This Apple Walnut Salad is delicious and easy to make. A salad with apples and walnuts that is healthy, fresh and great for meal prep!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
If you think salads have to be boring, please allow this fall Apple Walnut Salad recipe to change your mind!
Loaded with seasonal apples, crisp red onions, and crumbly feta, topped with a tangy balsamic vinaigrette, this salad is perfect for lunch, meal prep, or as a holiday side dish.
This Apple Walnut Feta Salad is so fresh, vibrant, and vegetarian-friendly! The perfect fall flavorful dish!
why we love this apple walnut salad recipe
There is a lot to love about this apple salad. It’s one of our favorites for a hearty salad because it’s:
- Quick and Easy: This salad recipe only takes 15 minutes to make and is even quicker if you already have roasted walnuts.
- Versatile: Salads are such a great way to mix and match whatever toppings you want! Check the green box below for our suggestions.
- Great for meal prep: Because it lasts well in the fridge, this salad is great for meal prep!
Ingredients for Apple Walnut Salad:
Here’s what you need to make the best fall salad:
Ingredients for the vinaigrette:
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
How to Make Apple Cranberry Walnut Salad
- Prep the Walnuts– Spread walnuts out in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 6-7 minutes, or until golden and fragrant. Immediately transfer to a cutting board to cool, then roughly chop them.
- Make the Vinaigrette– Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Whisk together to combine.
- Assemble the salad– In a large serving bowl, add the chopped lettuce and half of the red onions, cranberries, feta cheese, apple slices, and walnuts. Add a few tablespoons of the salad dressing and toss the salad together.
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR APPLE WALNUT SALAD
Apples: Gala, Granny Smith, Fiji, Honeycrisp, or any other crunchy variety will work!
Lettuce: You can use green or red leaf lettuce, spinach, romaine, arugula, etc.
Cranberries: Feel free to use raisins or any other dried fruit of your liking. You can also skip them.
Dairy-free: To make this salad dairy free, replace regular feta cheese with a dairy-free variety or skip it.
Feta: Sub feta for goat cheese or blue cheese.
Dijon Mustard: Using whole-grain or stone-ground mustard instead will do the trick.
Additional toppings: Feel free to add more or fewer toppings.
How to Serve Apple Walnut Salad:
Just don’t forget to drizzle the creamy balsamic dressing over top! You could also top with pumpkin seeds and goat cheese. Try pairing it with Red Wine Sangria.
You can also serve this with Healthy Chicken Salad on top – we have that for lunch all the time!
How to Store this Fall Salad:
Storing: Keep the apple salad separate from the dressing in the fridge for up to 2-3 days; dress immediately before serving.
Separating: The dressing may separate. If it does just shake vigorously or quickly blend again!
Walnut Apple Salad
- When walnuts are cooked, immediately transfer to a cutting board to cool, then roughly chop them.
- In a large serving bowl, add the chopped lettuce and half of the red onions, cranberries, feta cheese, apple slices, and walnuts.
- Add a few tablespoons of the dressing and toss the salad together.
- Continue adding dressing to your preferred taste, or serve it on an individual basis. Top the salad bowl with the remaining cranberries, feta, walnuts, and apples. Serve immediately!