This Easy Farro Salad is the perfect vegetarian side dish. Made with wholesome ingredients, vegetables + a delicious basil vinaigrette. It’s quick & tasty! This post is sponsored by my friends at Bob’s Red Mill.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
This Easy Farro Salad is without a doubt going to become a staple in your kitchen! It’s got all the best things: chewy farro, fresh corn, tomatoes, salty feta cheese, and delicious pine nuts all tossed together in a simple basil vinaigrette.
This salad pairs well with basically anything but we love serving it with grilled chicken or burgers! It’s great for meal prepping or bringing to a picnic to share with friends!
(Believe me, people will happily welcome a healthy side dish at a picnic – this is way better than potato salad!)
Farro is an awesome grain that we love cooking with. If you’ve never cooked with farro, don’t worry! It cooks similarly to rice or barley, and is very easy to work with!
We love to use Bob’s Red Mill Farro because it is organic + so reasonably priced! My pantry is filled with all of their grains/seeds, from oats to mixes, to flours.
Why we love Farro:
Farro is such a yummy, hearty grain. It’s so good for you and it tastes amazing!
- Filled with fiber– Farro is a whole grain that’s loaded with fiber and nutrients, including zinc and magnesium!
- Easy to cook – We like to cook our farro on the stove, but you can cook it in the instant pot in under 15 minutes!
- Versatile– Farro pairs well with pretty much anything. It’s great in soups/stews (try it in this Healthy Beef Barley Soup recipe!), with seasonal produce, or used anywhere you’d typically serve rice.
Ingredients for Farro Salad:
To make my favorite farro salad you’ll need:
- pine nuts
- pantry staples to make the best basil citrus vinaigrette!
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
How to make Farro Salad:
To make farro salad:
- Cook your farro per the directions on the packaging. Make sure you rinse your farro before cooking it to help remove any naturally occurring residue.
- While the farro cooks, chop your veggies + whisk together the vinaigrette.
- Allow farro to cool, stir all ingredients together + enjoy!
It really is so simple and delicious!
This salad is one of those recipes that as I was taste testing it, I went in for a spoonful.. and another spoonful.. and another spoonful. The combo of the salty cheese/dressing/chewy farro is simply irresistible!
You can grab Bob’s Red Mill Farro on their website or on Amazon. I usually can also find it in the grain section at my grocery store. You’ll definitely want to grab some to make this recipe!
What is Farro Good With?
This salad is hearty enough that you can eat it on its own, but here are some ideas on what to serve it with:
Is Farro Better For You Than Quinoa?
Both farro and quinoa are good sources of fiber and healthy carbs, but farro has more fiber and protein cup for cup than quinoa. Although, the difference is nominal so if you prefer one vs the other – go for it!
What is farro salad made of?
Farro salad can be made with whatever you like. Our favorite farro salad is made of cooked farro, a dressing, vegetables, and cheese.
Can You Eat Farro Cold?
Yes, you can eat farro cold. It’s delicious warm and cold! This is a cold farro salad recipe
Substitutions for Farro Salad Recipe:
This salad is pretty versatile and easy to substitute depending on what you have on hand.
Dairy Free– We love feta or goat cheese in this recipe, but you can skip it if you are dairy free
Nut Free – You can omit nuts from this recipe
Nuts– You can sub in pecans, or chopped toasted walnuts in this recipe for a yummy crunch
Cheese – If you don’t like feta, goat cheese is a nice mix in or parmesan!
Herbs – Try using parsley or even some fresh thyme in the dressing
Veggies – Cooked zucchini would also be yummy in this recipe. If it’s the fall you can sub in butternut squash or some dried cranberries. You can also add in chopped spinach for more greens!
Farro – If you don’t have farro you can make this with barley or rice.
Farro Salad Recipe
For the farro:
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Organic Farro
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
For the salad:
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, cook farro per instructions on package. Make sure to rinse farro, add to a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 25- 30 minutes until farro is chewy/cooked.
- While farro is cooking, steam corn and chop tomatoes/herbs.
- Once vegetables are cooked/whopped, whisk together dressing.
- Allow farro to cool. In a large bowl, toss cooled farro, corn, tomatoes + dressing together.
- Garnish with feta/pine nuts + enjoy!
- Dairy Free– We love feta or goat cheese in this recipe, but you can skip it if you are dairy free
- Nut Free – You can omit nuts from this recipe
- Nuts– You can sub in pecans, or chopped toasted walnuts in this recipe for a yummy crunch
- Herb – Try using parsley or even some fresh thyme in the dressing
- Veggies – Cooked zucchini would also be yummy in this recipe. If it’s the fall you can sub in butternut squash or some dried cranberries. You can also add in chopped spinach for more greens!
Leave a Review