This Easy Farro Salad is the perfect vegetarian side dish. Made with wholesome ingredients, vegetables + a delicious basil vinaigrette. It’s quick & tasty! This post is sponsored by my friends at Bob’s Red Mill.
This Easy Farro Salad is without a doubt going to become a staple in your kitchen! It’s got all the best things: chewy farro, fresh corn, tomatoes, salty feta cheese and delicious pine nuts all tossed together in a simple basil vinaigrette.
(Believe me, people will happily welcome a healthy side dish at a picnic – this is way better than potato salad!)
Farro is an awesome grain that we love cooking with. If you’ve never cooked with farro, don’t worry! It cooks similarly to rice or barley, and is very easy to work with!
Why we love Farro:
- Filled with fiber– Farro is a whole grain that’s loaded with fiber and nutrients, including zinc and magnesium!
- Easy to cook – We like to cook our farro on the stove, but you can cook it in the instant pot in under 15 minutes!
- Versatile– Farro pairs well with pretty much anything. It’s great in soups/stews (try it in this Healthy Beef Barley Soup recipe!), with seasonal produce, or used anywhere you’d typically serve rice.
Ingredients for Farro Salad:
To make my favorite farro salad you’ll need corn, tomatoes, feta, pine nuts, farro and a few pantry staples to make the best basil vinaigrette!
How to make Farro Salad:
To make farro salad cook your farro per the directions on the packaging. Make sure you rinse your farro before cooking it to help remove any naturally occurring residue.
While the farro cooks, chop your veggies + whisk together the vinaigrette.
Allow farro to cool, stir all ingredients together + enjoy!
It really is so simple and delicious!
This salad is one of those recipes that as I was taste testing it, I went in for a spoonful.. and another spoonful.. and another spoonful. The combo of the salty cheese/dressing/chewy farro is simply irresistible!
Substitutions for Farro Salad Recipe:
- Dairy Free– We love feta or goat cheese in this recipe, but you can skip it if you are dairy free
- Nut Free – You can omit nuts from this recipe
- Nuts– You can sub in pecans, or chopped toasted walnuts in this recipe for a yummy crunch
- Herb – Try using parsley or even some fresh thyme in the dressing
- Veggies – Cooked zucchini would also be yummy in this recipe. If it’s the fall you can sub in butternut squash or some dried cranberries. You can also add in chopped spinach for more greens!
Other healthy side dishes:
- Vegetable Kebabs
- Healthy Baked French Fries
- Harvest Quinoa and Brown Rice Salad
- Healthy Zucchini Tomato Bake
Easy Farro Salad
For the salad:
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- In a small saucepan, cook farro per instructions on package. Make sure to rinse farro, add to a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 25- 30 minutes until farro is chewy/cooked.
- While farro is cooking, steam corn and chop tomatoes/herbs.
- Once vegetables are cooked/whopped, whisk together dressing.
- Allow farro to cool. In a large bowl, toss cooled farro, corn, tomatoes + dressing together.
- Garnish with feta/pine nuts + enjoy!