Looking for a quick, delicious dinner? Try this One Pan Healthy Paella! It’s packed with protein, loads of veggies + whole grain brown rice – yum! This post is sponsored by Texmati® RiceSelect but all opinions are my own.
When Tyler and I first started dating, he had just come back from a school trip to Europe. He kept going on and on about how delicious the food was in Spain, and how he had loved the paella. Now… I feel like I have to preface this by saying that I was a pretty boring eater before I met Tyler. I’m Italian and grew up eating Italian food. I didn’t really think I needed to try any other region’s cuisine…because lets be real.. It’s going to be pretty hard to top pizza, pasta, chicken cutlets, homemade meatballs, tiramisu… you get what I mean right? Italians know how to cook, end of story! Naturally when he mentioned paella I was wondering what the HECK he was talking about!
Being the awesome girlfriend that I am… I decided to do some research and see what all the hype about this dish was/if I could recreate it. After some googling- I found out that paella was a traditional, spicy Spanish dish, usually made with a mix of sausage, fish and chicken. Minor problem.. I don’t eat fish, and find chorizo too greasy… so it was up to me to muddle together my own recipe. I surprised him for dinner with it one night, and while I don’t think it will ever compare to what he ate in Spain – I’ve been making it for the past six years now and he still loves it 🙂
Once you try it, you’ll probably fall in love with it too. In addition to being off-the-charts delicious from the spices, it’s a perfectly balanced meal! It has a lot of protein from the chicken, it’s loaded with bright, colorful veggies, and it has whole grain Texmati® RiceSelect Brown Rice in it for some carbs! I know I’ve said this before peeps.. but carbs = life. So many people are grain free/low carb/no carb.. but not me! The rice is what makes this dish. It’s really hearty and it takes on all of the delicious flavors from the spices. So yummy!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cubed in to 1 inch piece)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (separated)
- 2 large bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sugar snap peas
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 -5 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- pinch of saffron threads
- juice of one lemon and one lime
- 1 cup Texmati RiceSelect brown rice
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cook chicken for 10-15 minutes until light brown.
- Once cooked, remove chicken from the pan + set aside
- Add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Saute chopped onions and garlic until translucent. (Approx 5-7 minutes)
- Add in chopped peppers and sugar snap peas to the pan. Saute for 4-6 minutes (until vegetables are slightly tender.. don't over do the veggies, they will continue to cook in the broth later).
- Stir in dry rice with sauteed vegetables. Cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Add in chicken stock, spices + cooked chicken. Stir and bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- Once rice is cooked, stir in frozen peas. Serve with lime juice if you like it + enjoy!
I can’t believe how much I sheltered my taste buds back then! I’m so glad I’m much more adventurous when it comes to my food choices now.. Because I’d hate to miss out on something as delicious as this!
Pin it for later:
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.“Affiliate” means that we make a little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. We appreciate your support!