This Healthy Beef and Broccoli is a delicious, paleo meal made in your crock pot. Naturally whole30 and gluten free – it’s easy and yummy!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
You know those meals that you eat and go: “WOW that was really good” ? Yea, that’s this Healthy Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli! It is SO yummy and really simple to make.
This is not an authentic beef and broccoli recipe, but a lighter version of one of my favorites foods that has been made paleo, gluten free, dairy free and nut free for everyone to enjoy.
Ingredients for Healthy Beef & Broccoli
To make this healthy beef and broccoli you’ll need:
- fresh ginger
- coconut aminos
- toasted sesame oil
- rice wine vinegar
- cauliflower rice
- beef steak tips
If you haven’t tried ButcherBox – you really should. They have an awesome deal going on right now!)
I combined the steak tips with a few of my favorite pantry+ fridge staples… and the result was epic. Here’s how we made it.
How to make Healthy Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli:
- Gather all of your ingredients
- Whisk together your marinade
- Add your marinade + beef together in the crockpot. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- When you’re ready to eat, steam your broccoli + drain the liquid from the crockpot into a pan on the stovetop
- Bring the sauce to a rolling boil for 15 minutes until it thickens
- Add meat into thicken sauce, toss to combine + gently shred the meat by pulling it apart!
What’s the best meat to use for beef and broccoli?
- We used steak tips to make this, but you can use many different kinds of beef in this recipe
- Thinly sliced skirt steak, flank steak, or sirloin cut in small 1 inch cubes will all work well
- The steak tips got so tender they literally fell apart, which made this more of a shredded beef and broccoli vs the traditional takeout style that has strips – we liked it so much better that this is the only way we will make it now!
Can you make this recipe in the instant pot?
I haven’t tried this in the instant pot but I’d be worried that the sauce would burn. If you try it, let me know! If you’re looking for other instant pot beef recipes – check out this Instant Pot Beef Stew
Can you make this recipe on the stovetop?
I don’t recommend making this on the stovetop. Cooking the meat low and slow lets it get really tender + delicious, and since it is made with tougher cuts of meat – you need the crockpot to cook it!
Substitutions for this recipe:
You can easily substitute many ingredients in this recipe.
Broth – Chicken or vegetable broth will also work in this recipe.
Cauliflower Rice: You can definitely serve this over regular rice or quinoa if you prefer
Steak Tips/Beef: You can use steak tips, thinly sliced skirt steak, flank steak, or sirloin cut in small 1 inch cubes
Other healthy takeout inspired recipes:
- Healthy Orange Chicken
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Chicken Pad Thai
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Lighter Chicken Fried Rice
- Healthy Sesame Chicken
- Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli
- Healthy Shrimp Stir Fry
Other healthy slow cooker recipes:
- Whole30 Lemon Rosemary Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Ground Beef and Sweet Potato Chili
- Paleo Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
- Paleo Turkey Chili
- Healthy Crockpot Pulled Pork
- One of the 15 Easy Paleo Slow Cooker Recipes in our Ebook!
Healthy Beef and Broccoli
- 2 lbs beef You can use: steak tips, thinly sliced skirt steak, flank steak, or sirloin cut in small 1 inch cubes
- 12 oz broccoli
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- In a bowl mix together marinade. Pour marinade in slow cooker. Stir in beef until coated.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the liquid from the slow cooker and pour into a large pan over the stove. Bring the sauce to a boil. Boil on high for 15 minutes. The sauce should be at a rolling boil bubbling the entire time. Whisk occasionally to prevent sauce from burning.
- While sauce is boiling, cook broccoli. Place in a microwave safe dish with ¼ cup water and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes.
- While broccoli is cooking, lightly sauté cauliflower rice in a pan with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Once sauce has thickened add in cooked meat to the pan, stir to coat with sauce. You can break up the steak by pressing them gently as you stir if you’d like more shredded beef. It should easily fall apart.
- Assemble bowls with cauliflower rice, broccoli + beef.
- Cauliflower Rice – You can definitely serve this over regular rice or quinoa if you prefer
- Steak Tips: You can use steak tips, thinly sliced skirt steak, flank steak, or sirloin cut in small 1 inch cubes
- Honey -You can sub maple syrup for honey. Do not add honey or maple syrup to this if you are doing a whole30. Make sure to sub in apple juice per the recipe card.