You have to try this Healthy Lemon Thyme Chicken for dinner! Light, simple and fresh – it’s perfect for any time of the year!
If you’ve been following us for some time – you know that we meal prep every single week. Last week we had gone to Costco and bought a ton of chicken, and lemons – so I knew that whatever I would be making for the week would have both of those items in it. When we got home I was trying to figure out something to pair it with.. I found some thyme in the freezer, and had my new Basil essential oil so I thought I’d test them out together.
I hate spending too much time meal prepping over the weekend, especially when it’s really nice out. So I kept this recipe pretty simple. The lemon + thyme flavor pairing is SO delicious.
I was in a rush to take these pictures before the sun went down- but this dish is perfect when paired with fresh veggies that are in season right now like asparagus. I drizzled asparagus with EVOO, salt + pepper and baked it at 350 for 5 minutes as a side dish. I also made some quinoa (cooked with chicken stock, salt, pepper & EVOO). The chicken is very light and would pretty much pair well with anything!
- 8 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- ½ c fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 c chicken stock
- 8 drops basil essential oil (Optional but recommended. Can sub basil leaves or dried basil)
- ½ wine
- Olive Oil (1/4 c or more)
- Fresh thyme
- Salt & pepper
- Clean chicken and pound until thin. (I prefer my chicken really thin, so I butterflied the meat. You can just pound the 8 breasts if you prefer your chicken thicker)
- In a large pan – heat olive oil. Once olive oil is hot- add in chicken.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt + pepper. Sear chicken on both sides.
- Cook chicken on both sides until light brown.
- While the chicken is cooking mix together lemon zest, juice, stock, wine and basil essential oil.
- When chicken is cooked, remove from pan and set in a dish on the side.
- Once all of the chicken is cooked and removed from the pan, add in wine/stock/juice mixture.
- Allow the stock mixture to come to a boil, stirring every minute. Once boiling, add chicken + fresh thyme to the mixture and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes.
- This recipe is also great if you add in artichoke hearts, or sub the thyme with rosemary.
Items we used for this recipe: Now Foods Basil Oil , Microplane Zester
Do you have a favorite weeknight dinner or meal prep recipe? Let me know in the comments!
Pin it for later:
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.“Affiliate” means that we make a little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. We appreciate your support!