Looking for an honest Butcher Box Review? I’m sharing one, including if Butcher Box is worth it, what it costs, and what you get with the service!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links. This post was originally shared in April of 2018.
If you’re curious about ButcherBox, the meat delivery service everyone’s talking about – we’re sharing an unbiased review.
We’ve used the service for 5+ years so we’re clearly fans- but I’m sharing all of tips, info, butcher box reviews and answering all your questions below!
What is butcherbox.com?
ButcherBox is a meat delivery service that delivers grass fed beef, free range chicken, heritage pork and salmon directly to your door.
All of the meat is free of antibiotics & hormones, and it arrives on dry ice so you can just pop it in your freezer + defrost as needed.
One of the most commonly asked questions I get when I post about the service is: Is ButcherBox worth it?
Butcher Box Prices per month
If you’re wondering how much does Butcher Box cost – they have options that range in cost from $146-$306.
- Curated Box (ButcherBox Selects the Meats for you)
- Classic Box: $146/month, 8-11 lbs meat
- Big Box: $269/month, 16-22 lbs meat
- Custom Box (You pick the meat you want)
- Classic Box: $169/month, 9-14 lbs meat
- Big Box: $306/month, 18-26 lbs meat
Types of Meat in ButcherBox
You can select if you want:
- Mixed Box (Beef, Chicken, Pork)
- Beef & Pork
- Beef & Chicken
- All Beef
- Custom Box
- ButcherBox has: salmon, bison, scallops, ground turkey & so much more- you can grab all of those cuts in a custom box
The Curated Box is pre selected and you can’t pick the cuts of meat you get. The Custom Box is the only option where you can select the types of meat you get.
We get a custom box delivered every month because we like to cook different things every month. Usually I will add on a member special/deal
ButcherBox offers their members different deals like 10lbs of ground beef for $49.99 or 12 lbs of chicken for $72. Usually I get the chicken one every other month because we eat a lot of chicken!
If you are a family of 4 who meats meat every week you will need a Big Box.
If you’re only 2 people, get a Regular box and add a few member deals or add ons before your finalize your box each month!
You can also select every month, or every other month for your delivery
ButcherBox Prices: Discount Code
We have a ButcherBox coupon link for you! It’s a special offer only for our readers!
When you join ButcherBox right now you can get 2 lbs of ground beef & $10 off! Click here to try it.
Butcher Box Reviews
I love Butcher Box for a few reasons. Here is my ButcherBox Review:
Here are some of the main reasons we love ButcherBox
- Convenience : The box arrives with all of the meat frozen + on dry ice. You don’t have to go to the store, or look out for sales to get the best prices…they deliver it right to you, and all you have to do is put it right into the freezer.
- Cost Effective: We’ll go over this in detail a little bit later on, but I went to 4 different grocery stores + reviewed prices at the meat department to see if ButcherBox’s prices held up to theirs. (Spoiler Alert: They do!)
- Taste: The taste of ButcherBox’s meat is unparalleled. Seriously, it’s restaurant quality!
- Quality: You’re getting grass fed, free range, heritage breed pork.. It is the best quality meat you can be finding!
- Packaging – I try to live as low waste as possible, so I don’t love all the cardboard that gets wasted. Thankfully it is recyclable, but I still wish there was a better way!
- Planning Ahead: We get 95% of our meat from ButcherBox so it does require some thinking ahead. If we need specific things for a party or holiday- we have to make sure we order in time!
- Freezer space: The meat does take up significant freezer space. It was a tight fit when we lived in a tiny apartment with a small freezer!
When you try ButcherBox today my readers can get 2 lbs of ground beef & $10 off! Click here to try it.
What Comes In A Butcher Box:
ButcherBox has a lot of options for what comes in their boxes. Here are some of the options that you can select
- Beef: Stew Beef, Sirloin Tips, Ground Beef, Trip Tip, Burgers, Flat Iron Steaks, Beef Briskey, Bottom Round Roast, Shoulder Roast, Sirloin Cap, Eye of Round Roast, Ranch Steaks, NY Strip Steaks
- Chicken: Whole Chicken, Boneless Skinless Breasts, Chicken Tenders, Boneless or Bone-In Chicken Thighs, Ground Chicken, Drumsticks, Chicken Wings
- Pork: Ground Pork, Breakfast Sausage, Center Cut Pork Loin Roast, Boneless Pork Chops, Pork Sirloin Roasts, Bone in Pork Butt, Bacon, Pork Tenderloin
- Seafood: Salmon, Salmon Burgers, Cod
- Other: Ground Turkey, Ground Bison, Uncured Hot Dogs
ButcherBox Pros & Cons:
|Cost Effective if you’re |
used to buying organic meat
|Expensive compared |
to conventional meat
|Great Quality Meat||Need to plan ahead with orders|
|Tastes amazing||Freezer Space|
Comparing Butcher Box Prices
Grass fed/free range/good quality meat isn’t cheap. Buying conventional meat is significantly cheaper, and costs can be 50-100% higher if you opt for a grass fed option on something.
This is something I’m willing to splurge on. With this being said: I visited a few local grocery stores near me and found these prices for comparable quality (organic, free range, etc). ButcherBox was less expensive EVERY single time!
Whole Foods: I love Whole Foods, but their meat prices were by far the most expensive.
|Cut of Meat||Whole Foods||ButcherBox|
Stop & Shop: Stop & Shop is a local grocery chain. They’re also called Giant, or Hannaford in other areas.
|Cut of Meat||Stop & Shop||ButcherBox|
Costco doesn’t have the same quality of meat as ButcherBox and other grocers so I couldn’t do a true cost comparison.
- Ground Beef: $4.99 (grass fed but not grass finished)
- Chicken: $4.99 (organic but not free range)
I encourage you to look at your own local grocers + see what option makes sense for you.
ButcherBox vs Costco
I’ve gotten many questions about what the difference are between Costco meat and ButcherBox. Now I LOVE Costco (see all my costco favorites here) Here are my thoughts on Costco vs ButcherBox:
You’re paying for quality. Costco is lower quality meat than ButcherBox:
Chicken – Costco’s chicken is organic, but not free range. The Costco chicken typically comes with a lot of fat on it, and needs to be pounded to be tender. ButcherBox’s chicken is basically all meat, and super tender. I prefer ButcherBox
Beef – Similar to the chicken, Costco’s beef is organic, but not grass fed/finished. Our Costco’s ground beef is $4.99, and with a BB member deal I got 10 lbs for $49.99. Making them the same price. This is a no brainer for me.. I skip the crowds at Costco, and have grass fed/finished beef delivered to me.
Pork – Our Costco does not sell any organic pork products (ribs, tenderloins, bacon). The pork Costco sells is lower quality, and therefore cheaper.
Steaks – Our Costco also does not sell organic or grass fed steak. Their steaks are a great price, and taste delicious – but if you want grass fed/organic – ours doesn’t have that option.
How to afford ButcherBox Prices on a budget
- Don’t order a custom box: The custom ButcherBox is the most expensive option, and really.. you don’t need it!
- Don’t order things you can get locally at a better price: I have a hard time finding good quality chicken and pork near me at great prices, so that’s what I fill my box up with. I find grass fed/grass finished beef is easier to find locally.
- Think about what you’re already spending. The price comparisons above really say it all.. grocery stores are expensive! Why wouldn’t you save a few bucks and enjoy the convenience of having your meat delivered?
Pro Tip for Saving $$
Shop ButcherBox’s member deals! Select your 6 cuts for the month and check out the two tabs: ‘Add ons’ and ‘Deals’. Here you’ll find exclusive deals for ButcherBox members.
I like to stock up on ground beef, ground pork, and chicken here wherever I can. I usually will look at these and then strategically pick the other 6 cuts in my box!
Who is ButcherBox good for?
ButcherBox is good for:
- People who eat a lot of meat: We eat meat every day. I think BB is totally worth it
- Convenience: I don’t like going to the grocery store. Knowing that I always have my freezer stocked with meat is awesome
- People who want to eat good quality meat: I love that I can count on the quality of the meat from BB. I never have to research the farmers and where the meat is coming form because I know the standards they have!
Can you cancel ButcherBox?
You can easily cancel or pause your ButcherBox. We had to pause ours for a few months when we moved and it was super easy to do. You can also pause your shipment, or delay it!
You aren’t under contract with them for any amount of time.
Is Butcher Box trustworthy?
Yes, ButcherBox is totally trustworthy. If you’re looking for high quality meat that is organic, grass fed, and antibiotic free- I completely trust their sourcing process. They work with amazing farmers to find great quality meat!
Is butcherbox really grass fed? YES! ButcherBox is 100% grass-fed and grass-finished. It is guaranteed.
Is Butcher Box Worth It?
Personally, I think ButcherBox is totally worth the price. Between the convenience, amazing quality, and fair price – it seems like a no brainer to me!
When you join ButcherBox right now you can get free chicken for a year! Click here to join.
ButcherBox is without question better than Omaha Steaks If you care about the sourcing of your meat and things like organic, free range, antibiotic free ButcherBox is for you! Omaha Steaks are not certified organic and extremely expensive.
ButcherBox’s meat comes from all over the country/world. The beef comes from Australia, while their chicken comes from farms across the US. Their fish is wild caught throughout the country.
Yes, ButcherBox is good quality meat. It’s all organic, grass fed/grass finished ground beef, heritage bred pork, free range chicken.
- Cast Iron Steak Recipe
- Healthy Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup
- Paleo Beef Stew
- Whole 30 Unstuffed Pepper Bowls
- How to Cook Crispy Bacon
- Paleo Turkey Chili (You can sub ground beef here!)
- Burger Salad with Dill Pickle Vinaigrette
If you’re curious about Smoothie Box, a sister company to ButcherBox- check out this Smoothie Box Review I wrote!
Love subscription boxes? Check out our favorites!
- SmoothieBox Review – A smoothie subscription box
- Winc Review – A monthly wine subscription
- Trade Coffee Review– A coffee subscription box
- Daily Harvest Review – Another smoothie box subscription we love
- Is Thrive Market Worth It – A yearly subscription we have that is like Whole Foods meets Costco online
Favorite The Clean Eating Couple Recipes
- Cook Farro
- Banana Bread With Applesauce
- Healthy Dessert Ideas
- Instant Pot Applesauce Recipe
- Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Gluten-Free Zucchini Bread
Leave a Review