This Healthy Zucchini Bread Recipe is perfect for a simple snack or nutritious breakfast. Low in sugar, gluten free & so delicious – everyone will love it! This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill but all opinions are my own.
This post may include affiliate links. Click here to read my policy.
Healthy Zucchini Bread is one of my favorite veggie loaded treats to make! It’s light, fresh, and the perfect way for using up loads of summer zucchini.
(Don’t worry though, you can totally make this year round – you don’t have to make it in the summer!)
Zucchini bread has always been one of my favorite spring treats, and I know you’re going to love this healthier version!
Zucchini bread seems like such a mundane thing… a bread, made from a flavorless vegetable. So blah, right??
But not if you make it the right way! Most zucchini bread’s are loaded with sugar to compensate for the fact that there isn’t much flavor to to the zucchini, but I decided that chocolate chips + honey would be a better choice.
(I mean when are mini chocolate chips NOT a good choice?!)
What makes this zucchini bread healthy
- Low in sugar – This recipe is sweetened only by honey. (and some chocolate chips for good measure) Many zucchini bread recipes are loaded with sugar, but this minimal amounts of sugar per slice!
- Heart healthy fats – Instead of using butter or canola oil, this recipe uses just a little bit of olive oil and almond milk to keep it moist. You could also add some walnuts in it for healthy fats!
- Whole Grain Oat Flour – We love Bob’s Red Mill Whole Grain Oat Flour because it’s loaded with whole grains and fiber!
I love experimenting with different flours, and this whole grain oat flour gives the bread a light, fluffy texture while adding almost a nutty flavor to it.
Oat flour is also super high in fiber, and higher in protein than most other whole grains.
How to make Healthy Zucchini Bread:
Making healthy zucchini bread is very simple!
- Squeeze out as much water as you can from the zucchini. I typically use a paper towel and wring it out over the sink
- Mix together your wet ingredients.
- Stir in dry ingredients
- Add in chocolate chips (optional but highly recommended!)
- Pour into greased tin
- Bake + enjoy!
I love to make this on Sunday to enjoy for breakfast/snacks during the weeks. It’s great with a big cup of coffee in the morning, or as a snack with PB on top in the afternoon.
Substitutions for this Healthy Zucchini Bread Recipe:
- To make gluten free: replace regular oat flour with Bob’s Red Mill Certified Gluten Free Oat Flour
- To make vegan: replace 1 egg white with 1 flax egg. Sub honey with maple syrup
- To make nut free: Sub almond milk for oat milk or dairy milk
- To make lower in sugar: omit chocolate chips
More Healthy Bread Recipes:
Healthy Zucchini Bread
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Whole Grain Oat Flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup shredded zucchini squeezed to remove water (about 1 medium zucchini)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 + prepare a greased 8x4 loaf pan
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients except chocolate chips
- In a separate bowl mix together olive oil, egg, vanilla extract, honey, almond milk and zucchini.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until combined
- Fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan + top with additional chocolate chips if desired
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes, or until top of bread is golden and cake tester comes out clean. Allow bread to cool completely, remove from pan + enjoy!