Healthy Mexican Potatoes are the perfect side dish! Roasted to crispy perfection, paleo, whole30 and absolutely delicious – they go with everything!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
Feeling bored with your normal dinner side dishes? These Mexican Potatoes are for you!
These potatoes are perfectly crispy on the outsides and seasoned with your favorite taco – inspired flavors. You’re going to love them!
It’s no secret that I have a love affair with crispy potatoes.. they’re kinda my thing.. and I’ve got slew of recipes to prove it:
Delicious Crispy Potato Recipes:
- Crispy Dijon Roasted Potatoes
- Smashed Potatoes
- Crispy Garlic Thyme Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Sheet Pan Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- Spiralized Rosemary Potatoes
And now… I’ve got a new one to add to the list: these crispy mexican potatoes. They *might* just be my new favorite roasted potato. Mainly because they combine two of my favorite things: taco seasoning and carbs.
This isn’t an authentic Mexican recipe, but it’s delicious and easy to make!
Ingredients for Crispy Mexican Potatoes:
To make roasted Mexcian potatoes you’ll need:
- olive oil
- spices: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon.
We use my taco seasoning to season the potatoes!
How to make Mexican Potatoes:
To make roasted Mexican Potatoes
- Cut your potatoes into small cubes.
- Once the potatoes have been cut, mix together your spices.
- Toss potatoes, spices and olive oil in a large bowl. Lay out on a parchment lined baking sheet + bake!
Tips for crispy roasted potatoes:
Getting crispy potatoes isn’t as difficult as you’d think! Here are a few things to do for super crispy roasted potatoes in the oven:
- Cut the potatoes in 1/2 inch small pieces so they can get browned on all edges. Larger pieces will work but will need more time.
- Make sure you evenly coat all the potatoes with olive oil and spices. The olive oil will help the potatoes get crispy when roasting!
- You want your oven to be at a high temp. Roasting the potatoes at 450 for almost an hour is what will give them that perfectly crunchy outside! If your potatoes don’t seem crispy after 40 minutes, maybe give them a few more minutes or broil them. Everyone’s oven is a little different and yours just may require a few more minutes!
Substitutions for Mexican Potatoes
Potatoes: Any potato will work in this recipe, but see below for the best potatoes for roasting. We like roasted russet potatoes and that’s what we used for this recipe!
What are the best potatoes for roasting?
Starchier potatoes like russet and sweet potatoes are great for roasting because they are most absorbent.
You can use red skinned or fingerling potatoes in this recipe and it will be equally as delicious but may not be as crispy!
Reheating these potatoes:
These potatoes reheat really well. They’ll last for up to 5 days in an air tight container in your refrigerator.
I have reheated them in the toaster oven, oven, or a pan to reheat. If you microwave them, they will not be as crispy – but they’re still tasty!
To reheat in your oven or toaster oven, set the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner. Place in the oven for 5-10 minutes, tossing halfway, until potatoes are warm and crisp on the outside.
To reheat in a pan: spray your pan lightly with olive oil. Turn up to high heat. Add potatoes to the pan. Heat for 4-5 minutes, until potatoes are crisp on the outside, stirring occasionally.
If you love Mexican food/flavors, you’re going to love these potatoes.
I think they’re subtle enough that they go with pretty much any meal, but I’ve included some of my favorites for you to try them with!
Recipes to pair these Mexican Potatoes with:
- Cast Iron Steak
- Lemon Rosemary Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Healthy Crockpot Pulled Pork
- Whole30 Potato Crust Quiche
Healthy Mexican Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 450 + line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat baking sheet.
- Cut potatoes and mix together spices. In a bowl, toss together chopped potatoes, olive oil + spices. Make sure all pieces are evenly coated.
- Spread out potatoes on lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Flip/stir potatoes to make sure sides are getting evenly roasted. Bake for additional 15-20 minutes until potatoes are browned.
- If your potatoes are not getting crispy, turn your oven to broil for a few minutes, making sure to watch that they don’t burn.