Zucchini Banana Bread Recipe is a healthy treat everyone will love! Add chocolate chips or turn into muffins with this versatile dessert! Zucchini Bread & Banana Bread come together in this perfectly moist bread.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
Zucchini and banana come together for the perfect delicious treat: Zucchini Banana Bread!
Zucchini Banana Bread
Zucchini and banana are the perfect combination for a dessert because they add both sweetness and moisture – leaving you with a lightly sweet, perfectly moist, cake-like bread.
If you want more delicious zucchini recipes, try one of these 50+ Healthy Zucchini Recipes!
This healthy banana zucchini bread is super easy to make with only a few ingredients. Here’s why we love it:
Why we love this banana zucchini bread recipe:
We love this recipe for many reasons! Here are a few:
- Whole wheat flour– I used whole wheat flour in this recipe rather than bleached white flour. Whole wheat flour is a great source of whole grains and much better for you than regular white flour! This is the whole wheat flour I like
- Low in sugar – This recipe is sweetened only by ripe bananas and a touch of honey (and some optional chocolate chips) Many banana bread recipes are loaded with sugar, but this has only 11g of all natural sugar per slice.
- Low fat – Instead of using a ton of butter or canola oil, this recipe uses a tiny bit of olive oil to keep it moist. The zucchini and banana also help keep the bread moist, which makes it pretty low fat (only 3g of fat per slice)
- Veggies! This recipe has a whole cup of zucchini in it. Sneaky veggies for the win!
Ingredients for Healthy Banana Zucchini Bread
To make Banana Zucchini Bread you’ll need:
- olive oil
- vanilla extract
- mashed banana
- shredded zucchini
- whole wheat flour
- cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger
- baking powder, baking soda
- mini chocolate chips (optional)
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded substitutions box.
How Do You Make Zucchini Banana Bread?
Making this bread is easy!
- Preheat oven to 350 + prepare a greased 8×4 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl mix together olive oil, egg, vanilla extract, honey, and shredded zucchini.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients (oat flour, spices, baking powder/baking soda)
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan + top with additional chocolate chips if desired
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes, or until top of bread is golden and cake tester comes out clean. Allow bread to cool completely for at least 20 minutes, remove from pan + enjoy!
Zucchini Banana Bread Recipe Variations
This bread is pretty versatile. Here are a few ways you can customize them!
To make lower in sugar: omit chocolate chips
Whole Wheat Flour: I have not tried this recipe with other flours. Gluten free flour might work, but I can’t be sure without testing it. Our Healthy Zucchini Bread recipe is made with oat flour and can be made with gluten free oat flour. You can’t substitute almond or coconut flour in this recipe. It will not work.
Gluten Free: I haven’t tried making this recipe gluten free. I don’t know if gluten free flour would work in this recipe. You could try this Gluten Free Vegan Zucchini Cake if you’re looking for a gluten free option!
Healthy Zucchini Banana Bread Muffins: Pour the batter into greased or lined muffin tins. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the muffin.
Mini Loaves – I haven’t tried making this recipe into mini loaves, but I think it would work! Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the loaf pan.
How to store zucchini bread:
Storing: You can store this bread covered on your counter for a few days, but I recommend keeping it in the refrigerator for freshness!
It will last up to a week in the refrigerator – but will lose its freshness after about 3 days on the counter.
How to freeze Zucchini Banana Bread: You can slice this bread and individually wrap it or freeze it whole. To defrost a whole loaf – take it out the night before you’d like to enjoy it and set it in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve – pop in the microwave.
If you’re defrosting a single slice, you can put it directly in the microwave or toaster oven until it is warm.
Zucchini Banana Bread FAQ
Yes, you need to squeeze water out of shredded zucchini for bread. If you don’t squeeze the water out of shredded zucchini you’ll wind up with a soggy, mushy loaf of banana zucchini bread
Zucchini Bread does taste like banana bread and has a similar texture. This recipe has bananas in it too, so it’s the perfect combo of zucchini and banana.
Your banana zucchini bread may get gummy if you don’t properly squeeze out the zucchini before baking. You have to squeeze the water out of the zucchini before adding it to the batter to ensure it bakes correctly. Your zucchini bread also might be gummy if you used a different flour or made substitutions in the recipe.
Most banana bread recipes are loaded with sugar, fat, and carbs. It’s a highly palatable food which makes it easy to overeat. This recipe is made with less sugar and fat, so it’s a better option for you.
Zucchini Banana Bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup mashed banana about 1.5 bananas
- 1 cup grated zucchini *squeezed to remove water about 1 medium zucchini
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips optional