A Healthy French Onion Dip Recipe everyone will love! A delicious low calorie, low fat Greek Yogurt Onion Dip- perfect for snacking!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
I know we all love delicious, fun appetizers and they are even better when they are made with healthier ingredients that don’t leave you feeling bad after eating.
We absolutely love our crockpot chicken wings, veggie dip, and of course our popular buffalo chicken dip! However, there is just something about a good creamy french onion dip with caramelized onions that we knew we needed to make healthier too!
We made this recipe lower in fat and sodium than many other recipes and especially the store bought onion dip (typically loaded with preservatives and other weird ingredients).
This dip is perfect for an appetizer, a tailgate party, or any holiday get-together!
Why We Love French Onion Chip Dip With Greek Yogurt
There is a lot to love about this healthy dip recipe. It’s one of our favorite appetizers because it’s:
- Easy to make – Simply caramelize the onions (trust me it’s easy!) and mix all ingredients together for an easy and delicious dip!
- Perfect for a crowd – Everyone will love this super flavorful dip and it’s so easy to make more if you have a lot of people coming together.
- Versatile serving options – You can serve this dip with so many different dippers. Our favorites are below!
What Is French Onion Dip? French onion dip is a creamy, delicious dip that’s made with yogurt and caramelized onions. It’s usually made with mayo or sour cream, but this french onion dip is made lighter with greek yogurt!
What is in French Onion Dip with Greek Yogurt?
To make french onion dip you’ll need:
- olive oil
- non fat greek yogurt
- worcestershire sauce
- dried parsley, garlic powder, salt & pepper
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
How To Make French Onion Dip (Greek Yogurt Recipe)
- In a saute pan, add olive oil and onions. Cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes until onions are caramelized and browned. Let the onions cool for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooled, cooked onions, yogurt, Worcestershire sauce, and spices until combined.
- Serve with chips or veggies & enjoy
Substitutions for French Onion Dip with Greek Yogurt
Onions: Onions are non-negotiable in this recipe 🙂 If you want a dip without onions, try our Veggie Dip!
Greek Yogurt: I haven’t tried this recipe with regular yogurt or a higher fat % greek yogurt. I think it would work fine. I’m not sure how dairy free yogurt would work in this recipe.
Is French Onion Dip Healthy?
How to Serve Healthy Onion Dip
Any of these dippers would be delicious with this french onion dip:
- Chips – these chips are delicious or just regular potato chips!
- Pita Chips/Bagel Chips
- Pretzels – I love these flat ones for dipping!
- Veggies – Celery, peppers, broccoli, and carrots would all be great!
Homemade French Onion Dip Recipe FAQs
Chips, veggies and pretzels go well with french onion dip! But it’s also delicious on a burger or in a sandwich.
No, french onion dip is not usually healthy. It’s often very high in fat and made with sour cream or mayo.
Usually french onion dip is called french because it’s made with dehydrated french onion soup mix.
Other healthy appetizer recipes:
Looking for other easy appetizers? Check out these 50+ Healthy Game Day Snacks. Click here to grab our free healthy 30 minute dinners cookbook.
French Onion Dip With Greek Yogurt
- In a saute pan add olive oil, onions and garlic. Cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes until onions are caramelized and browned. Let the onions cool for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together cooled, cooked onions, yogurt, Worcestershire sauce and spices until combined.
- Serve with chips or veggies & enjoy