Simple Healthy Banana Bread is made with a few nutritious ingredients like whole wheat flour & applesauce. Easy to make-it’s great for breakfast or a snack! No refined sugar necessary for this super healthy banana bread – it’s delicious all on it’s own!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links. This post was originally shared in 2017 but has since been updated with helpful tips.
This Healthy Banana Bread is seriously THE BEST. I know that is a very bold statement, but it’s true.
Easy to make with basic pantry staples, this Healthy Banana Bread will definitely be a favorite in your house!
Now.. you might be thinking.. healthy banana bread? How could this be?! But I promise you would NEVER even know that this banana bread is made with good-for-you ingredients. Just in case you’re wondering…
Why is this banana bread healthy?
This banana bread is still a treat, but it’s much healthier than regular banana bread!
- Whole wheat flour– I used whole wheat flour in this recipe rather than bleached white flour. Whole wheat flour is a great source of whole grains and much better for you than regular white flour! This is the whole wheat flour I like
- Low in sugar – This recipe is sweetened only by ripe bananas, a touch of honey and applesauce. (and some chocolate chips for good measure) Many banana bread recipes are loaded with sugar, but this has only 19g of all natural sugar per slice.
- Heart healthy fats – Instead of using butter or canola oil, this recipe uses coconut oil to keep it moist, and it also has some walnuts in it for healthy fats!
Now, let’s get into baking this banana bread.
You might be wondering.. why is banana bread bad for you? Typical banana bread is loaded with sugar, high in fat, and won’t really do much to keep you full. This banana bread is so much better for you!
Ingredients for Simple Healthy Banana Bread:
How to make super healthy banana bread:
Making this low sugar banana bread SO easy. First, gather all your ingredients.
Step 2: Mash your bananas. I like to use a fork and usually pop the bananas in a microwave for about 20 seconds before mashing so they’re easier to work with.
Step 6: Pour batter in a greased 8×4 loaf pan. See below for tips on how to not get your bread to stick to the pan. Bake per instructions.
To me, banana bread is not only delicious, but brings back such great memories. Growing my grandma would often make mini banana loaf cakes for me, and I can remember enjoying it before I went to school in the mornings.
She still makes these cakes for us, and they’re still just as delicious, but I love my own twist on her recipe with this Healthy Banana Bread recipe!
Whether you enjoy this healthy banana bread for a breakfast treat or with a cup of coffee as an afternoon snack – I think you’ll find that it’s tasty and comforting. The warm gooey chocolate chips + crunchy walnuts add even more flavor and fun to it!
Substitutions for this Super Healthy Banana Bread Recipe:
There are a bunch of different substitutions for this healthy banana bread recipe. Work with whatever you have in your pantry/fridge!
To make gluten free: replace whole wheat flour with Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Flour
To make nut free: simply omit walnuts.
Healthy Banana Bread Muffins: Pour the batter into greased or lined muffin tins. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the muffin.
Mini Loaves – I haven’t tried making this recipe into mini loaves, but I think it would work! Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the loaf pan.
My bananas aren’t ripe.. can I still make this Simple Healthy Banana Bread?
Yes you can. For best results, your bananas should be brown and spotty like in the photos. As bananas ripen they get sweeter and softer, making them perfect for banana bread!
However, as long as your bananas aren’t green, you can make this recipe. Yellow bananas will work just fine. I recommend microwaving them for about 20-30 seconds so they are easier to mash!
How to store banana bread:
Storing Banana Bread: You can store this bread covered on your counter for a few days, but I recommend keeping it in the refrigerator for maximum freshness! It will last up to a week in the refrigerator – but will lose it’s freshness after about 3 days on the counter.
How to freeze Banana Bread: You can slice this bread and individually wrap it or freeze it whole. To defrost a whole loaf – take it out the night before you’d like to enjoy it and set it in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve – pop in the microwave. If you’re defrosting a single slice, you can put it directly in the microwave or toaster oven until it is warm.
My banana bread is sticking to the pan..help!
I typically grease my pan liberally with coconut oil. You can also line a pan with parchment paper . Allow the bread to cool completely for about one hour before trying to take it out of the pan. You can also run a butter knife along the edges of the pan to help loosen the bread before taking it out.
More Healthy Bread Recipes:
We love baking healthier breads. Here are some of our favorites!
- Healthy Apple Cider Bread
- Healthy Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Healthy Gingerbread Loaf
- Healthy Zucchini Bread
Healthy Banana Bread
- 1.5 cups ripe bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted + cooled to room temp
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped (plus extra for sprinkling on top)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (plus extra for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a greased 8x4 loaf pan.
- In a bowl, mash bananas with a fork until slightly clumpy. You can microwave them for 20 seconds prior to mashing to make it easier.
- Stir in honey, applesauce, egg white, and oil to banana mixture.
- Add in whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices
- Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into greased 8x4 loaf pan. Optional: sprinkle with a handful of chips and walnuts on top. Bake for 40 -45 minutes until a toothpick or cake tester comes out completely clean when inserted in the center of the bread.
- Allow the bread to cool for 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator to maintain freshness.