Looking for an honest Butcher Box Review? I’m sharing one, including if Butcher Box is worth it, what it costs, and what you get with the service!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links. This post was originally shared in April of 2018.
We’ve been using ButcherBox for over 3 years at this point, so we’re pretty well versed in the service.
I’m sharing all of tips, info, butcher box reviews and answering all your questions below!
What is Butcher Box?
ButcherBox is a meat delivery service that delivers grass fed beef, free range chicken, heritage pork and salmon directly to your door. All of the meat is free of antibiotics & hormones, and it arrives on dry ice so you can just pop it in your freezer + defrost as needed.
One of the most commonly asked questions I get when I post about the service is: Is ButcherBox worth it?
I took the time to do a little research and give you a butcher box review. Before we get into that though – I do want to tell you that Butcher Box has a limited time offer that is going away in a few days.
ButcherBox Discount Code
We have a ButcherBox coupon link for you!
When you join ButcherBox right now you can get free ground beef for life! That means 2 lbs of grass fed, grass finished ground beef in every box for the lifetime of your membership. Click here to join.
Ok, now that we have that out of the way, let’s get into the deets on ButcherBox.
Butcher Box Cost /How much is Butcher Box?
Butcher Box has options that range in cost from $129-$270.
- Curated Box ( ButcherBox Selects the Meats for you)
- Classic Box: $129/month, 8-11 lbs meat
- Big Box: $238/month, 16-22 lbs meat
- Custom Box ( You choose what you want)
- Classic Box: $149/month, 9-14 lbs meat
- Big Box: $270/month, 18-26 lbs meat
You can select if you want:
- Mixed Box (Beef, Chicken, Pork)
- Beef & Pork
- Beef & Chicken
- All Beef
- Custom Box
The Curated Box is pre selected and you can’t pick the cuts of meat you get. The Custom Box is the only option where you can select the types of meat you get.
We get a custom box delivered every month because we like to cook different things every month. Usually I will add on a member special.
ButcherBox offers their members different deals like 10lbs of ground beef for $49.99 or 12 lbs of chicken for $72. Usually I get the chicken one every other month because we eat a lot of chicken!
Note: It might not be the best option for someone with a larger family, or for someone who is going to get chicken, pork + beef and plan to use this as their only source of protein through out the week. You might need the Big Box – which actually winds up being a little cheaper!
You can also select every month, or every other month for your delivery
When you join ButcherBox right now you can get 2 lbs of ground beef for free in EVERY box. Click here to join.
Butcher Box Review
I love Butcher Box for a few reasons. Here are my ButcherBox Reviews:
Why we like ButcherBox:
Here are some of the main reasons we love ButcherBox
- Convenience : The box arrives with all of the meat frozen + on dry ice. You don’t have to go to the store, or look out for sales to get the best prices…they deliver it right to you, and all you have to do is put it right into the freezer.
- Cost Effective: We’ll go over this in detail a little bit later on, but I went to 4 different grocery stores + reviewed prices at the meat department to see if ButcherBox’s prices held up to theirs. (Spoiler Alert: They do!)
- Taste: The taste of ButcherBox’s meat is unparalleled. Seriously, it’s restaurant quality!
- Quality: You’re getting grass fed, free range, heritage breed pork.. It is the best quality meat you can be finding!
Negatives of ButcherBox:
- Packaging – I try to live as low waste as possible, so I don’t love all the cardboard that gets wasted. Thankfully it is recyclable, but I still wish there was a better way!
- Planning Ahead: We get 95% of our meat from ButcherBox so it does require some thinking ahead. If we need specific things for a party or holiday- we have to make sure we order in time!
What Comes In A Butcher Box:
Here’s a look at what comes in an average $129 Curated All Beef Box, broken down by what it is for a serving for us
- 2 lbs Ground Beef – 4 servings
- 2 lbs grass fed steak tips – 4 servings
- 2 10 oz Strip Loin Steaks – 2 servings
- 2 12 oz Top Sirloin Steaks – 2 servings
- 1 24 oz Top Sirloin Cap – 2-3 servings
- 1 10 oz package of Bacon 2-3 servings
For us this comes out to about 16 servings, which is $8/meal per serving. It might be more servings for other people depending on the amount of meat they eat.
When you join ButcherBox right now you can get 2 NY Strip Steaks and 1 pack of bacon for free in your first box. Click here to join.
Who is ButcherBox good for?
ButcherBox is great for people who:
- Love convenience – There’s nothing better than showing up and having your meat already waiting for you.. between this and Thrive Market, there’s no grocery store necessary most weeks!
- Care about the quality of meat- The ButcherBox meat is seriously the best quality. We really value quality when it comes to our food and I think anyone concerned about the quality of meat – this is great for you!
- Want great quality meat are the ideal subscribers for ButcherBox. Your freezer will always be stocked with awesome quality without you ever having to think about it!
ButcherBox is not for people who:
- Can get quality meat locally – If you have a local farm/butcher that is able to give you good quality meat at a good price – you’re lucky! We don’t have that option unfortunately
- Have a tight budget – We know what it’s like to be on a tight budget, and honestly – there was a time where I couldn’t choose to spend extra $$ on quality meat. Do the best you can to eat well, and if that doesn’t include the best quality meat – don’t feel bad!
Butcher Box Price Comparison
Grass fed/free range/good quality meat isn’t cheap. Buying conventional meat is significantly cheaper, and costs can be 50-100% higher if you opt for a grass fed option on something.
I truly believe you get what you pay for, and after years of eating not the best quality meat (I admit it), this is something I’m willing to splurge on.
With this being said: I visited a few local grocery stores near me and found these prices.
Whole Foods: I love Whole Foods, but their meat prices were by far the most expensive.
- Ground Beef: $5.99/lb
- Ribeye: $13.99/lb
- NY Strip Steak: $13.99/lb
- Grass Fed Steak Tips: $14.99/lb
- Grass Fed NY Strip Steak: $19.99/lb
- Grass Fed Ground Beef: $7.99/lb
- Organic Chicken Breasts: $5.49/lb
Stop & Shop: My Stop & Shop didn’t have many grass fed options but they did have grass fed ground beef. All other prices are for non grass-fed beef.
- Sirloin: $8.99/lb
- Porterhouse Steak: $12.99/lb
- Ribeye: $14.99/lb
- Chuck Roast: $5.99/lb
- Grass Fed Ground Beef: $6.49/lb
Trader Joes: I also found that my Trader Joes didn’t have many grass fed options.
- Filet Mignon: $13.99/lb
- Flank Steak: $10.99/lb
- Rib Eye: $12.99/lb
- Steak Tips: $10.49/lb
- Organic Grass Fed Ground Beef: $5.99/lb
- Organic Grass Fed Ground Beef Patties : $6.49/lb
Stew Leonards: This is a local/East Coast shop. None of these meats were grass fed!
- Filet Mignon: $13.99/lb
- Top Round : $6.99/lb
- Ground Beef: $3.99/lb
- Ground Beef: $4.99 (grass fed but not grass finished)
- Chicken: $4.99 (organic but not free range)
ButcherBox Costs to add on to your box (Not all meats can be selected as an add on).
- Ground Beef: 2 1lb bricks/ $15.00 = $7.50/lb OR 10lbs for $64 – $6.40/lb. – When you opt for the larger member deal – ButcherBox beats the other stores.
- Burgers: for 6 1/3lb patties /$16.00 = $8/lb – A little more expensive that Trader Joe’s
- Ribeye Steaks: 2 10 oz steaks/ $25.00 = $20/lb – Butcher Box is more expensive than Stop + Shop + Trader Joes (both of which were not grass fed)
- NY Strip: 2×10 oz steaks/ $22 = 17.60/lb – Butcher Box is about $2 cheaper per lb than my local Whole Foods Grass Fed NY Strips were.
- Chuck Roast: 2.25lbs roast/ $19.00 = $8.44/lb – Unfortunately no stores near me offered grass fed chuck roast so I couldn’t make an accurate comparison. Butcher Box was more expensive than Stop + Shop per lb, but the S&S fed chuck roast wasn’t grass fed, so that is to be expected.
- Organic Chicken Breasts: $8/lb
I encourage you to look at your own local grocers + see what option makes sense for you. Which brings me to my next point.. Butcher Box has looooots of options.
ButcherBox vs Costco
I’ve gotten many questions about what the difference are between Costco meat and ButcherBox. Now I LOVE Costco (see all my costco favorites here) Here are my thoughts on Costco vs ButcherBox:
You’re paying for quality. Costco is basically the same price as ButcherBox, but lower quality. Here’s what I mean:
Chicken -Costco’s chicken is organic, but not free range. The Costco chicken typically comes with a lot of fat on it, and needs to be pounded to be tender. ButcherBox’s chicken is basically all meat, and super tender. When you breakdown the price per lb, Costco is about $1 more. Our costco sells organic chicken for $4.99/lb. I just bought a ButcherBox member deal that was $72 for 12 lbs of chicken, making it about $6 per lb. For an extra dollar, I prefer BB.
Beef – Similar to the chicken, Costco’s beef is organic, but not grass fed/finished. Our Costco’s ground beef is $4.99, and with a BB member deal I got 10 lbs for $49.99. Making them the same price. This is a no brainer for me.. I skip the crowds at costco, and have grass fed/finished beef delivered to me.
Pork – Our costco does not sell any organic pork products (ribs, tenderloins, bacon). The pork Costco sells is lower quality, and therefore cheaper. The last time I was there I looked at the pork tenderloin they had and it had over a month before the sell by date. This personally didn’t sit well with me
Steaks – Our Costco also does not sell organic or grass fed steak. Their steaks are a great price, and taste delicious – but if you want grass fed/organic – ours doesn’t have that option.
ButcherBox’s meat is far superior in quality in my opinion, for just a tiny bit more. However, if you’re looking to save $$ maybe Costco is the route you take! It’s all about what is important to you and what you choose to spend your money on.
Now I know, these prices aren’t cheap – but don’t be discouraged, you CAN get ButcherBox on a budget!
How to Afford Butcher Box on a Budget
Don’t order a custom box. The custom ButcherBox is the most expensive option, and really.. you don’t need it!
We only get a custom box because I’m picky. We like learner cuts of meat and because my business is dependent on recipes, I need to plan ahead and order what I need!
Don’t order things you can get locally at a better price. I have a hard time finding good quality chicken and pork near me at great prices, so that’s what I fill my box up with
If you can find great quality beef but can’t find good quality chicken/pork.. opt for something else! Check out your local grocery store and see where you can find the best prices.
Think about what you’re already spending. The price comparisons above really say it all.. grocery stores are expensive! Why wouldn’t you save a few bucks and enjoy the convenience of having your meat delivered?
Can you cancel ButcherBox?
You can easily cancel or pause your ButcherBox. We had to pause ours for a few months when we moved and it was super easy to do. You can also pause your shipment, or delay it! You aren’t under contract with them for any amount of time.
Is Butcher Box Worth It?
Personally, I think ButcherBox is totally worth the price. Between the convenience, amazing quality, and fair price – it seems like a no brainer to me!
Have questions? We have answers!
I think ButcherBox is totally worth the price. Between the convenience, amazing quality meat, and fair price – it seems like a no brainer to me!
Yes, it’s totally worth it! We have been customers of ButcherBox for years and really enjoy the service and the quality of the products
ButcherBox is without question better than Omaha Steaks If you care about the sourcing of your meat and things like organic, free range, antibiotic free ButcherBox is for you! Omaha Steaks are not certified organic and extremely expensive.
ButcherBox’s meat comes from all over the country/world. The beef comes from Australia, while their chicken comes from farms across the US. Their fish is wild caught throughout the country.
- Cast Iron Steak Recipe
- Healthy Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup
- Paleo Beef Stew
- Whole 30 Unstuffed Pepper Bowls
- How to Cook Crispy Bacon
- Paleo Turkey Chili (You can sub ground beef here!)
- Burger Salad with Dill Pickle Vinaigrette
Love subscription boxes? Check out our favorites!
- SmoothieBox Review – A smoothie subscription box
- Winc Review – A monthly wine subscription
- Trade Coffee Review– A coffee subscription box
- Daily Harvest Review – Another smoothie box subscription we love
- Is Thrive Market Worth It – A yearly subscription we have that is like Whole Foods meets Costco online