Wondering about the 6 Reasons Why I Use Collagen? This post gives a review on Vital Proteins Collagen, benefits of collagen & why I use collagen everyday! This post is sponsored by Vital Proteins.
This post may include affiliate links. Click here to read my policy. Please note that this post is not intended to be taken as medical advice. Reach out to your doctor if you have questions about taking supplements.
By now, unless you’re living under a rock – you’ve probably heard about or seen Vital Protein’s bright blue packaging all over your Instagram feed. Heck.. I know you have to have seen it on our site too! We are lucky enough to get to partner with them every month and use their awesome products in our recipes. (Did you see these Copy Cat Mixed Berry RX Bars we made a few weeks ago??) Everyone is talking about their collagen + why they love it, so I figured I’d jump on the band wagon and tell you about the 6 reasons why I use collagen.
First off, you might be wondering: What is collagen?
Well, you might not know this – but I have literally no scientific/nutrition background what-so-ever other than the self taught knowledge I seek out every day. So, I’ll pull directly from the Vital Proteins website to give you the most accurate description. They’re the experts! “Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body and is a key constituent of all connective tissues. Collagen provides the infrastructure of the musculoskeletal system, essential for mobility. Collagen is the vital building block of our bodies including skin, hair, nails, bones, and joints. Our bodies cannot synthesize enough collagen on their own and our diets today contain minimal collagen.” (you can read more on their site here.) I can’t tell you whether or not I think you can benefit from collagen, or if it is safe for you to take – I think you should do your own research and make your own judgement call. I can, however, tell you the 6 reasons why I use collagen. You can purchase the collagen peptides I use on Amazon by using this link. Otherwise, you can purchase directly from Vital Proteins and save when you subscribe (20% off first purchase + 10% off after that)
6 Reasons Why I Use Collagen
1. Strong, Long Nails! OMG does collagen make my nails grow. I see a noticeable different from when I’m taking it vs when I stop (which is rare and only if I run out by chance!) I definitely think that the collagen helps not only make my nails grow, but keep them very strong. While I know it isn’t great for me – I do get gel manicures. If you’ve ever gotten a gel manicure, you know they can be tough on your nails! I find that when it comes time to take off the gel polish, my nails are still super strong + don’t feel brittle at all. Years ago my nails would break, peel, and just generally weren’t very healthy looking – now they’re totally strong and healthy
2. Full, Healthy Hair – Similarly to my nails, it also seems like collagen helps my hair grow like weeds! My hair has never been longer, thicker, or fuller. The only changes I’ve made over the past few years are using collagen, and not washing my hair as often. Typically I only wash my hair 2 times a week, which I think has definitely helped it – but I think the collagen is certainly helping too. (It even makes my eyebrows grow quicker!)
3. Smooth, hydrated skin. – I’m going on year two of taking collagen peptides every single day, and I can say without a doubt that my skin is clear, smooth, and looks fuller. While I’ve ever suffered from acne, I have had chronically dry skin and eczema basically since I was a baby. This is the first winter that my hands didn’t split, my lips weren’t uber chapped, and I didn’t have to coat myself in vaseline before going to sleep. I think this is also in part to the awesome natural skin care products I use, but there is no doubt that the collagen is helping too!
4. Gut Health – I think that taking collagen has helped my digestive system. I used to experience a lot of discomfort when eating, be bloated all the time, and typically feel overly full no matter what I ate. I think that the collagen helps regulate my system + protect/strengthen my stomach in a number of ways. Many people take collagen that have ‘leaky gut’ because it can help restore the lining of your stomach and repair damaged intestinal linings. If you suffer from this, I would definitely do your research to see if this can help you.
Joint Health – While I can’t tell right now if collagen is helping my joints, I hope that years from now when I’m 85 I’ll still be running around, jumping + lifting weights 🙂 In all seriousness though, as a fitness instructor – I work out a little bit more than the average person. Our ligaments, joints + tendons all have collagen in them – and if I can help my body recover from exercise in any way – I try to do it! You can read more about collagen + joint health here.
6. Added Protein – One serving of collagen has 20g of protein, which is a lot of protein! I roughly try to eat at least 100g-125g of protein a day (my body functions best on a higher protein, high fat, and lower carb diet, but everyone is different), which can be very difficult to get in without drinking a protein shake or smoothie. I always add collagen to my coffee or latte in the morning and tea at afternoon or night, so that’s an easy 20g of protein right there!
How I take collagen:
My most common way to take collagen is to mix it right in with my coffee. Usually I put 1 scoop in my coffee in the morning (1/2 a serving) , and then put another scoop in my afternoon coffee/tea or tea at night time. It dissolves right into water and I don’t think it has any taste. I take Vital Proteins regular Collagen Peptides, but they have so many fun other flavors of collagen. I love the Mixed Berry in smoothies, and the Bone Broth Collagen is great for adding to soups, stews + even stir fry’s! If you’re looking for more ways to use collagen, here are some of my favorite recipes on the site that use it.
Recipes Using Collagen:
So there you have it! Those are the 6 Reasons Why I Take Collagen, and I hope they’re helpful for you! As I discover more benefits/recipes that use collagen I’ll definitely keep updating this. If you want to purchase the collagen peptides on amazon you can use this link. Otherwise, you can purchase directly from Vital Proteins and save when you subscribe (20% off first purchase + 10% off after that). If you’re hesitant and want to try a sample – Vital Proteins just came out with this awesome Sampler Pack which has trial sizes of all their different products!