An Easy Stuffed Pepper Casserole Recipe that is so yummy! A healthy dinner that is made in one pan in under an hour! Gluten free & delicious.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
We have fallen in love with casserole recipes. They are so simple to make and when you make them without canned soups (filled with weird ingredients) and pack them with veggies and protein, they can be a really healthy dinner option!
We love stuffed bell peppers and wanted to take those delicious flavors and put them in a casserole. You are going to love it!
Why we love this Stuffed Bell Pepper Casserole Recipe:
There is so much to like about this stuffed bell pepper casserole recipe! Here’s why it is one of our favorites:
- One Pan – Everyone loves a one pan meal which means fewer dishes at the end of the meal!
- Simple Ingredients – Most of these ingredients are pantry staples and there are only 10 ingredients and some spices needed for this delicious casserole!
- Done In Under An Hour – This stuffed pepper casserole recipe is so quick and easy. You can have dinner on the table in less than an hour!
Stuffed Pepper Casserole Ingredients
To make this stuffed pepper casserole you will need:
- olive oil
- onion, garlic
- diced bell peppers
- ground beef
- canned tomato sauce, petite diced tomatoes
- salt, pepper, dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley
- white minute rice
- beef broth
- mozzarella cheese
How do you make Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- In a skillet or dutch oven, saute garlic, onion, peppers, and beef in olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Then pour in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, rice, and beef broth. Stir to combine.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes remove the cover and add cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes.
Do you have to pre-cook the meat for the stuffed bell pepper casserole recipe? Yes, you need to pre-cook the meat for the stuffed bell pepper casserole. Ground meat should always be browned before being added to a recipe for food safety. In addition to killing any bacteria, browning meat adds a ton of flavor to a dish.
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR STUFFED PEPPER CASSEROLE
What are the best peppers for this recipe? Bell peppers are the best peppers for this recipe. Any color will work. Red, orange and yellow are all sweeter, but green peppers have a more mild flavor.
Tomato Sauce/Petite Diced Tomatoes: We wouldn’t recommend omitting tomato sauce or petite diced tomatoes. Both are necessary for the recipe. Regular diced tomatoes will work, we just prefer the smaller ones.
Minute Rice: If you don’t have minute rice, you can use brown rice. Use cooked brown rice and reduce the amount of beef broth to only a 1/2 cup. We have not tried regular cooked or raw white rice and wouldn’t recommend it. We do not recommend swapping the rice with cauliflower rice. If you need a grain free recipe try our Whole30 Stuffed Peppers.
Extra Vegetables: You can add more veggies to this dish. I think raw or frozen green beans would be a nice addition or diced carrots.
Dairy Free: To make this recipe dairy free, omit the cheese or use dairy free cheese.
WW Points: The points will vary depending on the plan you follow. The points for this recipe were calculated as follows: Olive Oil: 1 SP Ground Beef 90/10: 21, Rice: 20, Cheese: 4SP = 46/6 8 points per serving.
Did you know I have a FREE 7 Day Healthy Meal Plan? Click here for the details!
What sides to eat with stuffed bell pepper casserole?
This stuffed bell pepper casserole is a complete meal in itself! You can serve more veggies on the side. Here are some of our favorite veggie side dishes:
- Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Grilled Vegetables
- Honey Thyme Garlic Carrots
- Green Beans Almondine
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
How to store stuffed pepper casserole
Refrigerator: This stuffed pepper casserole will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freezing: We haven’t tried freezing this stuffed pepper casserole. Rice can sometimes get soggy, so we wouldn’t recommend it.
Make Ahead: You can make this stuffed pepper casserole ahead of time. We would recommend completely cooking it, letting it cool, and then reheating when ready to heat. We don’t recommend mixing together the ingredients ahead of time and letting them sit overnight before baking as the rice can absorb the broth and create an odd texture.
How do you reheat stuffed pepper casserole recipe?
The best way to reheat stuffed pepper casserole is in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes. You can also sauté it in a pan on the stove until warmed through.
Other healthy casserole recipes:
Here are some of our other healthy casserole recipes that we think you would love:
- Chicken Fajita Casserole
- Southwest Chicken Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Easy Stuffed Pepper Casserole Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced (1 small onion)
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic minced (4 cloves)
- 3 cups diced bell peppers 2-3 bell peppers-any color
- 1 lb lean ground beef 90-93%
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce
- 14.5 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 cups white minute rice
- 2 cups beef broth low or no salt
- ½ cup part skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a 12 inch ovenproof skillet or dutch oven, heat olive oil. Add in garlic, onion, peppers and beef.
- Sauté for 10 minutes or until the beef is browned and the peppers and onions are softened.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, rice and beef broth. Stir to combine.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil. If you don’t have an ovenproof skillet this is the time to transfer to a casserole dish.
- Cover and bake at 375 for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes remove the cover and add cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- By this point all the liquid should also be soaked in by the rice.