The Best Easy Taco Dip Recipe made with no cream cheese! This hot taco dip is so quick to make with ground beef & tastes amazing! Great for bringing to a party, it’s keto friendly, healthy, gluten free + yummy! This post is sponsored by our friends at ButcherBox
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
Up until a few months ago, I had never had taco dip. Cold seven layer dip? Yes.. but warm, cheesy, hearty taco dip… no.
After trying it once, I was hooked – but like many party foods, it is pretty heavy so I set out to make my own lighter version!
Why we love this taco dip
We love this taco dip for so many reasons!
- Easy to make! Made with only 10 ingredients – this taco dip takes under 15 minutes to prep!
- Lower fat- Most taco dip recipes are super high in fat and low in protein. This dip is high protein (made with ground beef) and low in fat (made with greek yogurt instead of cream cheese). Making it the perfect healthy snack!
- Delicious – This is one of those ‘Wait.. this is healthy?’ kind of recipes. It is so yummy – perfect for bringing to a party or for a snack!
- Hearty – This dip is filling enough that you can eat it as a meal or a snack! You can also, try our taco casserole!
Easiest Taco Dip
This really is the easiest taco dip, and I’m going to show you just how simple it is to make!
Ingredients for Taco Dip
Here’s what you’ll need to make taco dip
- ground beef (We always use ButcherBox)
- taco seasoning
- greek yogurt
- cottage cheese
- cheddar cheese
- optional toppings: olives, tomatoes, avocado, lettuce, black beans
There are substitutions for this recipe listed below in the green shaded box.
We wrote a whole blog post about why we love ButcherBox but here are a few reasons:
- Convenience: The box arrives with all of the meat frozen + on dry ice. You don’t have to go to the store, or look out for sales to get the best prices…they deliver it right to you.
- Quality: You’re getting grass fed beef, free range chicken, wild caught seafood, and heritage breed pork. Quality of meat is super important to us, and I trust ButcherBox’s standards
- Taste: The taste of ButcherBox’s meat is amazing. Seriously, take it from me… I’m a bit of a food snob. 😂
- Cost: I compared BB’s prices to multiple grocery stores (click here to read) and their prices are considerably lower.
If you want to try ButcherBox – they’re giving my readers free ground beef and $10 off when you join today!
How Do You Make Taco Dip
- In a pan brown ground beef and onions until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Make sure to break up the ground beef so that it is in fine pieces. When finished cooking, stir in taco seasoning
- In a bowl mix together beef/onion mixture, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, salsa, and ¾ cup cheddar cheese until smooth.
- Pour into an 8×8 baking dish and top with remaining ¾ cup cheddar cheese (feel free to add more cheese if you’d like!)
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until the top is bubbling and the cheese is melted!
Once the dip has finished baking you can load it up with all your favorite taco toppings. I used olives, tomatoes, avocado, and green onions.
Substitutions for Taco Dip
This dip is pretty versatile. Here are a few ways you can customize it!
Cottage cheese: I haven’t tested this recipe without cottage cheese, but if you’re asking because you don’t like it… just put it in there. I don’t like cottage cheese either (at all!) but I swear you can not taste it in this.
Cheese: You can use monterey jack or colby jack cheese in place of cheddar. Any shredded cheese will work. We recommend grating your own cheese as it melts much better!
Low fat cheese – I find that low fat cheese does not melt as well as regular cheeses, but they will work in this recipe if you like them. It may make the dip watery.
Vegetarian: I haven’t tried it, but I think you could sub 2 cans of rinsed + drained black beans for the cooked ground beef. You might want to check out our Vegetarian Buffalo Dip or Healthy Easy Bean Dip instead
WW Note: Points were calculated as follows: 85/15 ground beef = 26.6 SP, Cottage cheese = 3 SP for 1/2 cup = 4.5 SP, cheddar cheese = 24SP. Skip avocados + olives as toppings.= 55 for the whole dish, divided by 6 = 9SP per serving. If you use 95/5 ground beef and low fat cheddar cheese it comes out to 30 SP per dish = 5SP per serving.
How to serve taco dip:
There’s no wrong way to eat this healthy taco dip.. but here are a few ideas
- Chips – these chips are yummy!
- Pretzels – (I love these flat ones for dipping!)
- Veggies – Celery, peppers and carrots go well with this.
- A spoon or a fork…Seriously! You can make a meal out of this!
- Over a salad – This is dip is hearty enough that it can be eaten like a casserole or served over a salad.
- With a fun drink – We love our Skinny Margarita Recipe or a Healthy Strawberry Mojito
How long is taco dip good for?
Storing Taco Dip: This taco dip will last for 3 days in the refrigerator
Can you freeze it? We haven’t tried it but I wouldn’t recommend that. This dip is best when served right out of the oven.
Pro Tips for Taco Dip
You really don’t need to dirty your crockpot to make this taco dip, but if you’d like to you can cook it on low for 2-3 hours in your slow cooker!
Your taco dip might be runny if you added too many veggies, used low fat cheeses, or over cooked it.
Taco dip is made of ground beef, cheese, greek yogurt, and all your favorite taco toppings. It’s delicious and simple to make!
7 layer dip can be served hot or cold. It’s most often served cold, but this recipe is a little bit different and served hot!
Taco Dip Recipe
- ¼ cup tomato diced
- ¼ cup olives diced
- ¼ cup avocados diced
- Other options for toppings: guacamole, lettuce, green onions, cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a pan brown ground beef and onions until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Make sure to break up the ground beef so that it is in fine pieces. When finished cooking, stir in taco seasoning.
- In a bowl mix together beef/onion mixture, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, salsa and ¾ cup cheddar cheese until smooth.
- Pour into a 8×8 baking dish and top with remaining ¾ cup cheddar cheese (feel free to add more cheese if you’d like!)
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until top is bubbling and cheese is melted!