Vegan Rice Pudding is a delicious, creamy, dairy free dessert! Naturally gluten free and easy to make, this healthy rice pudding is the perfect treat! This post is sponsored by my friends at Oatly.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
Vegan Rice Pudding!! Yes, you can still totally enjoy rich, decadent rice pudding without the dairy and loads of sugar. This healthy rice pudding recipe is super simple to make, and tastes just like the real thing!
My Gram is known for being an awesome cook, especially when it comes to desserts. To this day – one of my favorite things that she makes is rice pudding.
As a kid I can remember enjoying it piled high with whipped cream + sprinkles- and although I prefer it plain now – it’s still just as delicious.
As much as I love my Gram’s rice pudding and occasionally will indulge in it, it doesn’t love me back. Over the years I’ve found that heavy cream just doesn’t agree with my stomach.
Unfortunately it’s the base of her recipe, but with some tweaks – I made it equally as delicious sans the dairy… thanks to my new favorite pantry staple – Oatly’s Barista Edition Oatmilk!
If you haven’t tried Oatly I promise you are going to LOVE it. I’ve tried a few different brands of oatmilk that just tasted kind of watery and meh.
Their oatmilk actually tastes creamy like you’re drinking dairy milk! It’s free of gums and thickeners, yet is creamy enough that you can sub it in pretty much any recipe with a 1:1 ratio wherever you’d use whole dairy milk.
Ingredients for Vegan Rice Pudding:
Vegan rice pudding is super simple to make, you only need a few ingredients! You’ll need:
What kind of rice should you use for rice pudding?
You can use any kind of rice in rice pudding, but I used brown rice in this recipe because it has the best nutritional value. My gram uses white rice in her recipe, and some people use arborio!
How to make Vegan Rice Pudding:
- Add your rice, vanilla, spices and some of your oat milk to the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring consistently
- The rice pudding should start to thicken. Add remaining oat milk to the pan and maple syrup.
- Return to low heat until most of the milk has been absorbed and rice is creamy but cooked
Substitutions for this healthy rice pudding:
Rice – I tested this recipe with brown and white rice and both came out great!
Optional add ins: Some people like their rice pudding with fresh fruit, raisins, or nuts. Feel free to stir in/top this healthy rice pudding with whatever you like!
WW Freestyle Note: You can save 3SP per serving by subbing almond milk or one of Oatly’s lower fat content oat milks
Other delicious healthy dessert recipes:
Vegan Rice Pudding
- Rinse and drain your rice in a strainer (this helps to avoid it from getting gummy!)
- Add rinsed rice + 3 cups of oat milk, vanilla, and spices in a pan over the stove. Bring to a boil, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Once mixture has thickened, stir in maple syrup and final cup of oat milk. Stir until combined and cook over medium heat until most of the milk has absorbed (about 10 more minutes)
- Serve warm or chilled with extra cinnamon on top if desired!
- Sweetener– You can sub maple syrup for equal amounts of honey, but it will no longer be vegan. You may also be able to sub in agave nectar or regular sugar, but I haven’t tried either!
- Spices – You can stir in more or less of the spices if you like. I like warm spices like cinnamon/ginger/nutmeg but feel free to cut back if you don’t!
- Rice – I tested this recipe with brown and white rice and both came out great!
- Optional add ins: Some people like their rice pudding with fresh fruit, raisins, or nuts. Feel free to stir in/top this healthy rice pudding with whatever you like!
- WW Freestyle Note: You can save 3SP per serving by subbing almond milk or one of Oatly’s lower fat content oat milks