The Best Sweet Potato Muffins Recipe! Made with simple ingredients, these gluten free sweet potato muffins are healthy and delicious!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
These lightly spiced sweet potato muffins are packed with good-for-you ingredients! Roasted sweet potatoes, oat flour, toasted pecans, cinnamon, and maple syrup give these muffins all the warm flavors of sweet potato pie, without the guilt.
Perfect with a cup of coffee in the morning or as a healthy and filling snack in the afternoon. I know you are going to love them!
I’m SUPER excited to be adding these sweet potato muffins on my site alongside some of my favorite other healthy muffin recipes like Protein Banana Muffins, Apple Muffins, Blueberry Muffins, and Pumpkin Muffins. If you want to see all my favorites, check out these 30+ Healthy Muffins!
Why We Love Gluten Free Sweet Potato Muffins
There’s a lot to love about these healthy fluffy muffins. They’re delicious and easy to make.. but they are also:
- Made with Gluten-Free Oat Flour – I swapped white flour for Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Oat Flour. This is one of my favorite gluten-free flours to bake with. I find that it easily swaps into pretty much any recipe, and amps up the fiber/protein content.
- Flavored with spices– Most of the flavor in these healthy muffins come from natural ingredients and spices, rather than fat or sugar.
- Sweetened with applesauce and maple syrup – There is no classic white sugar in this recipe. Just the sweetness from the potatoes & maple syrup.
Sweet Potato Muffins Gluten Free Ingredients
To make these muffins you’ll need:
- mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- applesauce, milk
- maple syrup, vanilla extract
- oat flour
- cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder
- salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger
- chopped pecans, chocolate chips
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
We also love these silicone muffin liners for baking!
How to Make Sweet Potato Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and line two muffin pans with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, beat together sweet potatoes, eggs, applesauce, milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate large bowl combine oat flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger with a fork or whisk.
- Add the sweet potato mash to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips if using.
- Spoon batter in each liner until ¾ full. Sprinkle chopped pecans and more chocolate chips over the tops of the muffins. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until muffins are set. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Sweet Potato Muffin Substitutions
Sweet potatoes: These muffins can be made using pumpkin puree or canned butternut squash in place of the sweet potatoes. Leftover sweet potatoes also would work great!
Can I use yams instead of sweet potatoes? Yes, yams will work in place of sweet potatoes.
Egg: I haven’t tried making this with an egg substitute so I’m not sure if it would work.
Oat Flour: You can make your own flour by following this Homemade Oat Flour Recipe. You can’t use coconut flour or almond flour in this recipe. I haven’t tried this recipe with whole wheat flour but I think it would work!
Can I replace flour with sweet potato? No, you can’t replace flour with sweet potatoes. It will turn into a mushy mess!
Tips for Best Sweet Potato Muffins:
- For perfectly sweet and extra caramelized roasted sweet potatoes, scrub whole sweet potatoes and roast in a 400 ℉ oven for 2 hours. Place potatoes directly on the top rack, with a pan on the lower rack to catch juices. (I like to make these for dinner one night and roast an extra one to make these muffins)
- Make your own oat flour: Oat flour can be expensive, but it is so easy to make your own at home. To make a batch of oat flour: Add 4 (or more) cups of traditional rolled oats to the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse and process until the oats are finely ground into a powder. This takes about 3 minutes. Sift through a fine mesh strainer. Anything left in the strainer can be re-processed in the next batch of oat flour that you make. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Use leftover sweet potatoes for an easy muffin recipe!
How to Serve Muffins
These muffins are great topped with peanut butter, on their own as a snack, or alongside a breakfast dish like our amazing Sheet Pan Breakfast or, for an on-the-go breakfast, with our Egg Muffin Cups!
Sweet Potato Muffins Recipe FAQ
We recommend fresh, but you should be able to substitute canned for fresh in this recipe, but be sure to look out for extra sugar or potatoes canned in syrup as that will change the flavor and nutrition facts.
There are 32g of carbs per serving of these muffins.
Sweet potato muffins can turn a green hue due to oxidation. They’ll be perfectly safe to eat!
Sweet Potato Muffin Recipe Storage
How to store sweet potato muffins?: They will last up to a week in the refrigerator. I don’t recommend storing them on the counter, because they can get moldy very quickly.
Freezing: Yes, you can freeze these muffins. I recommend laying them flat in a reusable Ziploc bag and freezing them so that they don’t stick together.
Reheating: To defrost or warm, microwave, or put them in a toaster oven.
Other healthy muffin recipes:
Are you looking for other easy muffins? Here are some of our other favorite muffins:
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato pureed or mashed
- 2 eggs room temperature
- ½ cup applesauce unsweetened
- ⅓ cup milk regular or dairy free
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups oat flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup chocolate chips optional, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips if using.