This Healthy Beef Barley Soup Recipe a delicious, cozy dinner. Made with only a few simple ingredients in either your instant pot, crockpot or stove top.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
This Healthy Beef Barley Soup recipe is one that you’ll want to make over and over again! Packed with protein, whole grains, and flavor – it’s simple to make and so delicious!
The hearty barley and tender pieces of beef combined with nutrient dense broth and veggies is a match made in heaven! This soup can be made quickly in your instant pot, on the stove, or in your crockpot/slow cooker!
Soup is one of my favorite things to eat during the winter months. No only is it cozy and delicious, it’s nourishing for your body. When I make soups I load them up with protein, veggies, and the best broth/whole grains I can find!
Healthy Beef Barley Soup is easier to make than you think! You only need a few ingredients, many of which you probably already have in your pantry/fridge!
Things we used for this recipe:
- instant pot or crockpot
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- bay leaves
- beef broth
- pearl barley
- soup crocks
What’s the best beef to use for beef barley soup?
I used beef stew meat in this recipe that I cut up in tiny pieces. I’ve also made this recipe with chuck roast or steak tips that I cut up. You don’t need to use a very expensive cut of meat for this soup, because once the meat is cooked it will get super tender and fall apart!
How to make Healthy Beef Barley Soup in the crockpot/slow cooker:
To make healthy beef barley soup in the slow cooker/crockpot, brown your meat in a pan per the directions in step one. Add browned meat and remaining ingredients into the slow cooker. Stir until combined and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
How to make Healthy Beef Barley Soup on the stove top
To make healthy beef barley soup the stovetop, follow steps 1-2.brown your meat in a pan per the directions in step one, and add in your veggies to sauté.
Once veggies are soft, add in your remaining ingredients and bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes until barley is fully cooked.
Other healthy soup recipes:
- Healthy Lemon Chicken Soup
- Whole30 Italian Wedding Soup
- Healthy Potato Soup
- Paleo Butternut Squash Soup
- Crockpot Chicken Quinoa Taco Soup
- 15 Bean Soup
Healthy Beef Barley Soup
- 2 lbs beef stew meat cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 2 cups carrots sliced in small pieces
- 1 cup celery finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 1 cup pearl barley uncooked
- 1 parmesan cheese rind (optional)
- Turn instant pot on sauté setting. Heat olive oil. Sauté stew meat until slightly brown, approximately 10 minutes
- When meat is brown, add spices, veggies, broth + barley to the pot (all uncooked).
- On the Soup/Broth setting, set cook time to 20 minutes on high. Allow the pot to come to pressure and cook.
- Once cooked, quick release the pot before removing the lid.
- Remove bay leaves + parmesan cheese rind. Stir + enjoy!