This Healthy Apple Crisp recipe is gluten/dairy free, and sweetened with just maple syrup. Naturally sweet & delicious it’s the perfect healthy dessert!
This Healthy Apple Crisp is hands down my favorite healthy fall dessert. In addition to being SO delicious, this comes together in under 30 minutes, is naturally gluten and dairy free, has only eight ingredients and is sweetened with just a touch of maple syrup.
It’s seriously the best way to use up any apples you have lying around.
(P.S. If you’re looking for other ways to use up apples – check out these 30 Healthy Apple Recipes!)
I’ve always been a fan of ‘crisps’ when it comes to dessert. They’re much lighter than pie (which is also super delicious!) and crumble (which typically has more butter, sugar and flour in it). I’ve gotten this question before, so you might be wondering..
What’s the difference between crisp and crumble?
Crisps are typically made with oats as the base, while crumbles typically have a flour/butter based topping. I added some chopped pecans for crunch, healthy fats, and flavor!
What are the best apples to use for apple crisp?
This post from Bon Appetit goes in depth on the best apples for baking. I like to bake with Pink Lady apples. They’re a little sweet and a little tart so I find them perfect in desserts! Braeburn or Honeycrisp are also delicious and hold up well. Really – any apple will work in this recipe!
This Healthy Apple Crisp requires minimum ingredients. Here is what you’ll need for this recipe:
What you need to make Healthy Apple Crisp
How to make apple crisp:
Making apple crisp literally couldn’t be easier. Here’s what to do!
- Peel + slice your apples
- Toss your apples with coconut oil/spices
- Mix together your crisp topping.
- Lay your apples in a bowl, top with crisp.. and bake!
30 minutes in the oven and you’ve got warm, delicious healthy apple crisp ready to enjoy!
I’m not saying you need to top it with vanilla ice cream… but I personally wouldn’t be opposed if you did.
Substitutions for this recipe:
- Nut Free – To make this nut free you can omit pecans. If you’d like to add in some crunch you could sub in sunflower seeds.
- Oil – You can sub coconut oil with olive oil or avocado oil
- Other fruit – This recipe will work great by adding other berries like blueberries, raspberries and strawberries!
- Maple Syrup – You can sub maple syrup with honey
- Weight Watchers – Save 2 SP per serving by omitting pecans
Other healthy apple recipes:
- 30 Healthy Apple Recipes
- Paleo Apple Cinnamon Ice Cream
- Healthy Apple Cider Bread
- Healthy Apple Muffins
- Turkey Mushroom Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash
Healthy Apple Crisp
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare a greased 8x8 baking dish
- Peel + cut apple slices into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Melt coconut oil. Toss apples with coconut oil, cinnamon + ginger. Set aside.
- Mix together crisp topping.
- Pour apples into bottom of the baking dish. Layer crisp topping evenly on top of apples.
- Bake at 350 for 20 mins until apples are fork tender and crisp topping is golden brown