Healthy Banana Bread is made with just a few simple, nutritious ingredients. Easy to make + full of flavor – it’s perfect for breakfast or snacking!
This post may include affiliate links. Click here to read my policy.
This Healthy Banana Bread is seriously THE BEST. I know that is a very bold statement, but it’s true.
It’s naturally sweetened with only bananas, honey and applesauce (no refined sugar!), packed with whole grains, and perfectly moist!
Easy to make with basic pantry staples, this Healthy Banana Bread will definitely be a favorite in your house!
Now.. you might be thinking.. healthy banana bread? How could this be?! But I promise you would NEVER even know that this banana bread is made with good-for-you ingredients. Just in case you’re wondering…
Why is this banana bread healthy?
- Whole wheat flour – I used whole wheat flour in this recipe rather than bleached white flour. Whole wheat flour is a great source of whole grains and so much better for you than regular white flour! This is the whole wheat flour I like
- Low in sugar – This recipe is sweetened only by ripe bananas, a touch of honey and applesauce. (and some chocolate chips for good measure) Many banana bread recipes are loaded with sugar, but this has only 19g of all natural sugar per slice.
- Heart healthy fats – Instead of using butter or canola oil, this recipe uses coconut oil to keep it moist, and it also has some walnuts in it for healthy fats!
Now, let’s get into baking this banana bread.
How to make healthy banana bread:
- Step 1: Mash your bananas. I like to use a fork and usually pop the bananas in a microwave for about 20 seconds before mashing so they’re easier to work with.
- Step 2: Whisk in your wet ingredients until smooth: honey, applesauce, egg white + coconut oil.
- Step 3: Add in your dry ingredients: wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices.
- Step 4: Add in chocolate chips and walnuts (the best part!!) You can omit walnuts if you have a nut allergy or don’t like them. Pecans also work.
- Step 6: Pour batter in a greased 8×4 loaf pan. See below for tips on how to not get your bread to stick to the pan. Bake per instructions.
To me, banana bread is not only delicious, but brings back such great memories. Growing my grandma would often make mini banana loaf cakes for me, and I can remember enjoying it before I went to school in the mornings.
She still makes these cakes for us, and they’re still just as delicious, but I love my own twist on her recipe with this Healthy Banana Bread recipe!
Whether you enjoy this healthy banana bread for a breakfast treat or with a cup of coffee as an afternoon snack – I think you’ll find that it’s tasty and comforting. The warm gooey chocolate chips + crunchy walnuts add even more flavor and fun to it!
Substitutions for this Healthy Banana Bread Recipe:
- To make gluten free: replace whole wheat flour with Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Flour
- To make vegan: replace 1 egg white with 1 flax egg. Sub honey with maple syrup
- To make nut free: simply omit walnuts.
My bananas aren’t ripe.. can I still make this Healthy Banana Bread?
Yes you can. For best results, your bananas should be brown and spotty like in the photos. As bananas ripen they get sweeter and softer, making them perfect for banana bread! However, as long as your bananas aren’t green, you can make this recipe. Yellow bananas will work just fine. I recommend microwaving them for about 20-30 seconds so they are easier to mash!
How to store banana bread:
You can store this bread covered on your counter for a few days, but I recommend keeping it in the refrigerator for maximum freshness!
My banana bread is sticking to the pan..help!
I typically grease my pan liberally with coconut oil. You can also line a pan with parchment paper . Allow the bread to cool completely for about one hour before trying to take it out of the pan. You can also run a butter knife along the edges of the pan to help loosen the bread before taking it out.
More Healthy Bread Recipes:
Healthy Banana Bread
- 1.5 cups ripe bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted + cooled to room temp
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped (plus extra for sprinkling on top)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (plus extra for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a greased 8x4 loaf pan.
- In a bowl, mash bananas with a fork until slightly clumpy. You can microwave them for 20 seconds prior to mashing to make it easier.
- Stir in honey, applesauce, egg white, and oil to banana mixture.
- Add in whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices
- Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into greased 8x4 loaf pan. Optional: sprinkle with a handful of chips and walnuts on top. Bake for 40 -45 minutes until a toothpick or cake tester comes out completely clean when inserted in the center of the bread.
- Allow the bread to cool for 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator to maintain freshness.