Clean Eating Protein Donuts are an easy, high protein treat. Made with simple ingredients, they’re gluten and dairy free while being totally delicious!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
Plus they have a delicious nut butter ‘frosting’ and even some sprinkles for good measure!
As I’m sure you all know, donuts are loaded with refined sugar and fat (not the good kind). So what’s a girl to do?
Simple… swap out the frying for baking, the sugar with honey, the flour with protein powder… and a few other tweaks. Easy, and delicious!
Helpful Tips for Making Clean Eating Protein Donuts:
- These donuts come out the best when you use whey protein powder.
- I used this Vanilla Whey Protein Powder. They come out perfectly moist, and I don’t think they have that protein-y taste.
- To make vegan: I used a plant based protein powder. This NOW Foods Vanilla Plant Protein worked great, but the donuts came out a little bumpy on top, rather than being smooth.
- My favorite protein powder is this Egg White Protein Powder.
- It’s affordable, and only has one ingredient – egg whites! When I tried this the first time, they came out too dry. I would recommend adding 2 extra tablespoons of oil for best results.
I also have tested these with a few different flavor combos that are DELISH! You can use the recipe as a base and sub ingredients to make these flavors:
Substitutions for these Healthy Protein Donuts
- Blueberry Pie: Vanilla Whey Protein, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 cup blueberries (add at the end and just push into the tops of the donuts) Frosting: Cake Batter Coconut Butter
- Apple Spice: Vanilla Whey Protein, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ginger, pinch of cloves, 1/2 cup finely chopped apples (add apples at the end and just press into the tops of the donuts Frosting: Cashew Coconut Butter
- Mocha: Vanilla Whey Protein, 1/2 tablespoon finely ground espresso, 1/4 cup finely chopped dark chocolate. Frosting: Dark Chocolate Coconut Butter
- Chocolate Peanut Butter: Chocolate Peanut Butter Whey Protein, 1/3 cup finely chopped dark chocolate Frosting: Dark Chocolate Coconut Butter
Now.. who’s ready to make some donuts??
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that you can get so creative with it. You can use whatever protein powder flavor you’d like, and throw in your favorite add ins (fruit, chocolate chips, nuts, etc).
The possibilities are basically endless! I hope you love this healthy treat as much as we do!
Other delicious healthy donut recipes:
Clean Eating Protein Donuts
- Preheat oven to 325
- In a bowl, whisk together almond meal, oat flour, protein powder, baking soda + baking powder. Stir in wet ingredients. The batter should be somewhat thick, but if it is clumpy or difficult to stir, add a little more milk or water.
- Spray your donut pan with coconut oil or cooking spray
- Spoon batter into a ziploc bag, cut the corner off, and 'pipe' donuts into your pan.
- Bake at 325 for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown
- Allow donuts to cool + 'frost' with nut butter of your choice!
- These donuts come out the best when you use whey protein powder. I used this Vanilla Whey Protein Powder. They come out perfectly moist, and I don't think they have that protein-y taste.
- To make vegan: I used a plant based protein powder. This NOW Foods Vanilla Plant Protein worked great, but the donuts came out a little bumpy on top, rather than being smooth. See photo below. I think these also tasted great, but they do have a little bit of a protein like taste. Sub 1 egg for a flax egg and swap honey with maple syrup
- My favorite protein powder is this Egg White Protein Powder. It's affordable, and only has one ingredient - egg whites! When I tried this the first time, they came out too dry. I would recommend adding 2 extra tablespoons of oil for best results.
P.S. Here is what the plant based donuts looked like.. not super pretty, but they tasted yummy!