This Easy Honey Garlic Shrimp Recipe is delicious and simple to make! A healthy honey shrimp dinner everyone will love!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
These honey glazed shrimp are perfect for a busy weeknight and can be paired with so many sides for a balanced meal!
Made with 9 ingredients that are mostly pantry staples, the shrimp are prepped and cooked in 30 minutes.
You are going to love this sweet and saucy protein! If you are looking for another delicious shrimp recipe, try these chili lime shrimp, shrimp stir fry, or check out this list of Healthy Shrimp Recipes.
why we love this healthy honey garlic shrimp:
There is a lot to love about this honey garlic shrimp recipe. Here’s why it’s one of our favorites:
- Easy to make – This recipe only takes 30 minutes to make!
- Versatile – You can serve these honey shrimp in so many ways! There are also so many substitutions for this recipe depending on what you have and what your preferences are (our recommendations in the green box below).
- Good for meal prep – Even though these are best enjoyed fresh, you can store these in the fridge for a few days if you want to meal prep for the week.
Ingredients for Easy Honey Shrimp
To make Easy Honey Shrimp you’ll need:
- medium shrimp
- butter or olive oil
- minced garlic
- coconut aminos
- fresh lime juice
- black pepper, red chili flakes
- chopped scallions for garnishing
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded substitutions box.
How to Make Honey Garlic Shrimp
- In a pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of olive oil/butter. Add garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes until fragrant and slightly softened.
- Add honey, soy sauce, lime juice, black pepper, and chili flakes. Stir and cook over low heat for 4-5 minutes until the sauce becomes sticky. Once the sauce has thickened, remove the sauce from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt 1 tablespoon of olive oil/butter. Add the shrimp in a single layer and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Once the shrimps turn pink and curl slightly, add the sauce and cook for another 1 minute so that the shrimps are well coated in the sauce. (do not overcook)
- Serve hot garnished with chopped scallions, rice, and steamed broccoli.
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR HONEY GARLIC SHRIMP
Olive Oil: You can substitute olive oil with avocado oil, butter, or ghee.
Garlic: I don’t recommend skipping the garlic in this recipe. It adds flavor!
Honey: I haven’t tried substituting honey with maple syrup, but I think it would work. I don’t know if low/no sugar sweetener alternatives will work.
Low Sodium Soy Sauce: You can substitute low sodium soy sauce with regular soy sauce, or coconut aminos. Bragg’s liquid aminos will also work but make sure to use 1/2 the amount because it’s very salty.
Lime Juice: Don’t use bottled lime juice- use freshly squeezed. You can also add some lime zest for flavor.
Shrimp: You can remove the tail of the shrimp if you want or not. Using fresh shrimp will give the best results and flavors however, you can use frozen shrimp as well. Make sure to defrost the frozen shrimp in cold water before cooking.
Other Add Ins: You can add 1 teaspoon of chopped ginger along with garlic to the sauce for an added flavor.
Red Pepper Flakes: You can cut the red pepper flakes entirely or reduce the quantity to half if you want no or less heat.
To Make it Lower Carb: I haven’t tried making this with a low/no carb sweetener so I don’t know how it would work.
To Make it Lower Calorie: I haven’t tried cutting down the number of calories but spraying the pan with olive oil instead of pouring it into the pan should save some calories.
Plant Based options: I haven’t tried making this recipe with tofu or beans but I think it would work!
Helpful Tip: Keep a close eye while cooking the shrimps as overcooking would dry the shrimps out and make them rubbery.
How to Serve Honey Garlic Shrimp
This recipe is extremely versatile and can be served in several ways! We like it with:
- rice or other grains
- cauliflower fried rice
- lettuce wraps or on a salad
- broccoli on the side
- roasted brussels sprouts
How to Store Garlic Shrimp
Honey Garlic Shrimp are best eaten right when they are cooked. Shrimp can get bouncy when reheated so it’s best to enjoy them fresh.
Refrigerating: You can store the leftover honey garlic shrimps in an airtight container for 3 days in the refrigerator.
Freezing: I have not tried freezing this recipe. I’m not sure that it would work. They would probably be a weird texture when reheated.
Reheating: You can reheat this recipe in the microwave, but I find that it’s best to reheat them on the stovetop until warm. Do not overheat, as the shrimps can dry out.
Other healthy dinner recipes:
Looking for other easy meals? Check out these 40+ Healthy Dinner Recipes. Click here to grab our free healthy 30 minute dinners cookbook.
Easy Honey Garlic Shrimp Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic about 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 lb medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- Chopped scallions for garnishing
- In a pan over medium heat melt 2 tablespoons of butter or heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes until fragrant and slightly softened.
- Add honey, coconut aminos, lime juice, black pepper, and chili flakes. Stir and cook over low heat for 4-5 minutes until the sauce becomes sticky.
- Once the sauce has thickened, remove the sauce from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan over medium heat melt 1 tablespoon of butter or add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the shrimp in a single layer, and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Once the shrimps turn pink and curled slightly, add the sauce and cook for another 1 minute so that the shrimps are well coated in the sauce. (do not overcook)
- Serve hot garnished with chopped scallions, rice and steamed broccoli.
Leave a Review