Chocolate Covered Popcorn is the perfect dessert or snack. This recipe is vegan, gluten free and SO delicious! Low in calories and easily customizable!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
Is there anything better than salty, crisp popcorn drizzled with sweet, delicious chocolate? I don’t think so! Chocolate covered popcorn ranks pretty high on my list of favorite desserts.
I love making my own Chocolate Covered Popcorn because it’s delicious and easy. No crazy ingredients, little effort, and it looks so pretty! It’s the perfect DIY edible Christmas gift, or just a simple treat to make for a fun healthier dessert!
In addition to being easy to make, this chocolate covered popcorn is easy to customize too! There are tons of ways you can jazz up this popcorn to make it just to your tastes, which I’ve outlined below.
To make chocolate covered popcorn, you’ll only need a few things.
Ingredients for Chocolate Covered Popcorn
To make chocolate covered popcorn, you’ll need:
That’s it! You can also use a little bit of coconut oil which helps the chocolate melt easier, but it’s not necessary.
You can use chocolate chips or my favorite chocolate bars. Any chocolate will work, but I love dark chocolate!
You can make white chocolate covered popcorn, or milk chocolate covered popcorn as well – it’s up to you!
How do you pop popcorn?
We have this popcorn popper and it’s one of our favorite things… if you love popcorn, it makes it super easy to pop!
How do you make chocolate covered popcorn?
Making chocolate covered popcorn is super simple.
- Pop your popcorn.
- Once your popcorn is popped, lay it out on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and drizzle away with that chocolate!
The more chocolate the better, right?
What’s the Best Chocolate For Chocolate Covered Popcorn
As I mentioned earlier, it’s very easy to customize this chocolate covered popcorn. Here are a few of my favorite ways to customize it:
Other Mix In’s for Popcorn:
- Chopped nuts (peanuts would be delicious!)
- White Chocolate
- Shredded Coconut
- Chopped peppermints or candy canes for a festive touch!
I personally think customized chocolate covered popcorn would make an awesome gift for friends + family!
Tips for Making Covered Popcorn
- You can cheat and use store bought popped corn. Look for popcorn that is just popcorn + salt. I wouldn’t recommend using the packages of popcorn that need to be popped in the microwave though. Those get greasy, and in turn, will make for stale popcorn.
- Make sure to store it correctly– You CAN’T leave this popcorn out without a cover on it. It will quickly get stale and soggy! Make sure you store it in a covered container.
Chocolate Covered Popcorn FAQ
No, you can’t freeze chocolate covered popcorn. It will absorb water and get soggy as it defrosts.
The best way to keep chocolate popcorn from getting soggy is to cover it tightly with plastic wrap or put it in a container with a seal. It’s also best to make chocolate covered popcorn on a low humidity day. The humidity can make the popcorn soggy.
How Do You Store Chocolate Covered Popcorn?
It’s best to store this chocolate covered popcorn in an airtight container in a cool location. You’ll want to keep it away from the heat so the chocolate doesn’t melt!
Chocolate Covered Popcorn
- Prepare a parchment lined baking sheet. Once popcorn is popped, spread it out on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil until smooth. Using a spoon or fork – drizzle the chocolate/oil mixture until the popcorn is evenly coated.
- Allow the popcorn to set at room temperature for 30 minutes. Store in airtight containers or bags to maintain freshness.