Need an easy appetizer or fun dinner? Try these Sweet Potato Turkey Jalapeno Sliders! Low in fat, high in protein + packed with flavor – you’ll love them! They’re great for summer snacking or entertaining! This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Schreiber Foods, Inc. The opinions and text are all mine.
Have I mentioned we LOVE spicy food? Because we totally do! In fact…we’re kinda obsessed with it. I’m not sure if our taste buds have just become acquired to a kick with all of our meals, but you can always find us loading up whatever we’re eating with extra spices, peppers, or hot sauce. It’s just how we roll.
Last week we were having some friends over before going out for the night. Obviously being the good hostess that I am/ knowing how to #adult, I knew I had to feed these people. I was debating just grabbing my standard chips, salsa, and guacamole to have at happy hour, but while I was at the store grabbing ingredients to make that, I decided I wanted to do something different. Chips and salsa can get boring sometimes, ya know?
The previous weekend we had had the BEST sliders at a local restaurant. They were loaded with all kinds of toppings, and so yummy. When we were there the wheels were already turning on how I could make them better in my own kitchen. Knowing I’d have some people to test them out on that evening, I ditched the chips + salsa, and headed to the other aisles to grab what I needed.
All of the best burgers/sliders start with a good base. I wanted to do something different than your boring old buns. I’ve recently been loving sweet potato toast, but hadn’t tried it as a bun for a burger, so that’s what I decided to test! Rather than using ground meat, I swapped in turkey for the patties. I already had guacamole in my basket from earlier, and I added in a bag of onions… because caramelized onions = EVERYTHING on burgers!
You can have a great base for burgers, but if you don’t have good cheese…it’s pretty much a fail. You know what I’m talking about…that first bite of ooey-gooey melty cheese? I’m getting hungry just thinking about it. Cheese is basically the star of any good burger in my opinion. I didn’t want to do plain American on these babies…so I headed to find my favorite spicy cheese –Heluva Good! ® Jalapeño Jack! I’ve loved Heluva Good! Cheese for a while because their flavors are so on point, and they have great ingredients! I purchased an 8 oz block of Jalapeño Jack at Big Y for these burgers, but I was torn on going with the Heluva Good! Colby Jack or Heluva Good! Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese. Both equally delicious! I love that they come in blocks, because I knew I would be able to cut up whatever was left over from the sliders and make a little cheese board with it!
The result was EPIC. I mean seriously…LOOK at these guys! The combo of the sweet potato, savory onions, spicy burger/cheese and the cool guac…out.of.this.world. You guys have to try them!
- Olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped/seeded fresh jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into ⅓ inch thick slices
- 16 small slices of Heluva Good! Jalapeno Jack Cheese, Sliced
- ¼ cup guacamole
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Bake sweet potato slices for 20 minutes until they start to brown, flip and bake for additional 10 minutes until they are thoroughly cooked (Tip: Microwave sweet potato for 1 minute to make it easier to cut into rounds*)
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, in a large pan, heat 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add sliced onions to the pan and cook on medium heat until they begin to caramelize (approximately 20 minutes). Be sure to consistently stir the onions so they don’t burn
- While the onions are cooking, mix together turkey, cilantro, jalapeno,pepper, chili powder, salt, and an egg.
- Roll the turkey mixture into one inch balls and flatten into small patties
- Once onions are completely caramelized, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add ½ tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, heat and cook turkey sliders (approx 6 minutes on each side)
- When burgers are cooked, add a Heluva Good! Jalapeno Jack cheese slices to the top of the burgers and cover the pan until they melt.
- Assemble sliders: potatoes, caramelized onions, turkey, melted Heluva Good! Jalapeno Jack Cheddar and guacamole.
- Serve + eat up!
Things we used for this recipe: Heluva Good! Jalapeno Jack Cheese, olive oil, pepper, chili powder, salt, cast iron skillet
These sliders are really perfect for any occasion. Our friends gobbled them up for happy hour, but they would be great as a quick snack by the pool or at a picnic! We all inhaled these, and Ty already requested that I make them again for dinner soon. They had the perfect amount of spice, and that delish Jalapeno Jack cheese seriously made the sliders that much better! c
I want to know what YOUR favorite burger type is? Do you like them with spicy add-ons?
Pin it for later: