Stock your kitchen with these Healthy Pantry Staples to make sure you can always have what you need for a quick, nutritious meal. This post was sponsored by my friends at Thrive Market.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
There are always a few objections I get to eating healthy:
- Too Expensive
- Too Confusing
- It takes too much time
- I don’t know where to start
Have no fear, if you’ve ever thought any of the above things – this healthy pantry staples list is going to help you!
Eating well doesn’t have to be expensive (check out this post on Eating Healthy on a Budget or 50+ Cheap, Budget Recipes) and it certainly doesn’t have to be confusing or take too much time (all of our recipes are designed to be made quickly with easy steps!)
If you don’t know where to start – this list will help you!
What should everyone have in their pantry?
I’ll be breaking down the exact things we keep in our pantry by category (canned, fridge/freezer, grains, condiments, spices, baking, snacks and produce) but here are my top 5 pantry must haves!
- Olive Oil – We cook every day with olive oil. It’s the base of most recipes, but can also be used for homemade dressings
- Rice – Quick to cook, cheap, and a great complex carb that goes with any meal.
- Spices – We have a list of our must have spices included below. Spices can take bland chicken and veggies to a flavorful meal!
- Canned Tomatoes – can be used in soups, sauce, chili + more!
- Frozen Vegetables – green beans, cauliflower rice & broccoli are great to have on hand to add to quick meals.
We love to get all of our pantry staples from Thrive Market.
The way Thrive Market works is you join for a small membership fee (similar to Costco) and you get access to thousands of products at a discount.
Thrive Market has their own brand of products which are awesome (and what I usually buy!) but they also have brand name products that you’d find in regular/specialty grocers.
Right now Thrive Market is giving you 30% off your first order and a free gift when you join today.
Now let’s get into our pantry staples!
Healthy Canned Goods
Our pantry is filled with canned goods. They’re affordable, last for a long time and are great for keeping in your pantry for when you need something quick
- Tomatoes- Crushed Tomatoes, Diced Tomatoes, Tomato paste and tomato sauce
- Canned Beans
- Canned Vegetables – We prefer frozen veggies, but in a pinch canned peas or green beans are great too
- Canned Tuna
- Broth – We prefer making our own homemade bone broth, but packaged chicken broth or veggie broths are great to have on hand. Opt for low sodium wherever possible
- Canned Coconut Milk or Shelf Stable NonDairy Milks – can be used to make creamy soups or a quick protein shake
Healthy Grains & Legumes
While we eat mostly grain/legume free, we always have the following items on hand.
- Oatmeal – steel cut and old fashioned
- Dried beans – we use kidney beans, black beans, and great northern beans the most. They’re great for adding to soups like Easy Minestrone Soup or Pasta Fagioli. Chickpeas are also great for a quick meal like this Vegan Orange Chicken
- Rice– White, Brown, Jasmine, Arborio
- Pasta– Pasta is the ultimate quick healthy dinner. Any shape will do! Some of our favorite weeknight meals are one pot pasta The Best Baked Feta Pasta Recipe, Balsamic Chicken Pasta, or Healthy Pasta Primavera
Oils and condiments can take boring meals to delicious meals! Thrive Market has a variety of condiments/oils that you can use to cook with or jazz up your food.
- Oils (Olive, Avocado, Coconut) – We use avocado and olive oil every day because of its high smoke point.
- Ghee – Not necessarily a ‘staple’ for us but a lot of people who do keto like ghee!
- Coconut Aminos– an instant flavor boost to any meal. We use them all the time!
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Dressings – Honey Mustard, Green Goddess, and Greek are my favorite from Thrive
- Buffalo Sauce
Healthy Baking Staples:
If you want to try your hand at any healthy desserts, these healthy baking staples are good to keep on hand!
- Maple syrup & honey
- Coconut Sugar – good for paleo baking
- Nuts/seeds – we love to have walnuts, pecans, flax seeds, and chia seeds on hand
- Coconut & Almond Flour – Great for Healthy Lemon Bars or other paleo/grain free baking
- Whole Wheat Flour
Spices are essential for adding flavor to recipes. Here’s our list of must have spices:
- Salt, Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Basil, Dried Parsley, Dried Oregano
- Chili Powder
- Bay Leaves
Healthy Pantry Snacks
No pantry is complete without snacks. Here are some of our favorites to keep on hand
- Turkey Sticks/Jerky
- Nut Butter
Healthy Produce Staples
Even though produce technically isn’t part of the pantry, it’s a staple in our house and a must if you’re looking to eat healthier. Here are our favorites.
- Potatoes, Onions, and Garlic will last the longest. We store these in a cool, dry place to maintain freshness
- Carrots & Celery – the base of every great soup or stew
- Greens – Spinach, Kale, or spring mix are a weekly staple
- Cherry tomatoes – perfect for throwing in a salad
- Zucchini – great for a stir fry or turning into zoodles for pasta
- Berries, Apples & Oranges
- Lemons & Limes
Healthy Refrigerator/Freezer Staples:
The fridge and freezer are an extension of our pantry. Here are some things we always have on hand!
- Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- Cheddar & Parmesan Cheese
- Organic Milk or Almond Milk
- Meat: Chicken, Pork, Ground Turkey, Ground Beef
- Frozen Vegetables: Green Beans, Broccoli, and Corn are my favorites
- Frozen Fruit
A mix of these items can all be found on Thrive Market. Click here to get 30% off your first order and a free gift!
Healthy Pantry FAQ
A healthy pantry should have a mix of grains, legumes, canned goods, spices and oils/condiments. A mix of these foods are perfect for stocking your healthy pantry.
There’s no one ‘healthiest’ staple food, but beans or canned tuna are probably the best things to keep on hand in your pantry. They’re high in protein and shelf stable for a long time!