Looking for an easy, high protein treat? These Clean Eating Protein Donuts are the perfect healthy snack for those who have a serious sweet tooth! Made with simple ingredients, they’re gluten and dairy free while being totally delicious!
THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS.“AFFILIATE” MEANS THAT WE MAKE A LITTLE BIT OF MONEY IF YOU CLICK ON AND PURCHASE THE PRODUCTS THAT ARE LINKED. WE APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT! This post was originally shared in 2014, but the photos and content were updated.
A couple of weeks ago I was perusing my favorite local kitchen equipment store when I spotted this Wilton donut pan. I picked it up.. and thought to myself “Do I really need this?” I then came to my senses and quickly realized.. yes, I absolutely do need this! About an hour later, I was in the kitchen experimenting with making Clean Eating Protein Donuts
Donuts are one of those things that most people (including myself) go crazy over. And I can’t really blame them. There’s just something about the combo of the fluffy pastry, with the sugary frosting or glaze that makes you want to eat a whole dozen by yourself.
But, as I’m sure you all know, donuts are loaded with refined sugar and fat (not the good kind). So what’s a girl to do? Simple… swap out the frying for baking, the sugar with honey, the flour with protein powder… and a few other tweaks. Easy, and delicious!
When I originally shared this recipe almost 4 years ago (SO crazy how time flies!) I was a whey protein fiend. I mean.. I was a protein shake post workout, protein muffin for breakfast, protein mug cake for dessert kinda gal. The more I could get the better! After doing Whole 30, I realized that whey was seriously irritating my stomach. It was contributing to making me bloated, gassy, and uncomfortable – so I said my goodbyes. Since then -my philosophy on food has changed a little bit, and while I love protein powder for a quick meal replacement on the occasion, I try to fuel myself with real food 95% of the time.
That being said, I know you guys love protein treats! These Clean Eating Protein Donuts are one of the most popular recipes on our website, only being beaten out by my Paleo Turkey Chili. Since this recipe was published a few years ago, I retested it a few different ways. Here’s how you can make the best donuts depending on what protein powder you use!
Helpful Tips for Making Clean Eating Protein Donuts:
- These donuts come out the best when you use whey protein powder. I used this Vanilla Whey Protein Powder. They come out perfectly moist, and I don’t think they have that protein-y taste.
- For plant based protein powder, this NOW Foods Vanilla Plant Protein worked great, but the donuts came out a little bumpy on top, rather than being smooth. See photo below. I think these also tasted great, but they do have a little bit of a protein like taste. I didn’t mind it at all. If you’re looking to make these vegan, I think substituting with a flax egg would work, but I’m not entirely sure!
- My favorite protein powder is this Egg White Protein Powder. It’s affordable, and only has one ingredient – egg whites! When I tried this the first time, they came out too dry. I would recommend adding 2 extra tablespoons of oil for best results.
I also have tested these with a few different flavor combos that are DELISH! You can use the recipe as a base and sub ingredients to make these flavors:
- Blueberry Pie: Vanilla Whey Protein, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 c blueberries (add at the end and just push into the tops of the donuts) Frosting: Cake Batter Coconut Butter
- Apple Spice: Vanilla Whey Protein, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ginger, pinch of cloves, 1/2 c finely chopped apples (add apples at the end and just press into the tops of the donuts Frosting: Cashew Coconut Butter
- Mocha: Vanilla Whey Protein, 1/2 tbsp finely ground espresso, 1/4 c finely chopped dark chocolate. Frosting: Dark Chocolate Coconut Butter
- Chocolate Peanut Butter: Chocolate Peanut Butter Whey Protein, 1/3 c finely chopped dark chocolate Frosting: Dark Chocolate Coconut Butter
Now.. who’s ready to make some donuts??
Clean Eating Protein Donuts
Looking for an easy, high protein treat? These Clean Eating Protein Donuts are the perfect healthy snack for those who have a serious sweet tooth! Made with simple ingredients, they're gluten and dairy free while being totally delicious!
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup protein powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 4 tbsp nut butter (optional, to use as frosting)
Preheat oven to 325
In a bowl, whisk together almond meal, oat flour, protein powder, baking soda + baking powder. Stir in wet ingredients. The batter should be somewhat thick, but if it is clumpy or difficult to stir, add a little more milk or water.
Spray your donut pan with coconut oil or cooking spray
Spoon batter into a ziploc bag, cut the corner off, and 'pipe' donuts into your pan.
Bake at 325 for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown
Allow donuts to cool + 'frost' with nut butter of your choice!
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 296, Total Fat: 21g, Total Carbs:17g Total Protein:11g
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that you can get so creative with it. You can use whatever protein powder flavor you’d like, and throw in your favorite add ins (fruit, chocolate chips, nuts, etc). The possibilities are basically endless! I hope you love this healthy treat as much as we do!
P.S. Here is what the plant based donuts looked like.. not super pretty, but they tasted yummy!
Click here to view these nutrition facts on My Fitness Pal.
Love donuts? Try our Double Chocolate Stuffed Donuts!
Or these Healthy Cappuccino Donuts