Healthy Taco Seasoning is Whole30, paleo, gluten free and SO much better than store bought packets! A quick + easy DIY taco mix that is full of flavor! Low sodium and mild in flavor – a must make clean eating recipe!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
There is nothing better than this easy Healthy Taco Seasoning recipe. Naturally paleo, gluten free + whole30 – this healthy taco seasoning is made with a few spice cabinet staples.
This easy DIY taco seasoning is better for you and cheaper to make than buying packets at the store. It’s loaded with flavor and takes under 5 minutes to make!
I freakin’ love tacos. I always have, and I always will. They’re just SO good. When I was a kid I would look forward to when my mom would make them for dinner. Even now, we usually have them at least once a week. They’re so yummy and easily customizable!
We use taco seasoning on ground turkey almost once a week. It’s a staple in our house, so when I realized what was in most taco seasonings.. I knew I needed to start making my own!
I really don’t like to food bash things, but one of the main things that make tacos so unhealthy are those store-bought taco seasoning mixes.
What makes this Taco Seasoning Healthy?
- Low salt – Most taco seasoning packets have close to 2500 mg of sodium per packet versus this which has 650mg for the equivalent of a ‘packet’.
- Clean Ingredients- If you take a look at any popular taco mix packet at the store you will find that some of the ingredients include Maltodextrin, Modified Corn Starch, ‘Natural Flavor’, and Caramel Color. This recipe has none of that. Just spices from your spice cabinet!
- No Added Sugar – Taco seasoning doesn’t need sugar! This seasoning is completely sugar free which makes it whole30/keto
Plus.. It’s RIDICULOUSLY EASY to make! Let me show you how to do it.
Ingredients for Whole30 Taco Seasoning:
You can omit/swap seasonings as you’d like – but this is the recipe we always stick to!
How to make Healthy Taco Seasoning:
To make healthy taco seasoning – simply add all your spices in a jar or airtight container. Shake and and you’re ready to go! That’s it!
With this blend… you won’t need those packets again! I know that the packets can be super convenient sometimes, but once you make your own spice blend, you won’t want to go back.
Making your own spice blends can be just as quick (and even cheaper). I make a giant batch of it once every few months, store it in an airtight container, and then whenever it’s taco night (pretty much every Tuesday in our house) I just sprinkle it over ground turkey.
Seriously.. it couldn’t be easier!
How to cook with this Healthy Taco Seasoning:
When you’re ready to cook with this taco seasoning, just brown your ground meat in a pan with olive oil. Stir in 2 tablespoons of seasoning per one pound of meat right before it’s done cooking.
If you want a ‘saucier’ taco meat, add 1/4 cup of chicken stock, broth or water to your pan when you stir in the seasoning.
What to put Healthy Taco Seasoning on:
This seasoning goes great on anything but here are a few ideas
- ground beef or ground turkey
- ground chicken
- sliced chicken breasts
- sliced vegetables
How to make low sodium taco seasoning:
This is a relatively low sodium taco seasoning. The nutrition facts for this recipe are a little misleading, as the 624 mg of sodium are per 2 tablespoons of seasoning. If you divide the 2 tablespoons of seasoning among 1 lb of meat – typically 1 lb of meat serves 4 people. Which means the serving is actually around 200mg of sodium per serving.
Healthy Taco Toppings
- Salsa. We like this Pineapple Mango Salsa
- Hot Sauce
- Non Whole30: cheddar cheese, black beans
Healthy Recipes to pair with your tacos:
We love serving these salsas/drinks with tacos!
- Pineapple Mango Salsa (Whole Foods Copycat)
- Healthy Peach Cucumber Salsa
- Lighter Watermelon Mojitos
- Healthy Strawberry Mojito
How to make your own Whole30 Taco Seasoning:
Healthy Taco Seasoning
- In a jar, add all spices. Shake + store in an airtight container.
- When cooking: Use 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning per 1 lb of ground meat when making tacos. You do not need to add liquid, but you can add 1/4 cup chicken stock if you'd like for a 'saucier' taco meat!
Did you know I have a FREE 7 Day Whole30 Meal Plan? Click here for the details!