This Healthy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole is the perfect quick weeknight dinner. Low carb, full of flavor – it’s gluten free and SO delicious! Easily made paleo + whole30 by leaving off the cheese!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links. This post was originally shared in April of 2018 but has since been updated.
I am the epitome of the ‘I put that s*** on everything’ sticker on the Frank’s Red Hot bottle. It’s just so good and it can make any bland boring meal so much better.
I know I’m not the only one that loves it too. You guys love these Buffalo Turkey Meatballs, and these Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Boats are one of the most popular recipes on my sites! You also love this Greek Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bake.
This recipe is basically a combo of the two!
Traditional casseroles are NOT my thing. I had that they use icky canned soup and mystery ingredients – but when a casserole is veggie packed + delicious – I’m all for it! (This Chicken and Rice Casserole and Buffalo Chicken Casserole are proof of that!)
This Healthy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole can easily be made paleo/whole 30 if you just leave off the blue cheese. I have made it like this before, and it’s SO yummy!
We also have a Buffalo Chicken Casserole with Potatoes Recipe that is just as delicious!
Ingredients for Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole:
To make this buffalo chicken spaghetti squash casserole you’ll need:
- shredded chicken
- buffalo sauce
- olive oil
- blue cheese (optional)
- cooked spaghetti squash
- garlic powder, onion powder, pepper
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
This Healthy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole is something you can get on the table in just about 30 minutes if you time it right or plan ahead.. so let me explain. Ya gotta multi-task!
It’s important that you get the spaghetti squash in the microwave or Instant pot to cook first. That takes the longest. Here’s how to do that.
How to cook spaghetti squash:
- Slice spaghetti squash, put in your instant pot with 1 cup of water.
- Cover + set pot to sealing for 5 minutes.
- Manually release the pressure + shred your cooked squash with a fork!
P.S. – if you love spaghetti squash, you have to try these 25 Low Carb / Keto Spaghetti Squash Recipes
How to make Buffalo Chicken Casserole:
To make this casserole:
- Whisk together your eggs, olive oil, spices + buffalo sauce.
- Add in a bowl with cooked chicken, spaghetti squash, and cheese if you’re using it.
- Mix together + place in a baking dish. Bake in the oven per the instructions below.
Time Saving Tips for making this Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
To assemble this meal quickly – cook all the parts ahead of time!
- Spaghetti Squash: Here is a post on how to cook spaghetti squash in the microwave and here is a post about how to cook spaghetti squash in the instant pot. Both methods take about 10 minutes.
- Chicken: You have a few options for shredded chicken. You can make my Easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken, you can cook the chicken in the crockpot (you’d have to do it the day before or in the morning) OR you can buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it up.. any method will work.
- While your chicken and spaghetti squash are cooking – you can prep the other minimal ingredients, so that you can get it in the oven in no time! Easy peasy!
How to serve/store Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bake:
Can this recipe be made ahead? Absolutely! I actually recommend assembling the casserole ahead of time. You can put everything in the dish and leave it in your refrigerator until you are ready to bake. You can also bake it ahead of time and reheat.
Can this recipe be reheated? Yes, this recipe also tastes great when reheated .. Simply reheat in a microwave or in an oven set at 350°F until center is cooked through.
I think you’re going to LOVE this Healthy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole as much as we did – Tyler took it for lunch 2 days after making it – and he hates leftovers. That’s how good it was 🙂
Substitutions for this spaghetti squash bake:
Buffalo Sauce: You can use any buffalo sauce you like. Frank’s Red Hot is Whole30 compliant and it’s also our favorite, but any buffalo sauce will work!
Cheese – Simply omit the cheese to make this recipe paleo/Whole30 friendly
Blue Cheese– If you don’t like blue cheese, omit it or sub in cheddar, goat, or mozzarella
WW Freestyle Note: Points vary based on what ingredients you use. Spaghetti squash, chicken breasts, egg, spices, and franks red hot are all zero point on Blue plan. Olive oil = 3 SP for 1 tablespoon. Reduced fat blue cheese is 3SP per 1/4 oz = 6SP. 6+3 = 9 for the whole dish. Divided by 4 = 2.5, rounded up is 3.
Other healthy dinner recipes:
Looking for other easy meals? Check out these 40+ Healthy Dinner Recipes. Click here to grab our free healthy 30 minute dinners cookbook.
Love chicken? Check out our favorite healthy chicken breast recipes!
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cook spaghetti squash. For microwave: Fill a microwave safe glass dish with 1 inch of water. Slice spaghetti squash in half + place face down in water. Microwave on high for 10 minutes until cooked. Remove from microwave + shred spaghetti squash. For instant pot: Slice spaghetti squash, put in your instant pot with 1 cup of water. Cover + set pot to sealing for 5 minutes. Manually release the pressure + shred your cooked squash with a fork!
- While spaghetti squash is cooking, make shredded chicken. Follow these directions for the instant pot, or boil on the stove for 10 minutes, or buy a rotisserie chicken + shred.
- In a bowl, mix together olive oil, egg, spices+ Frank's Red Hot. Whisk until combined.
- Add cooked spaghetti squash, shredded chicken + spice/sauce mixture to a bowl and stir until combined. Stir in blue cheese crumbles.
- Pour mixture in a greased 8×8 baking dish. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until top starts to brown. You can broil for one minute to get a crispy top.
- Here is a post on how to cook spaghetti squash in the microwave and here is a post about how to cook spaghetti squash in the instant pot. Both methods take about 10 minutes.
- The other key to this recipe is the chicken. You have a few options for shredded chicken. You can make my Easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken, you can cook the chicken in the crockpot (you’d have to do it the day before or in the morning) OR you can say whatevs and just buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it up.. any method will work.
- While your chicken/spaghetti squash are cooking – you can prep the other minimal ingredients, so that you can get it in the oven in no time! Easy peasy!