Looking for an honest Butcher Box Review? I’m sharing one, including if Butcher Box is worth it, what it costs, and what you get with the service!
This post may include affiliate links. Click here to read my policy.
If you’ve been around here for a while, you may have heard me talk about ButcherBox before. And if you’re new, you might be wondering what is ButcherBox?
What is Butcher Box?
ButcherBox delivers grass fed beef, free range chicken & heritage pork directly to your door. All of the meat is free of antibiotics & hormones, and it arrives on dry ice so you can just pop it in your freezer + defrost as needed.
One of the most commonly asked questions I get when I post about the service is: Is ButcherBox worth it?
I took the time to do a little research and tackle that question for you. Before we get into that though – I do want to tell you that Butcher Box has a limited time offer that is going away at the end of the month.
You can get 2 FREE lbs of ground beef in EVERY box FOREVER when you sign up with this link. Yes, you read that right.. if you sign up today you’ll get 2 free lbs of ground beef in every single ButcherBox you get forever! This offer is only going on until the end of the month !
Ok, now that we have that out of the way, let’s get into the deets on ButcherBox.
Butcher Box Review
I love Butcher Box for a few reasons. Here are my thoughts:
- Convenience : The box arrives with all of the meat frozen + on dry ice. You don’t have to go to the store, or look out for sales to get the best prices…they deliver it right to you, and all you have to do is put it right into the freezer.
- Cost Effective: We’ll go over this in detail a little bit later on, but I went to 4 different grocery stores + reviewed prices at the meat department to see if ButcherBox’s prices held up to theirs. (Spoiler Alert: They do!)
- Taste: The taste of ButcherBox’s steaks are unparalleled. Seriously, they are restaurant quality.
Clearly I’m into it, but one thing I want to caveat is that I usually only purchase an all beef box from ButcherBox.
Where we are located, the grocery stores/Costco often have really good prices on free range/organic chicken + pork, so we opt to buy those things local.
I encourage you to look at your own local grocers + see what option makes sense for you. Which brings me to my next point.. Butcher Box has looooots of options.
Butcher Box Cost /How much is Butcher Box?
- Curated Box ( ButcherBox Selects the Meats for you)
- Classic Box: $129/month, 8-11 lbs meat
- Big Box: $238/month, 16-22 lbs meat
- Custom Box ( You choose what you want)
- Classic Box: $149/month, 9-14 lbs meat
- Big Box: $270/month, 18-26 lbs meat
Furthermore, you can select if you want a Mixed Box (Beef, Chicken, Pork) , Beef & Pork, Beef & Chicken or All Beef.
Like I mentioned before – we get a Curated All Beef Box delivered every other month. We usually eat red meat 1x a week, so this is the perfect for us (two people).
Note: It might not be the best option for someone with a larger family, or for someone who is going to get chicken, pork + beef and plan to use this as their only source of protein through out the week. You might need the Big Box – which actually winds up being a little cheaper!
Butcher Box Price Comparison
Grass fed/free range/good quality meat isn’t cheap. Buying conventional meat is significantly cheaper, and costs can be 50-100% higher if you opt for a grass fed option on something.
I truly believe you get what you pay for, and after years of eating not the best quality meat (I admit it), this is something I’m willing to splurge on.
With this being said: I visited a few local grocery stores near me and found these prices.
Whole Foods: I love Whole Foods, but their meat prices were by far the most expensive.
- Ground Beef: $5.99/lb
- Ribeye: $13.99/lb
- NY Strip Steak: $13.99/lb
- Grass Fed Steak Tips: $14.99/lb
- Grass Fed NY Strip Steak: $19.99/lb
- Grass Fed Ground Beef: $7.99/lb
Stop & Shop: My Stop & Shop didn’t have many grass fed options but they did have grass fed ground beef. All other prices are for non grass-fed beef.
- Sirloin: $8.99/lb
- Porterhouse Steak: $12.99/lb
- Ribeye: $14.99/lb
- Chuck Roast: $5.99/lb
- Grass Fed Ground Beef: $6.49/lb
Trader Joes: I also found that my Trader Joes didn’t have many grass fed options.
- Filet Mignon: $13.99/lb
- Flank Steak: $10.99/lb
- Rib Eye: $12.99/lb
- Steak Tips: $10.49/lb
- Organic Grass Fed Ground Beef: $5.99/lb
- Organic Grass Fed Ground Beef Patties : $6.49/lb
Stew Leonards: This is a local/East Coast shop. None of these meats were grass fed!
- Filet Mignon: $13.99/lb
- Top Round : $6.99/lb
- Ground Beef: $3.99/lb
ButcherBox Costs to add on to your box (Not all meats can be selected as an add on).
- Ground Beef: 2 1lb bricks/ $15.00 = $7.50/lb – Trader Joes + Stop and Shop both have ButcherBox beat here, but Butcher Box is about .50 cents cheaper per lb than my local whole foods.
- Burgers: for 6 1/3lb patties /$13.00 = $6.50/lb – Same Price as Trader Joes
- Ribeye Steaks: 2 10 oz steaks/ $25.00 = $20/lb – Butcher Box is more expensive than Stop + Shop + Trader Joes (both of which were not grass fed)
- NY Strip: 2×10 oz steaks/ $22 = 17.60/lb – Butcher Box is about cheaper per lb than my local Whole Foods Grass Fed NY Strips were
- Chuck Roast: 2.25lbs roast/ $19.00 = $8.44/lb – Unfortunately no stores near me offered grass fed chuck roast so I couldn’t make an accurate comparison. Butcher Box was more expensive than Stop + Shop per lb, but the S&S fed chuck roast wasn’t grass fed, so that is to be expected.
Now I know, these prices aren’t cheap – but don’t be discouraged, you CAN get ButcherBox on a budget!
How to Afford Butcher Box on a Budget
- Don’t order a custom box. The custom ButcherBox is the most expensive option, and really.. you don’t need it!
- I’ve never been disappointed with their curated boxes, and I kind of like the surprise each month. It forces me to get creative in the kitchen and try things I normally wouldn’t!
- Don’t order things you can get locally at a better price. I can find good quality chicken and pork near me at great prices, so I opt to get an all beef box from ButcherBox!
- If you can find great quality beef but can’t find good quality chicken/pork.. opt for something else! Check out your local grocery store and see where you can find the best prices.
- Think about what you’re already spending. The price comparisons above really say it all.. grocery stores are expensive! Why wouldn’t you save a few bucks and enjoy the convenience of having your meat delivered?
What Comes In A Butcher Box:
Here’s what I got for $129, broken down by what it is for a serving for us
- 2 lbs Ground Beef – 4 servings
- 2 lbs grass fed steak tips – 4 servings
- 2 10 oz Strip Loin Steaks – 2 servings
- 2 12 oz Top Sirloin Steaks – 2 servings
- 1 24 oz Top Sirloin Cap – 2-3 servings
- 1 10 oz package of Bacon 2-3 servings
For us this comes out to about 16 servings, which is $8/meal per serving. It might be more servings for other people depending on the amount of meat they eat.
Is Butcher Box Worth It?
Personally, I think ButcherBox is totally worth the price. Between the convenience, amazing quality, and fair price – it seems like a no brainer to me!
As a reminder – if you want to try ButcherBox you can use this link to sign up and get a 2 FREE lbs of ground beef in EVERY box, FOREVER! This is the BEST offer they will have for a while, so if you’ve been wanting to sign up – go for it! Click here to get all that free goodness!!