Healthy Unstuffed Peppers are a hearty, easy meal everyone will love! Keto, whole30, paleo and so yummy! Perfect for a quick weeknight dinner!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links. This post was originally shared in February of 2018.
If you’re looking for something easy to make for dinner tonight – you’re going to LOVE these Healthy Unstuffed Peppers. We love them because they’re delicious – but they also only take about 30 minutes start to finish to make!
These Healthy Unstuffed Pepper bowls are basically the lazy version of my Whole30 Stuffed Peppers. Both are great, but when you want to do a little lest work – this is the option for you!
These Whole30 Unstuffed Pepper Bowls are such a simple dinner to make.
What makes these Whole30 Unstuffed Pepper Bowls so awesome?
- Whole30/Paleo/Gluten Free– There are no grains or dairy in this recipe!
- Low Carb– If you’re keto or low carb, these bowls are for you! The cauliflower rice is a great lower carb substitute from the rice that is normally in stuffed peppers! (Although feel free to add in rice if you’re not low carb!)
- High Protein – Lots of ground turkey = high protein, making this the perfect dinner to help keep you feeling full!
- Veggie Loaded – I used cauliflower rice as the base of these unstuffed pepper bowls, and lots of tomato sauce which amps up the veggie content!
We have an awesome Whole 30 Stuffed Peppers Recipe that we love (and many others love too!)
Those are great if you have a bite of extra time to stuff the peppers and set up your crockpot/instant pot (or pop them in the oven!) But when you don’t want to deal with that – these Whole30 Unstuffed Pepper Bowls are the way to go.
Ingredients for Unstuffed Pepper Bowls
To make unstuffed pepper bowls you’ll need:
- ground turkey (or beef)
- tomato sauce – I use my Healthy Tomato Sauce but you could use jarred
- olive oil
- some spices
- cauliflower rice
I prefer to use fresh herbs in this recipe, but I’ve included substitutions for dried herbs below.
How to make Unstuffed Peppers:
Making these unstuffed peppers is so simple.
- Brown your meat.
- Once it’s completely cooked, add in your peppers, spices and sauce. Stir to combine and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- While your meat/sauce mixture cooks, in a separate pan -put together your cauliflower rice mixture. It only takes about 2-3 minutes to cook!
Substitutions for these Whole30 Unstuffed Pepper Bowls:
Cheese– If you’re not doing a Whole30 – a sprinkle of parmesan cheese or a dollop of ricotta is delicious on these bowls! You can also stir in shredded mozzarella right before serving to make it nice and melty!
Herbs – If you don’t have fresh herbs you can substitute dried herbs. For 1 tablespoon fresh herbs, use 1 teaspoon dried herbs
Garlic– If you prefer to use fresh garlic, sub 1/2 teaspoon with 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves). A cup or so of chopped fresh onion would also be a nice addition to this – but it’s not necessary
Rice– If you’re not doing a Whole30 you can sub cauliflower rice with regular rice, or any other grain like quinoa or farro.
Storing unstuffed pepper bowls:
These bowls will last for 4-5 days in your refrigerator.
Freezing: You can freeze these bowls, but be warned that the cauliflower rice may get a little watery.
If you want to freeze, I would recommend only making the meat portion of the dish and freezing that, then cooking the cauliflower rice when it’s time to eat.
Reheating: If decide to freeze these- store in airtight containers and allow it to cool completely before freezing. When ready to eat, defrost the night before in your refrigerator or just pop in a microwave/pan and heat! If stored properly it should stay good for 4-6 months.
Other delicious Whole30 Dinner Recipes:
- Healthy Crockpot Pulled Pork
- Whole30 Pesto Chicken Zucchini Noodles
- BBQ Chicken Meatloaf
- Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Paleo Turkey Chili
- Healthy Asian Turkey Stir Fry
Healthy Unstuffed Peppers
For the Meat/Veggies:
- In a pan, heat olive oil. Add ground turkey to the pan + sauté for 10-15 minutes until browned. While turkey is cooking, chop veggies.
- Add spices, chopped peppers and sauce. Sauté on low heat for an additional 5-10 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- While turkey and sauce mixture are cooking, in a separate pan – heat olive oil for the cauliflower rice.
- Heat olive oil in the pan. Add cauliflower rice + herbs, and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Assemble bowls with cauliflower rice + turkey/veggie mixture. Serve + enjoy!