The best Crock Pot Chicken Wings Recipe that is SO easy to make! Learn how to make the best slow cooker chicken wings for snacking on!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
If you’ve never made wings in your crockpot, they are so simple to make and get perfectly crispy during the final cooking in the oven.
You only need 5 ingredients and about 3.5 hours to get the most delicious slow-cooked chicken wings!
The Best Crock Pot Wings
Here are just a few of the reasons to try cooking your wings in your crock pot:
- Easy to make – While it does take over 3 hours to make these wings, like the majority of crock pot recipes, it’s pretty much just dump-and-cook other than the final cooking time in the oven to get perfectly crispy skin.
- Super tender – Because they are cooked low and slow, the chicken gets incredibly, fall off the bone tender!
- Lighter than frying – The fat on the wings cooks off, so it’s a little bit lighter than the traditional frying method of cooking wings.
Crockpot Chicken Wings Ingredients
To make these crockpot wings you will need:
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded substitutions box.
How many Chicken Wings in a pound?
Individual raw chicken wings weigh roughly 3 oz each, so there are about 5-6 wings in each pound.
How many chicken wings per person?
I personally find it’s best to do 3/4- 1 lb of raw wings per person when serving. This recipe is made to feed 3-4 people as written, but can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a crowd!
How to make Chicken Wings in Crock Pot
- Toss chicken wings, buffalo sauce, orange juice, and spices in your crockpot
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Before serving, prepare a lined baking sheet. Add chicken wings to the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 425 or until golden brown.
- *Optional: before serving, toss with 2 tablespoons of additional buffalo sauce.
How long to cook Slow Cooker Chicken Wings
For this recipe, the wings are cooked in the crockpot for 3-4 hours on low then 30 minutes in the oven to crisp them up.
How do I make my wings more crispy?
Baking powder can help make your wings more crispy but we don’t recommend it in this recipe. Baking them on a cookie rack that allows the grease to drip away from the wings also helps make them more crispy!
How to cut Chicken Wings
We find it’s best to buy precut chicken wings. If you’re feeding a crowd, it’s much easier and will save you so much time!
You can make this recipe with whole chicken wings, but we don’t recommend it, so if you did find a great deal on whole chicken wings and want to cut them to the traditional drumette, wingette, and tip, here is a helpful video.
We love to get our chicken wings from ButcherBox because they are precut and such good quality!
Substitutions for Crock Pot Chicken Wings
Chicken Wings: You can substitute chicken wings for drumettes. We have not made this with boneless chicken wings.
Buffalo Sauce: You can substitute buffalo sauce for your favorite BBQ sauce, hot sauce or any other wing sauce you like. A warning: sauces with sugar may burn when you bake them in the oven so just watch them carefully.
How to cook frozen Chicken Wings in Crock Pot
We do not recommend cooking frozen wings in the crock pot. This is a food safety issue. If your chicken wings don’t thaw properly, your chicken could be undercooked.
How to reheat Crockpot Wings
Reheating crock pot chicken wings are very easy!
- Oven: On a parchment-lined baking sheet for 400° for 5-10 mins
- Airfryer: 400° for 3-5 minutes
- Toaster oven: Until warmed through
- Microwave: We don’t recommend it!
What goes with Chicken Wings?
Crock pot chicken wings are traditionally an appetizer for game day and would be great served with ranch or blue cheese dressing next to our Healthy Spinach Artichoke Dip or our Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip.
However, if you are wanting to make them as a meal, we think they would go great with:
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Dijon Roasted Potatoes
- Corn Tomato Avocado Salad
- Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- Easy Farro Salad
How to store Slow Cooker Chicken Wings
Refrigerator – These crock pot wings will last up to 4 days in the refrigerator. We recommend storing them in airtight containers.
Freezing – We don’t recommend freezing these wings.
Crockpot Chicken Wings FAQ
Yes, you do need a little bit of liquid in the crock pot for chicken. The water helps steam the chicken and prevents it from burning.
It’s better to cook chicken on low in the crockpot. Cooking food low and slow in the crock pot helps the food be moist, delicious and tender!
It’s best to sauce wings before and after cooking. When you sauce wings before it allows the flavor to soak into the wings. When you sauce the wings after it makes them even more flavorful!
Slow Cooker Chicken Wings
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- A half hour before serving, preheat the oven to 425.
- Optional: before serving, toss with 2 tablespoons of additional buffalo sauce.