This Clean Eating Chicken Tenders Recipe is the perfect guilt free, healthy dinner! Made with only 7 ingredients – they’ll become a staple in your home! Gluten free, whole 30 and paleo substitutions are available in the recipe – making this the perfect dinner for anyone!
When I was growing up.. I basically lived off of chicken nuggets/chicken tenders + pasta. I was the PICKIEST eater ever. I seriously don’t know how my mom dealt with me. Chicken tenders were my go to meal of choice whenever we would go out to eat, accompanied by a giant pile of fries (duh). But here’s the thing with chicken tenders/chicken nuggets. In addition to being fried (we all know that’s no good for you), their ingredients are seriously questionable.. from the chicken on the inside, to the batter on the outside.
I know… sorry to be that girl…but it’s the truth. A lot of chicken tenders/nuggets are packed with fillers. And then the breading.. have you ever looked at the back of a breadcrumbs container? There is some gross stuff in there. Some brands add corn syrup, shortening and preservatives. Don’t ask me why.
I’ll step off my ingredient soap box now so we can focus on what’s really important.. THESE chicken tenders that have no junk, are super crispy and sooo yummy!
You only need 7 ingredients to make these Clean Eating Chicken Tenders, and unlike most ones that you’ll find in restaurants – they’re baked, not fried. I promise you won’t even know the difference though. The coconut flakes make these super crunchy, but also give them a slightly grown up feel. (Even though I still eat them with my hands and dunk them in copious amounts of condiments…whatevs.) Whenever I’m feeling lazy, this is my go to meal. I typically will bread the chicken before going to the gym, and Ty puts them in the oven when he gets home from work. Super quick, super easy, and we both love them! I think you will too.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cleaned, pounded slightly + cut into strips
- ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs*
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 450
- Clean and pound 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts + cut into 'tender' strips.
- In a small bowl mix together coconut, bread crumbs + almond meal.
- In a separate bowl mix beat one egg and milk
- Dip the chicken into egg mixture, and then dip into breading until all chicken is coated.
- Spread chicken out on to lined, greased baking sheet
- Bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 10 minutes until outside of chicken is crunchy.
- *To make this recipe gluten free sub whole wheat bread crumbs for gluten free bread crumbs. To make this recipe Whole 30 + Paleo friendly sub whole wheat bread crumbs for coconut flour.
Things we used for this recipe: unsweetened shredded coconut, whole wheat bread crumbs, almond meal, pepper, silpat baking sheet
I always pair these Clean Eating Chicken Tenders along side my Healthy Baked French Fries and usually dip them in mustard. This one is one of my favorites, but I’ve also been loving this Organic Honey Dijon that is made locally in CT.
This is an older recipe, but I wanted to update the photos to show how delicious they really are. I’ve had countless people message me and say that their whole family loved these – including the pickiest of eaters! There is a reason why they’re my favorite recipe on the site. Once you try them, you’ll know why!
Do you have a food that you loved as a kid? Chicken tenders definitely top the list for me.. I’m so glad I now have a healthier option to satisfy my cravings!
Pin it for later:
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.“Affiliate” means that we make a little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. We appreciate your support!