Need a quick, healthy, portable snack? Try this Whole 30 Key Lime Pie Bites Recipe! Paleo, gluten-free + SO delicious! They taste just like dessert! This post is sponsored by my friends at Vital Proteins but all opinions are my own.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
If you’re looking for an easy, healthy snack – these Whole30 Key Lime Pie Bites are for you!
I started making these healthy bites years ago when searching for an easy snack I could meal prep and take on the go.
When you do Whole30, it can get boring and expensive to eat the same things over again in terms of ’emergency foods’. Rather than buying compliant bars, I decided to make my own!
Now, before we go ANY further – if you’re doing a Whole30 I want to caution you. These bites are not meant to be used as a treat, or as dessert.
If you think these bites may trigger any cravings or your sugar dragon – please wait until you’re done with your Whole30 to make them!
If you’re someone who likes to have RX bars on hand for an ’emergency snack’ but you don’t want to pay for pricy bars, this is a great alternative to help you save some $$.
RX Bars are an approved ’emergency snack’ on Whole30. Throughout any Whole30 I’ve done, I’ve relied mostly on home cooked real foods, but there were a few times where I needed something in a pinch, and usually turned to RX Bars.
The last round I did, we happened to have a lot of dates lying around in the fridge, which are whole30 approved, so I figured it was worth trying to make my own RX Bars to save some $$.. just in a bite form
Anyways – let’s talk about these bites! Tyler’s favorite dessert ever is Key Lime Pie. He absolutely loves it. Years ago he had requested it for his birthday, and I made the whole thing from scratch. It took absolutely forever to make.
It was probably a four-hour ordeal. Now don’t get me wrong – it was delicious, but it took FOREVER to do.
I always feel bad because Ty is always asking me to make a healthy key lime pie for him, and I just never get around to it. When I wanted to make some bites over the weekend + we had an abundance of limes, I thought.. what if I make a Key Lime Pie Bite? That could be yummy!
The result was the perfect little snack bite that tasted just like dessert!
The collagen peptides have real vanilla bean powder in them, which gave a nice flavor to the batter, and I love that it gave them a little protein boost. It’s important to both of us to have high protein snacks.
These Whole 30 Key Lime Pie Bites are really just the perfect snack.
They’re so easy to make, portable, and a great for eating pre-workout. Usually it’s challenging for me to make a big breakfast + eat before I go to workout or teach at 5AM.
These are awesome to grab and go as I’m running out the door.
Adding the Vanilla Collagen Peptides to the batter was totally the way to go. You can taste the vanilla bean which gives a little sweetness to the bites, and they definitely keep me fuller because of the added protein. You guys have to try these!
Tips for making the perfect energy bite:
- Add in hemp seeds. With 10g of protein per serving, these little seeds added extra protein without giving the bites a weird consistency that a protein powder would.
- Use dates. I honestly had never cooked with dates until a few months ago, but they’re a great natural sweetener + act as the perfect binder in these.
- Liquid coconut oil works wonders. If your bites have every turned out grainy or dry, it’s probably because they were lacking enough oil. I just used a little bit of this and it made these soft + chewy.
- Use a softer nut like pecans for the base. I’ve found that almonds/cashews are a little harder which means they don’t blend as well and can give the bites a gritty taste.
How long do these energy bites last?
These bites will last up to 1 week if stored in an airtight container in the fridge. (they may last longer depending on the climate where you live/your fridge!)
Looking for other Whole30 Bite Recipes?
- Check out this list of 20 Whole 30 Energy Bites You Have to Try or this list of 30 No Bake Energy Balls.
- Whole30 Apricot Cashew Energy Bites
- Whole30 Lemon Poppy Seed Energy Bites
Whole 30 Key Lime Pie Bites
- Roll the dough into 1 inch bites. Optional: Dust the bites in coconut flakes + lime zest
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to a week