This healthy Sausage Egg Bake is perfect for breakfast. Easy to make, paleo, whole30, and so yummy. It’s veggie loaded, perfect for meal prep, and delicious!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
Meet your NEW fav breakfast: This Sausage Egg Bake! This sausage egg bake is ridiculously versatile, requires minimal effort to make, and it tastes AMAZING.
If you’re the kinda person who loves a hearty egg based breakfast but doesn’t necessarily have the time to cook up veggies/eggs every morning – you’ll love this recipe! (You might also like Egg Muffin Cups, Sheet Pan Breakfast, or Whole30 Potato Crust Quiche)
Why we love this Sausage Egg Casserole:
This sausage egg bake is one of our favorite breakfasts for a few reasons.
- Protein Packed/ Veggie Loaded – This egg bake is a great way to start your morning. It’s high in protein (36g per serving!) and loaded with veggies which will help keep you full.
- Low Carb – This egg bake is low carb so it’s perfect for all my keto friends out there. You could definitely add some shredded potatoes in the egg bake like our Egg Hash Brown Casserole or make my Crispy Roasted Potatoes to go with it if you aren’t low carb though! This sausage egg casserole has no bread, which makes it perfect for low carb!
- Paleo/Whole30 – We follow a mainly paleo/whole30 diet and this is great if you do too! The egg bake is gluten/grain/dairy/soy/sugar free.
- Meal Prep Friendly – Make this egg bake on Sunday (or whenever!) and enjoy it all week! I slice it and put it in containers so it’s pre portioned + ready to eat.
Look at all those veggies and yummy sausage! Don’t you just want to dive in?
In addition to being great for meal prepping, this recipe is also perfect for bringing to brunch/sharing with family + friends!
Sausage and Egg Casserole Ingredients
This Sausage Egg Bake is made with only a few ingredients. You’ll need:
- non dairy milk
- your favorite pre cooked sausage (or pre cooked ground pork)
- veggies (peppers, onions, spinach)
This recipe is pretty versatile and you can swap out the veggies/spices. There are a list of substitutions further down in this post.
How to Make Sausage Egg Casserole without Bread
This Sausage Egg Bake is SUPER easy to make. Here’s how to do it:
- Chop/Prep all your ingredients.
- Whisk together your eggs.
- Add in your sausage/veggies/spices.
- Stir until combined
- Bake in a glass baking dish
- Serve + enjoy!
Substitutions for this Sausage Egg Bake Recipe:
Milk – If you’re not doing a whole30 you can sub almond milk with regular milk or your milk of choice
Cheese – You can add whatever cheese you would like to this recipe. Cheddar + goat would be delicious!
Seasonings – You can add onion powder, basil, thyme, oregano – really anything you like! If you have some fresh parsley or basil lying around – chop them up and add them in!
Sausage – Make sure you’re buying good quality sausage or make your own. If you can’t find a whole30 friendly sausage, you can buy ground pork, cook it up and add it to this recipe.
Veggies – Any/all veggies will go in here for the most part. Feel free to add more, or sub in kale, broccoli, tomatoes, etc… Use up whatever you like/whatever is in your fridge! You can also try our Veggie Breakfast Casserole!
WW Freestyle Note: You can save 8SP per serving by using turkey sausage. With turkey sausage this dish is only 4SP
FAQ for Egg Casserole without Bread
Absolutely! You can make this egg bake ahead of time and reheat it before serving. It will last in the fridge for up to 5 days. However, this tastes best when served right out of the oven!
We like to buy pre-cooked frozen sausage or brown up ground sausage. Either one will work!
Your egg casserole might be rubbery if you have vegetables or meat that have a lot of water in them. It’s best to sauté your veggies or meats like ground sausage/bacon before adding them to your egg bake to get any excess water out.
The best way to make sure your egg casserole is done is the stick a knife in the center. If it comes out clean it means that it is finished. The eggs should also be set in the center and not jiggly when removed from the oven.
Breakfast casserole doesn’t really freeze well. The eggs can get soggy when reheated, or they could get dried out if they’re in the toaster oven.
What to serve with this Egg Bake:
- Healthy Banana Protein Muffins
- Egg White Oatmeal
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal
- Any of these Healthy Brunch Recipes
Storing this egg bake:
Storing: You can store this egg bake in the refrigerator in glass containers
Freezing: I have not tried freezing this egg bake but I think it would work.
Reheating: We prefer to reheat this recipe in the toaster oven/oven. 350-375° for 5-8 minutes should do the trick – but just watch your oven and check after 5 minutes. You’ll want the eggs to be heated through. You can microwave this, but we don’t recommend microwaving eggs. I find it gives them a bouncy texture that we don’t care for.
Sausage and Egg Casserole without Bread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and spices until smooth.
- Chop sausage and veggies.
- Stir into sausage + veggies into egg mixture until combined.
- Pour egg mixture into greased 8×8 glass baking dish.
- Bake at 400 for 35 mins.
- Slice into 6 segments + enjoy!
- Milk – If you’re not doing a whole30 you can sub almond milk with regular milk or your milk of choice
- Seasonings – You can add onion powder, basil, thyme, oregano – really anything you like! If you have some fresh parsley or basil lying around – chop them up and add them in!
- Sausage – Make sure you’re buying good quality sausage. I like this brand! If you can’t find a whole30 friendly sausage, you can buy ground pork, cook it up and add it to this recipe.
- Veggies – Any/all veggies will go in here for the most part. Feel free to add more, or sub in kale, broccoli, tomatoes, etc… Use up whatever you like/whatever is in your fridge!
- WW Freestyle Note: You can save 8SP per serving by using turkey sausage. With turkey sausage this dish is only 4SP