When I did Whole30 I became addicted to plantain chips.. I really love Trader Joe’s brand. They’re roasted in Sunflower seed oil, and only sprinkled with a little sea salt – making them gluten free, paleo and Whole30 approved 🙂
I had never cooked with plantains (or even seen them in my grocery store) until a few weeks ago. Tyler decided to grab some to experiment with in the kitchen. We decided to try to make our own version of plantain chips.
Some plantain chips are deep fried, but we wanted to go with a light option and just cook ours in a little bit of coconut oil. We cook the chips two ways – salty and sweet. For the salty ones, we cooked them and just sprinkled them with sea salt. For the sweet ones, just before they were done cooking we tossed them in honey, cinnamon, and ground ginger.
The sweet plantain chips were so simple and flavorful that I had to share the recipe with you all!
- 2 plantains (sliced thin)
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ c honey
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- In a large frying pan, melted 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil until the entire bottom of the pan is coated.
- Drop the plantain slivers one by one so that they are not over lapping.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes and then flip and repeat on the other side.
- The chips should be a golden brown.
- When the chips are done cooking, drizzle them with the honey, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Use a spatula to toss the chips until they are all evenly coated.
- Set the chips on parchment paper or a baking rack to allow them too cool off a bit.
Things we used for this recipe: Kelapo, frying pan
These are best eaten directly after they are cooked. They will store in the fridge for a few days, but taste best when warm.
Pin it for later:
The possibilities with these babies are endless! You can eat them as a snack, dessert.. or even use them as a topping for your breakfast pancakes like I did here! 🙂
Have you ever cooked a plantain before? If so – how did you do it?
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.“Affiliate” means that we make a little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. We appreciate your support!