This Homemade Sugar Scrub is so easy to make. Made with only three ingredients and done in under 5 minutes, it’s the perfect homemade gift!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
This DIY Sugar Scrub is without a doubt going to be your new favorite way to treat yourself! It’s made with only 3 ingredients: sugar, coconut oil, and your favorite essential oils.
It’s great for using in the shower to exfoliate your skin, and it makes an awesome gift for the holiday season!
I’ve been a fan of sugar scrubs forever. I have super dry skin, especially in the winter, and find that exfoliating it helps keep it moisturized + healthy!
After years of paying for scrubs, I decided to make my own and was blown away by how simple (and cheap!) it was to make.
Benefits of using Homemade Sugar Scrub:
- Soft Skin – Using this scrub pretty much guarantees you’ll have soft skin. Sugar scrubs help to exfoliate off all the dry skin cells, leaving you with soft skin!
- Cheap – Making a homemade sugar scrub is SO much cheaper than buying them. It costs a fraction of the price!
- No harmful ingredients– Many sugar scrubs are filled with fragrances, chemicals, and all kinds of junk. This scrub just uses oil, sugar, and essential oils making it totally safe for your body!
Now I only make my own. Let me show you how easy it is to make!
Ingredients for DIY sugar scrub:
To make homemade sugar scrub you’ll need:
- cane sugar
- Essential Oils
- fractionated liquid coconut oil (or whatever you have on hand)
We love NOW® essential oils + use them for so many things! I’m constantly diffusing them throughout my house, but they add such a nice scent to these sugar scrubs!
The Lavender + Tea Tree is one of my favorites. I find the scent to be so relaxing! You can totally use whatever your favorite essential oils are though – I’ve made this with both citrus scents + eucalyptus and it was great!
How do you make a homemade sugar scrub?
- Gather all your ingredients.
- Whisk your ingredients together in a glass or stainless steel bowl. When combined, the sugar scrub should be soft and have almost a fluffy consistency.
- Store your sugar scrub in a glass jar + enjoy!
How to store DIY Sugar Scrub:
It’s necessary that you store this sugar scrub in a glass container. Essential oils can strip plastic and should always be stored in glass. I recommend storing this sugar scrub in an airtight container.
It will last up to 6 months if you’re careful not to get water in it, although I’m sure you’ll use it up before then 🙂
How to use Homemade Sugar Scrub?
I like to take about 1 tablespoon and exfoliate it all over in the shower. I rub the sugar scrub on my legs, arms, back, and stomach. My skin is left super smooth!
I wouldn’t recommend using this sugar scrub on your face only because your skin is much more sensitive on your face and the coarse sugar might be too abrasive.
DIY Sugar Scrub Substitutions:
Oil – You can sub in olive oil for coconut oil if preferred. You must use fractionated coconut oil. Regular coconut oil will solidify after you melt it. Apricot, jojoba, almond, or grapeseed oils will also work!
Essential Oils – Any essential oil scent will work well in this, I personally love lavender, eucalyptus, and tea tree, but citrus scents would also be great. (Be cautious when using citrus essential oils, as many can cause the skin to be more sensitive to sunlight) I love this blend.
Sugar – Brown sugar or turbinado sugar will also work. Turbinado sugar is rougher, so just be careful when using it!
Add ins – You can add things like lemon zest or lavender flowers to add texture and make your sugar scrub a little fancier. I’d add about 1/2 teaspoon.
Coffee: Ground coffee is another great addition to a sugar scrub. Feel free to stir in 1/4 cup of ground coffee to the scrub.
DIY Sugar Scrub FAQ
DIY Sugar scrub will last a few months. As long as you keep it sealed and avoid getting water in the container it should be fine for up to 6 months.
Yes, you can exfoliate your skin with sugar! Sugar is a great way to exfoliate your skin and will leave it super smooth
Any oil with work in a sugar scrub, but fractionated coconut oil or olive oil will work best.
You can put food coloring in a sugar scrub but we wouldn’t recommend it. It can stain your skin and showers. It’s also completely unnecessary.
If you love all things natural skincare – check out my Be Well Company Review – their skincare is the only brand I’ll use!
Homemade Sugar Scrub
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon fractionated liquid coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon essential oils
- In a stainless steel or glass bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
- Store in an airtight glass jar. To use, take 2 tablespoons + exfoliate on wet skin. It is best to use in shower!
DIY Sugar Scrub Variations:
- Oil – You can sub in olive oil for coconut oil if preferred. You must use fractionated coconut oil. Regular coconut oil will solidify after you melt it.
- Essential Oils – Any essential oil scent will work well in this, I personally love lavender, eucalyptus and tea tree, but citrus scents would also be great. (Be cautions when using citrus essential oils, as many can cause skin to be more sensitive to sunlight) I love this blend.
- Add ins – You can add things like lemon zest or lavender flowers to add texture and make your sugar scrub a little fancier. I’d add about 1/2 teaspoon
Click here to pin this for later.
Disclaimer: Natural essential oils are highly concentrated and should be used with care. Do not exceed dilutions recommended for this recipe. For adults only. Keep out of reach of children. Not for internal use. Eucalyptus oil may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. Avoid contact with eyes. Consult healthcare practitioner before using if pregnant/nursing. Not intended for use with pets. Discontinue and consult your healthcare practitioner if rash appears after skin contact.
Leave a Review