These Healthy Mocha Brownies are gluten free and have a secret ingredient. They’re moist, chewy, and loaded with chocolate! You’re going to love them!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
It’s no secret that I’m a chocoholic. I have a minimum of one small square of 80% dark chocolate every day- sometimes more.. and these Healthy Chocolate Truffles or Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies– don’t even get me started!
It’s one of my only vices (other than pasta, of course!) I’m always looking for new ways to bake with chocolate…but somehow, I always find myself falling back to brownies.
Brownies are definitely one of my favorite desserts, and judging by how popular my Almond Butter Brownies are, it seems like you like them too!
There are few things better than biting into a warm fudge-y, chocolate-y dessert. Unless of course.. you add coffee to them as I did with these Healthy Mocha Brownies. Hellloooo new fav treat!
Ingredients for healthy black bean brownies:
These healthy mocha brownies don’t need a lot of oil, butter, or sugar. Their ingredients are pretty simple, and include a secret healthy ingredient… black beans!
The black beans give these brownies a yummy, chewy texture and some added protein and healthy fats (win win!). These healthy mocha brownies are also gluten free AND dairy free!
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- cooked black beans
- coconut oil
- vanilla extract
- gluten free oat flour
- cocoa powder
- baking powder
- finely ground coffee
- chocolate chips
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded substitutions box.
Next time you’re looking to make this popular dessert, skip the box mix or sugary homemade recipes and try this recipe. You won’t be disappointed + you can trick all your friends & family into eating something healthy!
If you love healthier desserts, try these Protein Cookies.
Substitutions for this recipe:
Oil – You can use avocado or olive oil in this recipe
Chocolate – You can use any chocolate you like in this recipe. Chopped dark chocolate is delicious!
Storing & Serving Mocha Brownies:
What is the best way to store brownies so they do not get stale? I store these brownies in the refrigerator to maintain freshness. I find that because these aren’t made with traditional flour/sugar – they can get stale quicker. Keeping them in the fridge helps keep them fresh! They will last 3-4 days (if they make it that long!)
Freezing: These brownies freeze really well! I like to bake them, allow them to cool, slice them and then freeze them. Whenever I want to enjoy one, I just pop them in the microwave! They should be good for up to 3 months.
Healthy Mocha Brownies
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 15 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed well about 1 ½ cups after draining
- ½ cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt optional
- 1 tablespoon finely ground coffee
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips + extra sprinkling
- Pour the batter into the greased pan. Spread evenly with the rubber spatula. Sprinkle the top of the brownies with some extra chocolate chips and place the pan in the oven. Bake for about 28-32 minutes or until the brownies have fully risen and a toothpick can be inserted into the center and comes out clean (don’t worry if the toothpick has melted chocolate on it!).
- Allow brownies to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing them from the pan and cutting.
- Oil – You can use avocado or in this recipe
- Chocolate – You can use any chocolate you like in this recipe. Chopped dark chocolate is delicious!