This Healthy Zucchini Tomato Bake recipe is an easy way to use up all your summer vegetables. Fresh, healthy and full of flavor- it’s the perfect side dish!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
Is there anything better than sweet tomatoes, fresh zucchini and melty cheese? Nope! And this Healthy Zucchini Tomato Bake is just that!
This low carb veggie side dish is easy, delicious and quick to make!
Years ago Tyler’s mom made a variation of this Healthy Zucchini Tomato Bake and I’ve loved it as a side dish ever since!
why we love this Zucchini Tomato Bake
This zucchini tomato bake is the perfect way to use up summer produce. Here’s why we love it:
- Easy to make: This recipe is super easy to make. Slice zucchini and tomatoes, layer them in a dish and top with a delicious olive oil cheese mixture
- Simple Ingredients: This recipe is made with only 6 simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand!
- Best way to use summer produce: This recipe really lets fresh zucchini and tomatoes shine! For another tomato recipe, try our Homemade Tomato Sauce!
We always have an abundance of squash and tomatoes, and it’s so quick to slice them up and bake them with a little bit of parmesan cheese!
If you’re looking for other healthy zucchini recipes – check out this Zucchini Bread, Zucchini Lasagna, or these 30 Healthy Zucchini Recipes!
Healthy Zucchini Bake Items:
To make this zucchini tomato bake you’ll need the following:
- Glass baking dish
- Olive oil
- Parmesan Cheese
- salt and pepper
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded substitutions box.
Truthfully this is one of the easiest dishes that you will ever make.
How to make Healthy Zucchini Tomato Bake:
This vegetable bake is SO easy to make.
- First – slice your zucchini + tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick.
- Then, layer zucchini + tomatoes in a pan. You can make a pattern like I did, or just toss them in there!
- Mix together your parmesan cheese, olive oil and herbs.
- Drizzle over veggies.
- Bake in the oven and you’re done!
It’s seriously so delicious and simple!
If your garden is over flowing, you just need a quick summer side dish, or you’re looking for an easy way to get in veggies this winter – this Healthy Zucchini Tomato Bake recipe for you!
What to Serve with Zucchini Tomato Bake:
This recipe is so versatile, it really goes with anything! Here are our favorite things to serve with this zucchini bake:
- Pineapple Grilled Chicken
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken
- Vegetable Primavera Pasta
- Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Best Baked Boneless Chicken Breast
Substitutions for zucchini tomato casserole recipe:
Veggies: You can use all green or all yellow squash in this recipe. You can also add chopped onion.
Chopped Veggies: You can chop all of the vegetables in pieces and mix them up in a bowl if you don’t want to arrange them. Chop in 1 inch cubes.
Fresh Basil: If you don’t have fresh basil, you can substitute 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
Oil: Olive oil is the best option for this recipe, but avocado oil will also work!
Mozzarella: We like to add 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella to this recipe for even more cheesiness!
Vegan: To make this vegan use vegan parmesan, or omit cheese completely
Breadcrumbs: This is delicious with 1/8 cup of panko breadcrumbs sprinkled on top!
Storing & Serving Zucchini Bake:
Making ahead: You can make this up to 24 hours in advance and bake when you’re ready to eat.
Storing: You can store this in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
Freezing: We don’t recommend freezing this dish. Frozen veggies can get very watery.
Zucchini Tomato Bake FAQ
The key to cooking zucchini so that it doesn’t get soggy is to not over cook it! Zucchini goes from being firm and delicious to a ball of mush in a matter of minutes!
Pretty much anything goes well with zucchini! It’s a very neutral vegetable. I like too serve this with Crockpot Shredded Chicken or Healthy Pulled Pork.
When cooking zucchini, make sure you watch it closely towards the end. It cooks very fast. The best thing to do is set a timer!
It’s easy to bake zucchini and tomatoes! Slice into 1/4 inch thick slices, layer in a glass baking dish and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Other healthy side dish recipes:
Check out these other healthy side dish recipes!
Healthy Zucchini Tomato Bake
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a pie dish or 8×8 baking dish with oil
- Slice the tomato and squash into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Layer the squash and tomato in a pattern, side by side until the pan is full
- Whisk together chopped basil, olive oil, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Pour it over vegetable mixture until covered.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until vegetables are slightly tender. If you like your vegetables cooked well, keep the dish in the oven for an extra 5-10 minutes.
- Optional: Top with additional parmesan and optional hot pepper flakes
- You can use all green or all yellow squash in this recipe
- You can chop all of the vegetables in pieces and mix them up in a bowl if you don’t want to arrange them. Chop in 1 inch cubes.
Leave a Review