Healthy Banana Muffins are a simple, yummy treat! Easy to make with only 10 ingredients – these banana bread muffins are great for breakfast or a snack! Refined sugar free and made with whole grains in one bowl- you’ll love these!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
These are seriously the best banana bread muffins. I know that’s a bold statement but it’s TRUE.
Our Healthy Banana Bread and Healthy Banana Protein Muffins have been wildly popular on the site for years and the other day I realized that we needed a regular good old fashioned healthy banana muffin on our site for all of you.
We happened to have brown bananas in the freezer just waiting to be baked with.. so here we are!
You might be thinking… well this is the 4,000th banana bread related recipe I’ve seen so…
What makes this Banana Bread Muffin Recipe so great?
There are lots of recipes out there for healthy banana muffins but these are the best because they’re easy, yummy and quick to make (less than 30 minutes!) Here’s why we love them:
- Easy to make: These muffins are made with 10 ingredients you probably already have in your pantry/fridge. Nothing fancy here!
- Delicious: Probably the most important factor. These muffins taste like a ‘real deal’ banana muffin, but they’re made with better ingredients!
- Whole wheat flour: I used whole wheat flour in this recipe rather than bleached white flour. Whole wheat flour is a great source of whole grains and much better for you than regular white flour! This is the whole wheat flour I like.
- Low in sugar: This recipe is sweetened only by ripe bananas and a touch of honey (and some chocolate chips for good measure) Many banana muffins recipes are loaded with sugar, but this recipe has only 9g of natural sugar per muffin.
- Heart healthy fats: Instead of using butter or canola oil, this recipe uses coconut oil to keep it moist, and it also has some walnuts in it for healthy fats!
Now, let’s get into baking these healthy banana bread muffins!
Banana Muffins Healthy Recipe Ingredients
To make these muffins you’ll need:
- coconut oil
- an egg
- whole wheat flour
- baking powder and baking soda.
- Nutmeg, ground ginger, chocolate chips and walnuts are all optional!
How to Make the Best Healthy Banana Muffin Recipe
Making these low sugar banana bread muffins are SO easy. First, gather all your ingredients.
- Mash your bananas. I like to use a fork and usually pop the bananas in a microwave for about 20 seconds before mashing so they’re easier to work with. (More tips on mashing bananas below!)
- Whisk in your wet ingredients until smooth: (honey, egg + coconut oil.)
- Add in your dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices.
- Add in chocolate chips or walnuts (the best part!!) You can omit walnuts if you have a nut allergy or don’t like them. Pecans also work.
- Pour batter in a lined muffin tin.
- Bake per instructions.
Substitutions for this Healthy Banana Bread Muffin Recipe
There are a bunch of different substitutions for this healthy banana bread recipe. Work with whatever you have in your pantry/fridge!
WW Freestyle Note/Nutrition Facts : The points/nutrition facts for this recipe were calculated using Lily’s Chocolate Chips
To make gluten free: replace whole wheat flour with Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Flour
Flour: You can replace whole wheat flour with white flour but your muffins might be a little more dense. I would not recommend almond flour, coconut flour, or oat flour. You can not substitute these flours 1:1 with whole wheat flour.
Healthy Banana Bread: Use this recipe for our favorite Healthy Banana Bread instead
Blueberries: You can add in a 1/2 cup of blueberries to this batter for a fun twist or try these Dairy Free Blueberry Muffins
Adding protein: if you want to up the protein content, try these Healthy Banana Protein Muffins. There are a few tweaks to help them not dry out while adding protein powder
Mini Muffins: You can make these into mini muffins by cutting the bake time in half.
Frozen Bananas: You can use frozen bananas in this recipe. Defrost them in the microwave until they are warm before mashing them.
Tips for Banana Healthy Muffins:
These banana bread muffins are pretty foolproof to make, but here are some tips that might be helpful for you when making them!
- Use muffin tin liners: These reusable silicone muffin molds are great, or these disposable muffin liners.
- If you’re not using muffin liners: I typically grease my muffin tin liberally with coconut oil. You can also run a butter knife along the edges of the pan to help loosen the bread before taking it out.
- Brown bananas are the best – The browner/more spotty the banana is, the sweeter it will be and more delicious your muffins will be!
- Allow the muffins to cool completely for about 15 minutes before taking them out of the pan.
Bananas Aren’t Ripe Yet? How to Ripen Bananas Quickly
Yes you can. For best results, your bananas should be brown like in the photos. As bananas ripen they get sweeter and softer, making them perfect for banana bread! I had those bananas in my freezer which is why they look a little ‘frosty’
However, as long as your bananas aren’t green, you can make this muffin recipe. Yellow bananas will work just fine. I recommend microwaving them for about 20-30 seconds so they are easier to mash!
How do you mash bananas?
I have a two tips for mashing bananas: one: warm them up and two: use your mixer!
I usually put bananas in the microwave for 20-30 seconds before ‘mashing’ them. Then, I use a regular beater/paddle attachment and to mash our bananas (so easy!)
If you don’t have a mixer, just use a fork or a whisk! Just make sure you’re measuring them after mashing so you have the right amount of bananas.
How to Store Banana Healthy Muffin Recipes
Storing Banana Bread Muffins: You can store these muffins covered on your counter for a few days, but I recommend keeping them in the refrigerator for freshness! The muffin will last up to a week in the refrigerator – but will lose their freshness after about 3 days on the counter.
How to freeze Banana Bread Muffins: I like to freeze muffins in a reusable ziploc bag or a air-tight container. It’s best not to stack them on one another when freezing because they may stick together. When you’re ready to serve – pop in the microwave or the toaster oven until they’re warmed through.
Other healthy muffin recipes:
We adore healthy muffins! Here are some of our favorites!
- Healthy Gingerbread Muffins
- Healthy Apple Muffins
- Healthy Blueberry Muffin Recipe
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Healthy Zucchini Bread Muffins
- Healthy Carrot Muffins
- Healthy Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Zucchini Banana Bread
Healthy Banana Muffin Recipe
- 1.5 cups ripe bananas, mashed (about 3-4 bananas)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted + cooled to room temp
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips optional
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped – optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a lined or greased muffin pans
- In a bowl, mash bananas with a fork until slightly clumpy. You can microwave them for 20 seconds prior to mashing to make it easier.
- Stir in honey, egg, and oil to banana mixture.
- Add in whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter into a greased or lined muffin tin. Optional: sprinkle with a handful of chips and walnuts on top. Bake for 20 -25 minutes until a toothpick or cake tester comes out completely clean when inserted in the center of the muffins.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 15 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator to maintain freshness.
- WW Freestyle Note/Nutrition Facts : The points/nutrition facts for this recipe were calculated using Lily’s
- To make gluten free: replace whole wheat flour with Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Flour
- To make vegan: replace 1 egg white with 1 flax egg. Sub with
- Honey : You can substitute with .
- Flour: You can replace whole wheat flour with white flour but your muffins might be a little more dense. I would not recommend , , or . You can not substitute these flours 1:1 with whole wheat flour.
- Spices: You can omit the and if you don’t have any. Add a little bit more to compensate!
- Nuts: You can add or
- Healthy Banana Bread: Use this recipe for our favorite Healthy Banana Bread instead
- Blueberries: You can add in a 1/2 cup of blueberries to this batter for a fun twist!
- Adding protein: if you want to up the protein content, try these Healthy Banana Protein Muffins. There are a few tweaks to help them not dry out while adding protein powder
- Mini Muffins: You can make these into mini muffins by cutting the bake time in half.
- Frozen Bananas: You can use frozen bananas in this recipe. Defrost them in the microwave until they are warm before mashing them.
- : If you’re short on bananas, you can substitute the difference with