This Healthy Beef and Broccoli is a delicious, paleo meal made in your crock pot. Naturally whole30 and gluten free – it’s easy and yummy!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
You know those meals that you eat and go: “WOW that was really good” ? Yea, that’s this Healthy Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli! It is SO yummy and really simple to make.
Beef and Broccoli Slow Cooker Ingredients
To make this healthy beef and broccoli you’ll need:
- fresh ginger
- coconut aminos
- rice wine vinegar
- cauliflower rice
- beef steak tips
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
I combined the steak tips with a few of my favorite pantry+ fridge staples… and the result was epic. Here’s how we made it.
How to make Crock Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Gather all of your ingredients
- Whisk together your marinade
- Add your marinade + beef together in the crockpot. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- When you’re ready to eat, steam your broccoli + drain the liquid from the crockpot into a pan on the stovetop
- Bring the sauce to a rolling boil for 15 minutes until it thickens
- Add the meat to the thickened sauce, toss to combine + gently shred the meat by pulling it apart!
What’s the best meat to use for beef and broccoli?
- We used steak tips to make this, but you can use many different kinds of beef in this recipe
- Thinly sliced skirt steak, flank steak, or sirloin cut in small 1 inch cubes will all work well
- The steak tips got so tender they literally fell apart, which made this more of a shredded beef and broccoli vs the traditional takeout style that has strips – we liked it so much better that this is the only way we will make it now!
Beef and Broccoli Variations
Can you make this recipe in the Instant Pot?
I haven’t tried this in the instant pot but I’d be worried that the sauce would burn. If you try it, let me know! If you’re looking for other instant pot beef recipes – check out this Instant Pot Beef Stew
Important Note: This is not an authentic Beef & Broccoli recipe. My goal is always to share recipes that are a bit healthier and made with affordable, accessible ingredients so everyone can enjoy them regardless of their food allergies or dietary restrictions. If your’e looking for an authentic Beef & Broccoli recipe check out this recipe!
Can you make this recipe on the stovetop?
I don’t recommend making this on the stovetop. Cooking the meat low and slow lets it get really tender + delicious, and since it is made with tougher cuts of meat – you need the crockpot to cook it!
Beef and Broccoli Recipe Crockpot Substitutions
You can easily substitute many ingredients in this recipe.
Broth – Chicken or vegetable broth will also work in this recipe.
Cauliflower Rice: You can definitely serve this over regular rice or quinoa if you prefer. We also love our cauliflower fried rice!
Steak Tips/Beef: You can use steak tips, thinly sliced skirt steak, flank steak, or sirloin cut in small 1 inch cubes. We love the Butcher Box Price for great meat!
Low Carb: This sauce is a higher carb sauce. Try this Keto Beef and Broccoli instead if you’re looking for something low carb!
How to serve Crockpot Beef and Broccoli
You can serve this by itself or with:
How to Store Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli
Storing: I keep this healthy beef and broccoli in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freezing: We have not tried freezing this recipe but I think it would work!
Reheating: You can reheat this dinner in a pan or in the microwave.
Beef and Broccoli Crockpot FAQ
There should be liquid in the slow cooker, but it doesn’t have to cover it.
We like to cook on low to allow the meat to get super tender.
Yes, you put the steak in the crockpot raw and it will be fully cooked if you follow the directions.
You want to cut the steak into 1 inch cubes.
Other healthy takeout inspired recipes:
Looking for other easy meals? Check out these 40+ Healthy Dinner Recipes or Healthy Crockpot Recipes! Click here to grab our free healthy 30 minute dinners cookbook.
Beef and Broccoli Recipe Crockpot
- In a bowl mix together marinade. Pour marinade in slow cooker. Stir in beef until coated.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the liquid from the slow cooker and pour into a large pan over the stove. Bring the sauce to a boil. Boil on high for 15 minutes. The sauce should be at a rolling boil bubbling the entire time. Whisk occasionally to prevent sauce from burning.
- While sauce is boiling, cook broccoli. Place in a microwave safe dish with ¼ cup water and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes.
- While broccoli is cooking, lightly sauté cauliflower rice in a pan with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Once sauce has thickened add in cooked meat to the pan, stir to coat with sauce. You can break up the steak by pressing them gently as you stir if you’d like more shredded beef. It should easily fall apart.
- Assemble bowls with cauliflower rice, broccoli + beef.
- Cauliflower Rice – You can definitely serve this over regular rice or quinoa if you prefer
- Steak Tips: You can use steak tips, thinly sliced skirt steak, flank steak, or sirloin cut in small 1 inch cubes
- Honey -You can sub maple syrup for honey. Do not add honey or maple syrup to this if you are doing a whole30. Make sure to sub in apple juice per the recipe card.