Turkey Mushroom Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash is a simple, nutritious dinner. Filled with winter flavors, naturally gluten free + perfect for a quick meal!
This post may include affiliate links. Click here to read my policy.
This Turkey Mushroom Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash is perfect for eating on a cold fall/winter night. Acorn squash gets roasted to perfection and tossed with protein packed turkey, mushrooms, apples and melty cheddar cheese for the perfect salty and sweet combo. Done in under an hour and SO easy to make, this stuffed acorn squash recipe is going to be your new favorite.
If you’ve never made stuffed acorn squash, you’re in for a treat. I love making stuffed squash recipes, and they’re some of the most popular recipes on my website! Every fall these Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Boats and Paleo Turkey Taco Stuffed Delicata Squash are always a hit! Stuffed squash recipes are great because they’re affordable (it’s always great to eat in season!), they’re packed with great healthy carbs, and they’re just super yummy!
This Turkey Mushroom Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash recipe is the ultimate cheesy, filling, protein packed delicious dinner! Like all great dinner recipes – this was made with only a few ingredients, and done in under an hour. Lean ground turkey, mushrooms + apples are seriously the most delicious combination!! We love this recipe because it’s very versatile. You can leave off the cheese for an awesome, hearty, paleo/whole30 meal, or you could even add some rice or quinoa if you’re looking for a heartier, more carb based meal! (I’m slightly biased on the whole cheese thing though, cause.. I mean…look at that bubbly, brown, cheesy goodness!!)
How to cut and prepare acorn squash
- To cut acorn squash, slice from the stem towards the pointed edge of the squash directly down the middle. Acorn squashes have ridges in them, so if you can find a ridge to guide the knife through it will be easier to cut
- Once the acorn squash is cut in half, scoop out the seeds. You can just use a regular spoon. Make sure you scrape the inside of the squash until it is smooth and not stringy (use some muscles!) Discard the seeds.
- Your acorn squash is now ready to roast!
Can I make this stuffed acorn squash paleo or whole30?
Yes. To make this Turkey Mushroom Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash paleo or whole30 just leave off the cheese!
Will this recipe also work with spaghetti squash?
I haven’t tried making this recipe with spaghetti squash but I’m sure it would be delicious! Check out this recipe for Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Boats to see how to cook the squash. I would follow the directions in that post and just sub in this filling instead of the chicken/broccoli filling.
What kind of apples should I use?
You can use any type of apple in this recipe and it will be yummy, however – I prefer honey crisp apples! They’re my favorite
Looking for more healthy dinner recipes? Try these!
- Paleo Turkey Taco Stuffed Delicata Squash
- Whole 30 Greek Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bake
- Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Boats
Turkey Mushroom Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 2 acorn squash halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup honeycrisp apples, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, gruyere or mozzarella all work great!)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment + spray with olive oil to prevent squash from sticking
- Slice acorn squash in half, scoop out seeds and place flat on sheet sprayed with olive oil.
- Bake the squash for 20 minutes, until it is tender when pierced with a fork
- While the squash cooks - sauté turkey in olive oil for 10-15 minutes until brown.
- Add in chopped mushrooms, apples, chicken stock, and spices to the pan with the turkey. Sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- When the squash is done, remove from the oven + scoop out most of the cooked center.
- Add the squash filling to the turkey/mushroom/apple mixture in the pan+ stir until completely mixed in.
- Scoop the turkey/squash mixture back into the squash + top with cheese of choice
- Bake them at 450 for 5-10 minutes until cheese melts, and then broil for 2-3 minutes so the cheesy gets crispy.
- To make this Turkey Mushroom Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash paleo or whole30 just leave off the cheese!
Click here to pin this recipe for later: