This Whole30 Italian Wedding Soup is the perfect cozy, healthy dinner It’s gluten free, grain free and dairy free but packed with flavor and veggies! This post is sponsored by Vital Proteins (who you already know I love!)
I’m so excited to share this recipe for Whole30 Italian Wedding Soup! This veggie packed cozy soup is one of my favorite things to make during the winter.
It has cute little baby meatballs, loads of veggies, and then gets simmered in a delicious, protein rich broth for maximum flavor.
This Whole30 Italian Wedding Soup has pretty much been my favorite meal over the past few months. I could eat soup basically every day for lunch/dinner, especially when it’s cold out.
I love soups because you can load them up with alll the veggies, pack them with protein, and add in secretly nutritious things like Vital Protein’s Bone Broth Collagen.
This stuff is basically like powdered gold. It’s like those bouillon cubes that you probably have from 5 years ago waaaay in the back of your cabinet, but upgraded to be nutrient dense + good for you instead of having MSG or other gross additives. This Bone Broth Collagen is amazing for adding to soups like this one, stews, or any meal for flavor!
I love it in my Whole30 Chicken Fajitas or as an addition to Healthy Taco Seasoning. With 9g of protein per serving, its great for adding to pretty much anything to amp up the flavor + make it more filling.
In addition to being veggie packed, this soup isn’t a carb bomb – and it’s actually got a good amount of protein because of the meatballs!
Yes, part of this recipe means you have to make little itty bitty meatballs. They take an extra few minutes- but they’re SO worth it. I mean.. look at how cute these guys are?! I had to stop myself from eating them right off the baking sheet!
I’m all about sneaking nutrients in wherever I can, whether that be pureeing up spinach in the meatballs, swapping pasta with zucchini.. etc. Any time I can make something better for me (while still tasting delish) I do it.
I think that’s pretty much what healthy eating is all about – making small changes to make your favorite things a little bit better with you!
Things you’ll need to make Whole30 Italian Wedding Soup
- cassava flour
- olive oil
- Vital Proteins Bone Broth Collagen
- bay leaves
- red pepper
- chicken stock
- food processor
Tips for making this Whole30 Italian Wedding Soup
- Be sure to add the zucchini noodles to your bowl ONLY when you’re ready to serve. They will not hold well in the soup! Then if you have extra soup, you can store the soup + noodles separately + the noodles wont get soggy.
- When spiralizing your zucchini noodles, squeeze them with a paper towel to absorb the moisture
- If you are saving your zucchini noodles, I like to put them in a container or a stasher bag with a folded paper towel, it will help absorb any extra moisture so they stay fresh and don’t get soggy!
- Using a food processor for ‘chopping’ herbs + veggies is the best! For the meatballs, I put the herbs, spinach, onions + garlic in the food processor and pulsed until they were fine pieces. I did the same thing for the soup!
Can you make this Whole30 Italian Wedding Soup in the crockpot/slow cooker?
Yes, you can make this soup in the crockpot. Add cooked meatballs + all soup ingredients in the crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours. (You can give your veggies a quick sauté before adding to the pot if you have time, but if not – don’t worry about it!)
Other healthy soup recipes:
- Healthy Lemon Chicken Soup
- Healthy Beef Barley Soup
- Paleo Butternut Squash Soup
- Crockpot Chicken Quinoa Taco Soup
Whole30 Italian Wedding Soup
For the Meatballs:
For the soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 2 cups carrots sliced in small circles
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped finely
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Vital Proteins Bone Broth Collagen
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 64 oz chicken stock (2 quarts)
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 2 cups zucchini noodles chopped
- Preheat oven to 450
- In a bowl mix together all ingredients for meatballs until combined.
- On a lined cookie sheet (I use parchment paper), drop ½ inch round meatballs. They can be fairly close together as they do not spread.
- Bake meatballs for 10 minutes, until golden brown
- While meatballs are cooking, in a large pot, heat olive oil. Add onions, celery, garlic + carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes until onions start to soften.
- Add cooked meatballs, remaining spices, and chicken stock to the pot. Note: do NOT add the chopped spinach + zucchini noodles to the pot! Cook the soup on high for 30 minutes.
- Once soup is cooked, stir in chopped spinach + serve over zucchini noodles