This Healthy Apple Crisp recipe is gluten/dairy free, and sweetened with just maple syrup. Naturally sweet & delicious it’s the perfect healthy dessert!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
This Healthy Apple Crisp is hands down my favorite healthy fall dessert. In addition to being SO delicious, this comes together in under 30 minutes, is naturally gluten and dairy free, has only eight ingredients and is sweetened with just a touch of maple syrup.
It’s seriously the best way to use up any apples you have lying around.
(P.S. If you’re looking for other ways to use up apples – check out these 30 Healthy Apple Recipes!)
I’ve always been a fan of ‘crisps’ when it comes to dessert. They’re much lighter than pie (which is also super delicious!) and crumble (which typically has more butter, sugar and flour in it).
This Healthy Blueberry Crisp is one of my favorite desserts!
I’ve gotten this question before, so you might be wondering..
What’s the difference between crisp and crumble?
Crisps are typically made with oats as the base, while crumbles typically have a flour/butter based topping. I added some chopped pecans for crunch, healthy fats, and flavor!
What makes this apple crisp healthy?
Traditional apple crisp is made with lots of butter and sugar. This apple crisp is much better for you! Here’s why
- Whole Grains – We use old fashioned oats instead of refined flour for the crisp topping
- Low sugar – Rather than using regular sugar, we use just a little bit of maple syrup and allow the sweetness of the apples to come through
- No butter – Instead of using butter, we’re using coconut oil which is more nutritious!
What are the best apples to use for apple crisp?
This post from Bon Appetit goes in depth on the best apples for baking. I like to bake with Pink Lady apples. They’re a little sweet and a little tart so I find them perfect in desserts!
Braeburn or Honeycrisp are also delicious and hold up well. Really – any apple will work in this recipe!
This Healthy Apple Crisp requires minimum ingredients. Here is what you’ll need for this recipe:
What you need to make Healthy Apple Crisp
How to make apple crisp:
Making apple crisp literally couldn’t be easier. Here’s what to do! First, peel + slice your apples (You can also leave the skin on if you like! Once peeled, toss your apples with coconut oil/spices.
Set aside. In a small bowl – mix together your crisp topping.
Lay your apples in a baking dish, top with crisp.. and bake!
30 minutes in the oven and you’ve got warm, delicious healthy apple crisp ready to enjoy!
Topping it with vanilla ice cream pretty much is a must. It’s SO good.
Substitutions for this lighter apple crisp recipe:
This is a pretty versatile recipe. Here are some substitutions you can make!
- Nut Free – To make this nut free you can omit pecans. If you’d like to add in some crunch you could sub in sunflower seeds.
- Oil – You can sub coconut oil with olive oil or avocado oil. Vegetable oil will also work.
- Other fruit – This recipe will work great by adding other berries like blueberries, raspberries and strawberries! (We also have a berry crisp recipe!) Dried raisins or craisins would also be a yummy add in!
- Maple Syrup – You can sub maple syrup with honey
- Weight Watchers – Save 2 SP per serving by omitting pecans
- Oats – You can not substitute steel cut oats for old fashioned oats. It will now work. Quick cook oats will work.
Storing/Serving Apple Crisp
Storing: This apple crisp will stay in the fridge for 3-4 days
Freezing: We haven’t tried freezing this recipe but we don’t think it would freeze well. The topping would lose it’s crisp.
Serving: We recommend serving this apple crisp with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. It’s also great with a scoop of vanilla yogurt.
Preparing in advance: You can prepare this recipe 3-4 hours in advance of baking it. Keep it in your refrigerator until you are ready to bake.
Other healthy apple recipes:
We LOVE apples, and making all the things with them. Here are some of our favorite healthy apple recipes!
- 30 Healthy Apple Recipes
- Paleo Apple Cinnamon Ice Cream
- Healthy Baked Apples
- Healthy Apple Cider Bread
- Healthy Apple Muffins
- Turkey Mushroom Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Apple Pork Tenderloin Sheet Pan Dinner
Healthy Apple Crisp
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare a greased 8x8 baking dish
- Peel + cut apple slices into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Melt coconut oil. Toss apples with coconut oil, cinnamon + ginger. Set aside.
- Mix together crisp topping.
- Pour apples into bottom of the baking dish. Layer crisp topping evenly on top of apples.
- Cover apple crisp with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 20 mins. After 20 minutes, remove cover and bake for another 10-20 minutes until apples are fork tender and crisp topping is golden brown.