This is the best Kale Salad Recipe! Loaded with cranberries, avocado, apples and more – this kale apple salad is delicious and easy to make!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
This is truly the best kale salad recipe. It’s loaded with ALL the toppings: apples, dried cranberries, goat cheese, avocado.. and then topped with the best fresh lemon dressing (made with fresh lemon juice).
This Simple Kale Salad is filling, delicious and will make you see kale in a whole different way.
Kale is definitely one of those ‘health foods’ that gets an eye roll from most people. It can be bitter, earthy.. and just plain gross if you don’t prepare it the right way.
This summer kale salad is the best way to enjoy your kale. I know you’ll love this salad!
Why we love this Simple Kale Salad
There is a lot to love about this recipe. It’s one of our favorites, especially during the summer months because it’s:
- SO simple to make– No need to turn on the oven or stove on a hot summer day. Simply add all your delicious ingredients into a bowl and toss in our zesty lemon dressing. The perfect side dish!
- PACKED with nutrients– It’s no secret that kale is a superfood, this salad is full of vitamins and nutrients to help you maintain a healthy diet without sacrificing taste.
- MIX and MATCH– One of the best things about salads is the endless room for possibilities. Feel free to add or substitute any of your personal favorite toppings into the mix.
Kale Lemon Salad Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make kale salad!
- fresh dinosaur kale
- toppings: sliced almonds, goats cheese, dried cranberries, green apple, avocado
Ingredients for Fresh Lemon Dressing
A citrus juicer will also be helpful to have!
You can find substitutions for all ingredients below in the green shaded box.
How to prepare Kale for salad
If you’ve never prepped kale before, it’s so easy to do!
- Near the base of the stem, slightly peel the edges of the leafs off the stem.
- Grip the center of the stem (the rib of the kale) and pull the kale leaves back so you’re left only with soft kale.
- You can discard the stem.
You can eat all of the kale, stem included if you’d like but the stem is very tough and usually bitter.
How do you cut kale for salad? One you’ve destemmed your kale, use a sharp knife to cut it into square pieces or thinly slice it – it’s up to you how big you’d like the pieces to be.
How to make Lemon Kale Salad
Making this salad is easy! Here’s how to do it:
- In a food processor or small blender mix together olive oil, lemon juice/zest, dijon mustard, honey, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Remove kale from stems and chop into 1-inch pieces.
- Place the chopped kale in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss kale with toppings and kale salad dressing in a large bowl until evenly coated.
Easy Kale Salad Recipe Substitutions
Dinosaur (Lacinato) Kale: If you are unable to find dino kale, you can substitute curly kale or red Russian kale (maybe tuscan kale). You can also use fresh spinach or romaine lettuce as a substitution.
Craisins: Feel free to use raisins or any other dried fruit of your liking. You can also skip the craisins
Goats cheese: Feta cheese is a great alternative to goat’s cheese in this salad.
Dijon Mustard: Using whole-grain or stone-ground mustard instead will do the trick.
Additional toppings: Feel free to add more or fewer toppings.
To Make it Lower Carb: This salad is already relatively healthy. If you want it to be lower carb you can skip the craisins and apples.
To Make it Lower Calorie: Substitute the avocado and goat’s cheese toppings for lower fat and calorie options like fruit.
Lemon Kale Salad FAQ
Yes you can eat kale raw in a salad! Kale is totally fine to eat raw. It’s delicious and has a nice taste.
Kale salad can be good for weight loss. Weight loss comes from being in a calorie deficit and kale is low in calories.
The best way to get the bitterness out of kale salad is to massage the kale with dressing. Salad dressing helps to tenderize the kale. Dinosaur or Lacinato Kale is much less bitter than curly kale.
The best way to serve kale is in a salad! Toss it with your favorite dressing and lots of delicious toppings.
How to serve Kale Salad with Lemon Dressing
This Kale salad recipe is super filling on its own, but here are some other things you can serve it with
- Grilled Vegetables in Foil
- Honey Garlic Shrimp
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken
- Pineapple Grilled Chicken
- Garlic Lime Flank Steak
Simple Kale Salad Storage
Storing: This will simple kale salad recipe will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
Separating: The dressing may separate. If it does just shake vigorously or quickly blend again!
Other healthy salad recipes:
Here are some of our other favorite salad recipes. For more ideas checkout these Healthy Dressing Recipes!
Lemon Kale Salad
Kale Salad Ingredients:
- In a food processor or small blender mix together olive oil, lemon juice/zest, dijon mustard, honey, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Remove kale from stems and chop into 1 inch pieces.
- Place the chopped kale in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss kale with toppings and dressing in a large bowl until evenly coated.