This Vegan Penne Alla Vodka recipe is the perfect healthy dinner! Naturally dairy free, gluten free, nut free and SO creamy. Easy to make and delicious! This post is sponsored by my friends at Oatly.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
You are going to LOVE this Vegan Penne Alla Vodka. OMG.
It’s ridiculously creamy and rich, but totally dairy/nut free and actually made with good-for-you ingredients!
Typically penne alla vodka is loaded with dairy and can actually be really heavy, but this vegan penne alla vodka dish is very light and still delicious!
It’s also super easy to make. I had never made penne alla vodka at home and always ordered it at restaurants. I was surprised by how simple it was to make!
What you need to make Vegan Penne Alla Vodka:
You only need a few ingredients to make vegan penne alla vodka.
- Whole wheat or gluten free penne
- olive oil
- crushed tomatoes
- Oatly’s Barista Edition Oatmilk
Oatly’s Barista Edition Oatmilk is my new favorite dairy free milk. I love how rich and creamy it is.
You can easily substitute it in pretty much any recipe with a 1:1 ratio wherever you’d use whole dairy milk without even noticing the difference.
Unlike many other oatmilks, it actually has a creamy texture, and adds richness to dishes. You NEED to try it!
How to make Vegan Penne Alla Vodka:
Making dairy free vegan penne alla vodka is super simple. Here’s how to do it:
- Sauté onions/garlic until translucent. Add in your vodka. While this is cooking boil pasta.
- Add in your crushed tomatoes/spices. Cook until tomatoes start to thicken.
- Pour in oat milk and stir until creamy.
- Stir/heat until combined
- Add in pasta and toss with sauce….
- Then, EAT ALL THE PASTA!
I mean seriously.. LOOK how creamy that is! Can you believe it’s dairy free?! The Oatly Oatmilk is seriously incredible!
I served this to family and they couldn’t believe it was dairy free!
Substitutions for this dairy free penne alla vodka recipe:
This pasta is super versatile!
Pasta -You can use whatever pasta you like. We used whole wheat penne, but you can sub in gluten free penne, or other types of pasta shapes if you like!
Chicken/protein – If you are not vegan and want to add in cooked chicken/shrimp to this dish you can!
Cheese – We love that this recipe is dairy free, but if you wanted to sprinkle it with some Parmesan cheese – go right ahead!
Other delicious healthy pasta dishes:
- Vegan Pasta Fagioli
- One Pan Balsamic Chicken Pasta & Vegetables
- Healthy Pasta Primavera
- Chicken Broccolini Pesto Pasta
Vegan Penne Alla Vodka
- 1 lb whole wheat or gluten free penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 cup vodka
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 3/4 cup Oatly Barista Edition Oatmilk
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil + cook penne pasta per directions.
- In a separate pan- heat olive oil. Stir in garlic and onion and cook over medium heat until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in vodka and cook for additional 4-5 minutes until about ½ of the vodka has cooked off.
- Stir in tomatoes and spices. Cover and cook for 20 minutes on low, stirring occasionally.
- After 20 minutes, stir in Oatly Barista Edition Oatmilk. Add cooked pasta to the pan + toss to coat with sauce.
Substitutions for this recipe:
- Dried herbs – If you don’t have fresh basil/parsley you can sub in 1/2 tablespoon dried basil and 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Pasta -You can use whatever pasta you like. We used whole wheat penne, but you can sub in gluten free penne, or other types of pasta shapes if you like!
- Chicken/protein – If you are not vegan and want to add in cooked chicken/shrimp to this dish you can!
- Cheese – We love that this recipe is dairy free, but if you wanted to sprinkle it with some Parmesan cheese – go right ahead!
- WW Freestyle note: Cutting back olive oil to 1 tbsp would make it 10SP per serving. Using olive oil spray would make it 9SP per serving