The best Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting – a must try! This light cream cheese frosting is easy to make with only a few ingredients!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
Cream cheese frosting is such a classic topping to many baked goods, especially carrot cake but can be high in sugar and unhealthy fats.
However, with a few simple substitutions, you can create a healthy cream cheese frosting that is just as tasty, without the guilt!
Made with a combination of cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and a touch of maple syrup, this frosting is creamy, flavorful, and a healthier alternative to traditional cream cheese frosting.
If you’re someone who loves tangy, sweet cream cheese frosting but wants to keep things on the healthier side or just wants something a little lighter, then this is the perfect recipe for you.
What Makes This Cream Cheese Frosting Healthy?
- Unlike traditional cream cheese frosting, this recipe uses greek yogurt adding healthy protein and nutrients!
- Traditional frosting recipes use cups and cups of powdered sugar, this recipe only needs maple syrup to make it sweet and delicious
What cake goes with cream cheese frosting?
Let’s be real, you don’t even need a cake with this frosting… if I’m being honest I eat it by the spoonful.
BUT- it does make the perfect addition to our Healthy Carrot Cake, Healthy Carrot Muffins, and Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal. Dessert for breakfast? Sign me up!
Cream Cheese Yogurt Frosting Ingredients
- Neufchatel cheese softened to room temperature
- Greek Yogurt
- Maple Syrup
- Sea Salt
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
How to make Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting with Greek Yogurt
- In a mixing bowl, beat together all ingredients.
- Beat until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Maple Syrup – Honey makes a great alternative to maple syrup, both for the cake and the frosting. I would avoid substituting a granulated sweetener for the maple syrup as this has not been tested and might make the frosting grainy.
Greek Yogurt – I tested both full-fat and fat-free Greek yogurt in this recipe. Both worked great but I personally favored full-fat Greek yogurt as it made the frosting tastes richer.
Neufchatel cheese – Neufchatel cheese is very similar in taste and texture to cream cheese but it is lower in fat. If you are having trouble finding this ingredient you can substitute low-fat or regular cream cheese based on your preferences.
How to serve Healthier Cream Cheese Frosting
Use it to frost your favorite cakes & cupcakes or use it as a yummy fruit dip!
Not too Sweet Cream Cheese Frosting Tips
Use less sugar, or better yet no sugar! One of the best parts about this healthy recipe is the greek yogurt and maple syrup give it a tangy, tart flavor that’s not overly sweet
How to stabilize cream cheese frosting
- The best way to stabilize your cream cheese frosting is to put it in the fridge after its made
How to fix curdled cream cheese frosting
- Adding a little bit of cornstarch and placing your frosting in the fridge can help fix your curdled frosting
How to thin cream cheese frosting
- You can add a little bit of milk to help thin out your cream cheese frosting.
How to thicken cream cheese frosting
- Try letting your frosting set in the fridge, adding cornstarch, or even adding gelatin to help thicken your frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting Healthy FAQs
Yes, you can use milk instead of heavy cream for traditional cream cheese frosting, but this recipe doesn’t require either.
Use less sugar in your cream cheese frosting. This frosting already has a little less sweetness than traditional cream cheese frosting recipes.
How to store Cream Cheese Frosting
How long does cream cheese frosting last in the fridge? : This will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container
Freezing: We don’t recommend storing cream cheese frosting in the freezer. It’s best enjoyed fresh from the fridge.
How long can Cream Cheese Frosting sit out? You shouldn’t leave cream cheese frosting out for more than an hour.
What to do with leftover cream cheese frosting? You can do anything with leftover frosting! lather it between Healthy Oatmeal Cookies, top off your favorite Sweet Potato Pancakes or Black Bean Brownies, or enjoy it as your favorite Healthy Fruit Dip
Other healthy dessert recipes:
Looking for other easy desserts? Check out these easy, simple recipes!
Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 8 oz. Neufchatel cheese softened to room temp
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the softened Neufchatel cheese, Greek yogurt, maple syrup and a pinch of salt.
- Beat until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Use to frost your favorite cakes & cupcakes or use as a yummy fruit dip!
Leave a Review