Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip is a delicious, lighter version of your favorite appetizer! Easy, gluten free, keto & loaded with flavor – you’ll love it! There is no cream cheese in this recipe (you don’t need it!)
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.This post was shared in 2018 but has since been updated
I mean is there anything better than cheesy, spicy healthy buffalo chicken dip? Let me answer that for you… uh no, no there is not.
Buffalo chicken dip often gets a bad rep, but this healthy buffalo chicken dip is about to change that.
It still tastes absolutely amazing and is just a little bit lighter then regular buffalo chicken dip.
What makes this buffalo chicken dip healthy?
This buffalo chicken dip is so much healthier than regular buffalo chicken dip! Here’s why:
- Low Fat: Buffalo chicken dip is usually made with tons of cheese, ranch or blue cheese dressing and cream cheese which makes it super high in fat. I swapped out cream cheese/dressing for greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Yes.. you read that right, there is NO cream cheese in this recipe!
- Higher Protein: The greek yogurt/cottage cheese mix still makes this rich and creamy, with way less fat and a whole lot more protein!
- Simple Ingredients: Most dips use cream cheese or ranch dressing. This recipe uses simple healthy ingredients! If you want another easy dip, try our Healthy Onion Dip!
I also added a little bit less cheese to it compared to normal buffalo chicken dip, but if you want to go ahead and add more in – I’m not going to tell you no. Live your best life, ADD THAT CHEESE.
Now, let’s get into what you’re here for – how do you make healthy buffalo chicken dip?!
Ingredients for healthy buffalo chicken dip:
Making healthy buffalo chicken dip is ridiculously easy. You only need 6 ingredients.
- Cottage cheese (no you can’t even taste it, I swear)
- greek yogurt
- cheddar cheese
- buffalo sauce
- cooked chicken
How to make healthy buffalo chicken dip:
- Mix together all of your ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into an 8×8 glass baking dish (or a glass pie plate!) and bake!
- You can totally top with extra cheese before popping it in the oven, but you don’t have to!
How to serve healthy buffalo chicken dip:
There’s no wrong way to eat this healthy buffalo chicken dip.. but here are a few ideas
- Chips – these chips are yummy!
- Pretzels – (I love these flat ones for dipping!)
- Veggies – Celery, peppers, and carrots go well with this.
- A spoon… kidding? Not really. It’s that good.
- On a sandwich –Leftovers are delicious in a grilled cheese!
Substitutions for this skinny buffalo chicken dip:
This buffalo chicken dip is pretty easy to make and customize.
Cottage cheese: I haven’t tested this recipe without cottage cheese, but if you’re asking because you don’t like it… just put it in there. I don’t like cottage cheese either (at all!) but I swear you can not taste it in this.
Blue Cheese: I know some people do not like blue cheese, so you don’t have to use it. I have made this with goat cheese and it’s delicious, but you can also sub in more of whatever cheese you like (pepper jack, cheddar, mozzarella, etc.) Any + all cheese will be delicious!
Low fat cheese – I find that low fat cheese do not melt as well as regular cheese. It will work in this recipe if you like it. It likely will make the dip watery.
Vegetarian: We made a vegetarian version of this recipe! Check out our Vegetarian Buffalo Dip.
Can you make this keto buffalo chicken dip in the crockpot?
How to make shredded chicken
You have a few options for how to make shredded chicken.
Rotisserie Chicken: You can buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it up (Save the bones and make crockpot bone broth !)
Boiled chicken: You can boil chicken for about 15 minutes until it is entirely cooked and then shred.
Canned Chicken: You could use canned chicken… but TBH I think it’s gross and bouncy. You do you though! If you do use canned chicken make sure to drain it EXTREMELY well. If you don’t you’ll be left with a water mess.
Storing Buffalo Chicken Dip
Prep ahead of time: You can mix together this dip the night before and put it in the refrigerator (unbaked). When you’re ready to eat let the dish come to room temperature and bake per instructions.
Storing this Dip: This dip will last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Freezing Buffalo Chicken Dip: I haven’t tried freezing this dip but I wouldn’t recommend it. I don’t think it will freeze well. I think it would get watery/ and might not be as creamy.
Reheating Buffalo Chicken Dip: If you need to reheat this Buffalo Chicken Dip – you can put it in your microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until cheese starts to melt.
You can also reheat it in a toaster oven, or use a crockpot set to warm to keep it warm throughout!
Popular The Clean Eating Couple Recipes
- Ham and Potato Soup
- Daily Harvest Price
- How Much Is Butcher Box
- Whole Roasted Chicken
- Easy Crockpot Meals
- Crock Pot Roast
- Banana Muffin Recipe
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a bowl mix all ingredients besides 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese until thoroughly combined.
- Pour dip into a glass 8×8 pan. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of chese + bake at 350 for 25 mins.
- Serve with chips or veggies or choice.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Place chicken breasts in instant pot base. Cover with hot sauce
- Set to pressure cook for 14 minutes. Make sure your pot is set to sealing, not venting. The pot will take 3-4 minutes to come to pressure. Allow it to cook and naturally release for 10 minutes. (You can also quick release if you're in a hurry!)
- Shred chicken with a hand mixer in the pot, or remove from the pot, shred with forks, and return back to the pot.
- Stir in cheese, yogurt, and cottage cheese, tossing until warm.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes until cheese has melted.
- In a bowl mix all ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Pour dip batter into crockpot (top with extra cheese if desired!). Cover and cook for low 4-6 hours or high 2-3 hours.
- Chips – these chips are yummy!
- Pretzels ( i love these flat ones for dipping!)
- Veggies – Celery, peppers and carrots go well with this.
- Instant Pot: You can make my Easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Crockpot: You can cook the chicken in the crockpot (you’d have to do it the day before or in the morning)
- Rotisserie Chicken: You can buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it up (Save the bones and make easy crockpot bone broth !)
- Boiled chicken: You can boil chicken for about 15 minutes until it is entirely cooked and then shred.