This Healthy Zucchini Bread Recipe is an easy, delicious treat. Low calorie, low sugar, gluten free & so delicious – everyone will love it! This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill but all opinions are my own.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links. This post was originally shared in 2017 but has been updated since
Healthy Zucchini Bread is one of my favorite veggie loaded treats to make! It’s light, fresh, and the perfect way for using up loads of summer zucchini.
(Don’t worry though, you can totally make this year round – you don’t have to make it in the summer!)
Zucchini bread has always been one of my favorite spring treats, and I know you’re going to love this healthier version!
Zucchini bread seems like such a mundane thing… a bread, made from a flavorless vegetable. So blah, right??
But not if you make it the right way! Most zucchini bread’s are loaded with sugar to compensate for the fact that there isn’t much flavor to to the zucchini, but I decided that chocolate chips + honey would be a better choice.
(I mean when are mini chocolate chips NOT a good choice?!)
If you’re looking for other healthy zucchini recipes – check out these Healthy Zucchini Recipes!
What makes this zucchini bread healthy?
There is a lot to love about this boneless chicken breast recipe. It’s one of our favorite proteins for a healthy dinner because it’s:
- Low in sugar – This recipe is sweetened only by honey. (and some chocolate chips for good measure) Many zucchini bread recipes are loaded with sugar, but this minimal amounts of sugar per slice!
- Heart healthy fats – Instead of using butter or canola oil, this recipe uses just a little bit of olive oil and almond milk to keep it moist. You could also add some walnuts in it for healthy fats!
- Whole Grain Oat Flour – We love Bob’s Red Mill Whole Grain Oat Flour because it’s loaded with whole grains and fiber!
- Veggies! This recipe has a whole cup of zucchini in it. Sneaky veggies for the win!
I love experimenting with different flours, and this whole grain oat flour gives the bread a light, fluffy texture while adding almost a nutty flavor to it.
Oat flour is also super high in fiber, and higher in protein than most other whole grains.
Ingredients for Healthy Zucchini Bread:
To make this zucchini bread we used:
- Oat Flour
- Spices: cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg
- baking powder, baking soda
- olive oil
- vanilla extract
- Almond Milk
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded substitutions box.
How do you grate zucchini for zucchini bread?
We just use a standard box grater. Place your box grater over a bowl. Once you’ve grated the zucchini take a paper towel or clean dish towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
You do not need to peel the zucchini for zucchini bread!
1 medium zucchini will roughly give you 1 cup of shredded/grated zucchini.
How to make Healthy Zucchini Bread:
Making healthy zucchini bread is very simple!
- Before doing anything, grate your zucchini. Squeeze out as much water as you can from the zucchini. I typically use a paper towel and wring it out over the sink.
- Gather all ingredients
- Mix together your wet ingredients.
- Stir in your dry ingredients.
- Add in chocolate chips (optional but highly recommended!)
- Pour into greased 8×4 loaf tin and bake. After 40-45 minutes you’ll have perfectly cooked zucchini bread.
Add in chocolate chips (optional but highly recommended!) Pour into greased 8×4 loaf tin and bake. After 40-45 minutes you’ll have perfectly cooked zucchini bread.
I love to make this on Sunday to enjoy for breakfast/snacks during the weeks. It’s great with a big cup of coffee in the morning, or as a snack with PB on top in the afternoon.
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR HEALTHY ZUCCHINI BREAD
This bread is pretty versatile. Here are a few ways you can customize it!
To make nut free: Sub almond milk for oat milk or dairy milk
To make lower in sugar: omit chocolate chips
Flour: You can replace oat flour with whole wheat flour or white flour but your bread might be a little more dense. I would not recommend almond flour or coconut flour. If you don’t have oat flour on hand, blend or process old fashioned oats or quick cook oats until they are a flour like consistency.
Milk: Any milk will work – almond, oat, regular dairy milk, soy, coconut, etc.
Healthy Zucchini Bread Muffins: Pour the batter into greased or lined muffin tins. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the muffin. You can also check out our Healthy Zucchini Bread Muffins
Mini Loaves – I haven’t tried making this recipe into mini loaves, but I think it would work! Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the loaf pan.
How to store healthy zucchini bread:
Storing Zucchini Bread: You can store this bread covered on your counter for a few days, but I recommend keeping it in the refrigerator for maximum freshness!
It will last up to a week in the refrigerator – but will lose it’s freshness after about 3 days on the counter.
How to freeze Zucchini Bread: You can slice this bread and individually wrap it or freeze it whole. To defrost a whole loaf – take it out the night before you’d like to enjoy it and set it in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve – pop in the microwave.
If you’re defrosting a single slice, you can put it directly in the microwave or toaster oven until it is warm.
Gluten Free Zucchini Bread FAQ
Yes! You need to squeeze water out of zucchini for bread. Otherwise you’ll wind up with soggy zucchini bread.
Zucchini bread does have some nutritional value, but it’s still a treat. This zucchini bread has just under 250 calories, with 42g of carbs in one slice. This zucchini bread has less sugar/fat than other zucchini bread recipes so if you’re looking for a better for you version – this is it!
Your zucchini bread shouldn’t fall apart. Make sure you let it cool completely before removing it from the pan. Also make sure you squeeze any liquid out of your zucchini before baking!
This zucchini bread recipe has no white or brown sugar in it, but you can substitute brown and white sugar in zucchini bread!
Healthy Zucchini Bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup shredded zucchini squeezed to remove water (about 1 medium zucchini)
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Whole Grain Oat Flour use gluten free if necessary
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 + prepare a greased 8×4 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl mix together olive oil, egg, vanilla extract, honey, almond milk and zucchini.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients (oat flour, spices, baking powder/baking soda, salt)
- Fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan + top with additional chocolate chips if desired
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes, or until top of bread is golden and cake tester comes out clean. Allow bread to cool completely for at least 20 minutes, remove from pan + enjoy!