Healthy Sesame Chicken is a delicious, healthy dinner! Packed with protein, low in carbs, and gluten free – it’s simple to make & better than takeout! This post is sponsored by Village Harvest and was originally shared in April of 2018.
This post may include affiliate links. Click here to read my policy.
Who doesn’t love takeout? I mean.. it’s kinda the best invention ever. You don’t have to cook, the food tastes aaaa-mazing, many places will deliver it… win, win, win in my book.
The only thing is…about 15 minutes after eating it.. I sit at my couch and say ‘Why did we do that.’ I know my stomach is more sensitive than others, but I think we can all agree that you almost always get a wave of ‘Ugh, yuck’ when takeout food hits your stomach.
That’s why I came up with this Healthy Sesame Chicken Recipe!
Now, I want to be perfectly clear and say that while takeout often leaves me feeling gross, I still order it from time to time.
It is 100% delicious, and even though I don’t know what they heck I make it with – I still love it!
If we’re being real though, I just would rather try to make a healthier version on those nights where I do have the time to spare with cooking so that I can feel good about my dinner choice + my stomach can be happy.
This Healthy Sesame Chicken recipe only takes 25 minutes start to finish.. and you know that you’d be waiting that long for delivery anyways!
Things you’ll need to make Healthy Sesame Chicken:
There are only a few ingredients in the sauce/this dish, and it only needs about 25 minutes to come together over the stove in total.
Even though the ingredients are minimal, the sauce is still that delish, thick, sticky sauce that you know and love from your favorite takeout place.. but it has super clean + delicious ingredients!
How to make Healthy Sesame Chicken:
Making healthy sesame chicken is super easy! Get all your ingredients out and whisk together your marinade. Brown the chicken and set aside.
Add your marinade to the same pan and bring to high heat. Cook until sauce is thickened and pulls away from the pan. Add chicken back to the pan, toss in sauce + serve with green beans/rice!
What makes this Sesame Chicken Healthy?
- Cooked on a stovetop vs being fried – Sesame chicken is usually fried. We cook the chicken over the stove which helps to make this healthier
- No MSG or funky ingredients – Takeout is typically loaded with sodium and all kinds of weird ingredients. This recipe is made with simple, wholesome ingredients you can feel good about eating!
Time saving tips for this Healthy Sesame Chicken:
- Have everything on the counter -This will make it super simple to grab everything you need while you’re cooking.
- Get Village Harvest’s Organic Jasmine Rice. It’s ready in 90 seconds! All you have to do is tear the bag open and microwave.. doesn’t get much simpler than that!
- I love their rice because it only has 3 ingredients: water, rice + rice bran oil, AND it’s organic, non-gmo, and free of allergens which makes it the perfect pantry staple!
- Whisk together the ingredients for the sauce + put everything away while the chicken cooks.
I think you’re going to love this easy meal, and I know it’s going to make you think twice about calling your favorite takeout place on Friday night when you’re tired and don’t feel like cooking! Here’s the recipe.
Substitutions for this Healthy Sesame Chicken Recipe:
- Chicken – You can sub chicken breasts with chicken thighs.
- Avocado Oil – If you don’t have avocado oil you can use olive oil or refined coconut oil
- Green Beans– You can sub in green beans with broccoli or any other veggies you like
- Coconut Aminos – If you don’t have coconut aminos you can use low sodium soy sauce or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos.
- Fresh Ginger – If you don’t have fresh ginger you can use 1/2 teaspoon of dried ground ginger.
- Paleo – to make paleo sub rice for cauliflower rice
Other delicious healthy takeout recipes:
Healthy Sesame Chicken
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (zest of one lime)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (juice of one lime)
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds for garnish
- In a pan, heat toasted avocado oil. Sauté chicken until browned on all sides, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, whisk together the sauce.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from the pan + set aside. Pour sauce mixture into the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes until it starts to bubble, stirring consistently. The will thicken quickly, but be careful to watch that it doesn't burn.
- While sauce is thickening, steam green beans per direction on package.
- Add cooked chicken back into the pan and coat in sauce. Place Village Harvest Organic Jasmine Rice in microwave + cook per directions.
- Serve over Village Harvest Organic Jasmine Rice and green beans + enjoy!
- Chicken - You can sub chicken breasts with chicken thighs.
- Avocado Oil - If you don't have avocado oil you can use olive oil or refined coconut oil
- Green Beans- You can sub in green beans with broccoli or any other veggies you like
- Coconut Aminos - If you don't have coconut aminos you can use low sodium soy sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos.
- Fresh Ginger - If you don't have fresh ginger you can use 1/2 teaspoon of dried ground ginger.