Stuffed Acorn Squash
Turkey Mushroom Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash is a simple, nutritious dinner. Filled with winter flavors, naturally gluten free + perfect for a quick meal!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 4 people
WW Freestyle Points 5
- 2 whole acorn squash cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups baby bella mushrooms chopped
- 1 cup honey crisp apples peeled + chopped in small pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, gruyere or mozzarella all work great!)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment + spray with olive oil to prevent squash from sticking
Slice acorn squash in half, scoop out seeds and place flat on sheet sprayed with olive oil.
Bake the squash for 20 minutes, until it is tender when pierced with a fork
While the squash cooks - heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan. Sauté turkey in olive oil for 10-15 minutes until brown.
While the turkey is cooking, chop mushrooms, apples + herbs.
Add in chopped mushrooms, apples, chicken stock, and spices to the pan with the cooked turkey. Sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
When the squash is done, remove from the oven + scoop out most of the cooked center, leaving a little bit of filling in the acorn squash.
Add the squash filling to the turkey/mushroom/apple mixture in the pan+ stir until completely mixed in.
Scoop the turkey/squash mixture back into the squash + top with cheese of choice
Bake them at 450 for 5-10 minutes until cheese melts. Optional: broil for 2-3 minutes so the cheesy gets crispy.
Substitutions for this recipe:
- Meat- You can use ground beef, ground pork, sausage or ground chicken instead of turkey in this recipe if you'd like. We also have a Beef Stuffed Acorn Squash recipe.
- Whole30/Paleo - simply omit the cheese
- Mushrooms - If you don't like mushrooms, omit them. You could also add in some chopped onions in their place, but I would halve the amount.
- Herbs - If you don't have fresh rosemary, sub with 1 tablespoon dried rosemary. You can also sub with thyme.
- Cheese - Cheddar, mozzarella or gruyere are all delicious!
- Vegetarian - I haven't tried making this vegetarian, but I think it would be delicious if you subbed in chickpeas and a mix of quinoa or rice as the filling.
- WW Freestyle - The only points in this recipe come from the olive oil and cheese. Feel free to sub/adjust to have a lower point meal. Points calculated using 99% fat free turkey
Stuffed Acorn Squash
Amount Per Serving (0.5 acorn squash (1 out of 4 halves))
Calories from Fat 135
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 7g44%
Vitamin A 1120IU22%
Vitamin C 25.9mg31%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.