A Healthy Zucchini Muffins Recipe that is easy to make and yummy! Gluten free, moist and fluffy – these are perfect zucchini bread muffins!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
I love finding ways to sneak extra veggies into my food and these healthy zucchini muffins with chocolate chips are my new favorites and are a great way to enjoy summer zucchini!
They may look unassuming, but I know these healthy zucchini muffins will be a snack you enjoy all summer.
(Don’t worry though, you can totally make these year-round!)
Why we love this recipe and why it’s healthy:
There are many reasons to love these healthy zucchini muffins with chocolate chips and here are a few:
- Easy to make: These muffins use less than 15 ingredients (mostly pantry staples) and take just over 30 minutes to make!
- Low in sugar: The only added sweetener in these zucchini muffins is honey (and some optional chocolate chips) instead of the refined sugar that many muffins have.
- Low fat: Many muffin recipes use butter or canola oil to get moist muffins, but ours have a little olive oil, milk, and the zucchini to give you the most delicious and moist muffins while still being low fat!
- Veggies: This recipe has a whole cup of zucchini for 12 muffins! If you are trying to get more veggies in your diet, these are a great way!
Zucchini Muffins Healthy Recipe Ingredients
To make these healthy zucchini muffins, you will need:
- oat flour OR whole wheat flour
- olive oil
- vanilla extract
- baking powder, baking soda
- cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger
- mini chocolate chips (optional)
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded substitutions box.
How To Make Moist Zucchini Muffins
- In a large bowl mix together olive oil, egg, vanilla extract, honey, almond milk, and zucchini.
- Stir flour, spices, baking powder/baking soda into the wet ingredients. Then, fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Fill lined muffin tins in ¼ cup increments.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until the top of the muffins are golden and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Allow muffins to cool completely for at least 10 minutes, remove from the pan + enjoy!
Enjoy these healthy muffins with a cup of coffee for breakfast or with peanut butter for an afternoon snack.
How to pick the best Zucchini
The main thing to look for when selecting the perfectly ripe zucchini is firmness. If the zucchini is soft, it could be a sign that it is starting to rot.
We prefer looking for thinner zucchinis for baking and zoodles. Typically the thicker a zucchini, the more seeds it has (which are fine, but can be mushy!)
How to shred a Zucchini
Do I need to drain the zucchini before adding it to the mixture?
Yes! It’s so important to squeeze the liquid out of zucchini before adding it to baked goods unless a recipe states otherwise.
Make sure you use a paper towel or clean dish towel to squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini before adding to these muffins. I like to have my zucchini sit on top of the towel or paper towel after ringing it out to make sure it absorbs as much liquid as possible.
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR ZUCCHINI BREAD MUFFINS
Can the same recipe be used to make Gluten-Free Zucchini Muffins? Yes, just use gluten-free oat flour.
Egg: I haven’t tried making this with an egg substitute so I’m not sure if it would work.
Milk: If you don’t want to use dairy milk, almond milk, cashew milk, or oat milk would work.
Oat Flour: You can substitute oat flour with whole wheat flour (1:1 ratio) and it will work great. You can also substitute with gluten-free oat flour. Here is our favorite Homemade Oat Flour Recipe. DO NOT substitute almond or coconut flour. It will not work.
Chocolate Chips or Nuts: Both are optional, but both are delicious in this recipe.
Turn it into bread: I haven’t tried using this batter in a bread pan, but we have a Healthy Zucchini Bread Recipe that is delicious!
Why do the ingredients qualify these muffins to be healthy?
- Whole grains – Whole wheat flour is a great source of whole grains and much better for you than regular white flour!
- No refined sugar – The only sweetener in these zucchini muffins is honey (and some optional chocolate chips) instead of the refined sugar that many muffins have.
- Gluten-free options – If you have celiac disease or are simply trying to reduce gluten in your diet, gluten-free oat flour tastes great in this recipe.
- Veggies – This recipe has a whole cup of zucchini for 12 muffins! If you are trying to get more veggies in your diet, these are a great way!
Storing and Serving Zucchini Muffins:
Storing easy zucchini muffins: They will last up to a week in the refrigerator. I don’t recommend storing them on the counter, because they can get moldy very quickly.
How to freeze healthy zucchini muffins: Yes, you can freeze these zucchini muffins. I recommend laying them flat in a reusable Ziploc bag and freezing them so that they don’t stick together. To defrost, microwave, or put them in a toaster oven.
Other healthy muffin recipes:
We absolutely love healthy muffins! Here are some of our favorite muffin recipes:
Healthy Zucchini Muffins Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup milk almond or dairy
- 1 cup shredded zucchini *squeezed to remove water about 1 medium zucchini
- 2 cups oat flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350 + prepare a lined muffin tin.In a large bowl mix together olive oil, egg, vanilla extract, honey, almond milk and zucchini.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients (oat flour, spices, baking powder/baking soda)
- Fold in mini chocolate chips if using.
- Pour batter into lined muffin tin, filling in ¼ cup increments.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until top of muffins are golden and a tooth pick comes out clean when inserted in center.
- Allow muffins to cool completely for at least 10 minutes, remove from pan + enjoy!