Learn how to make Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas! The best easy slow cooker chicken fajita recipe that everyone will love. Healthy and delicious!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
We absolutely love tacos in our house and they are a meal we are guaranteed to have at least once a week, whether as a taco bowl, with traditional flour tortillas, or on a salad.
If you’ve never had fajitas before, they are basically just tacos’ veggie packed cousin. They are loaded with delicious bell peppers and onions and are so versatile.
While they are still super easy to make on the stovetop or on a sheet pan, they are even easier in the slow cooker!
These easy crockpot chicken fajitas take only 10 minutes of prep and 8 ingredients for a protein and veggie packed dinner that your family will love!
P.S. – If you love crockpot recipes, check out these 45 Healthy Crockpot Recipes or Healthy Crockpot Chicken Recipes
why we love Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas
There is a lot to love about this recipe. It’s one of our favorite healthy dinners because it’s:
- Great for meal prep – These slow cooker chicken fajitas last 5 days in the fridge, so it is perfect for healthy meal prep!
- Easy to make – This is such an easy recipe because you just layer the ingredients in your slow cooker, shred the chicken once cooked, and enjoy!
- Simple Ingredients – You probably already have almost everything you need to make these slow cooker fajitas!
Ingredients for Crock Pot Fajitas
To make crock pot fajitas you’ll need:
- chicken breasts
- red, yellow, and green bell pepper
- taco seasoning
- fresh lime
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita
- Mix Rotel, honey, and garlic in a slow cooker. Place onion and bell peppers on top. Layer chicken on top and coat with seasoning.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or cook on high for 4 hours. Remove chicken and shred and mix chicken back in the bell peppers onion and Rotel mixture.
- Serve warm on tortillas or by itself with limes!
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR SLOW COOKER FAJITAS
Rotel: You can substitute Rotel for canned tomatoes or diced tomatoes with green chiles.
Honey: You can replace honey with maple syrup or skip it entirely. Skip if Whole30.
Bell peppers: Any color of bell peppers will work in this recipe.
Chicken: You can also make steak fajita by substituting the chicken with steak. We also have a Shrimp Fajitas recipe you can try or a Chicken Fajita Casserole Recipe
Taco Seasoning: We use homemade taco seasoning. It’s way lower in sodium than the packaged kind.
WW Points: Will vary depending on the plan you follow. This is a very low/no point recipe. Olive oil will be the only high point ingredient. I’d estimate 1 point per serving.
Can I make this ahead of time and freeze it? Yes, you can make slow cooker chicken fajitas ahead of time and freeze them for up to 6 months after initially cooking them. Thaw completely in a refrigerator before re-heating and serving.
Oven Baked Fajitas
You can also make crockpot chicken fajitas in an oven. Place in a baking dish cooked at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165 degrees and the bell peppers are soft.
We also have a Stovetop Chicken Fajita recipe.
Chicken Fajita Toppings
Here are some of our favorite toppings for chicken fajitas:
- sour cream
- pineapple mango salsa
- more cheese
- Mexican rice
- tortilla chips
- black beans
How to Store Easy Chicken Fajitas
Storing: You should store crockpot chicken fajita in an airtight container in a refrigerator for up to 5 days or in a freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw completely before reheating and serving.
Freezing: You can freeze this recipe in a freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw completely before reheating and serving.
We like these containers for freezing ! Code CLEANEATINGCOUPLE works to save $$ on them!
Reheating: You can reheat this recipe in the microwave, toaster oven, oven, or on the stove.
How to Serve Crock Pot Fajita Recipes
Crockpot chicken fajita is best served warm and is a complete meal on its own. Here are some of our favorite things to serve with them:
- Avocado Ranch Salad if you’re looking for extra veggies
- Healthy Easy Bean Dip
- The Best Skinny Margarita Recipe
- Healthy Strawberry Mojito
- Alongside rice & beans
- In a tortilla with any of the above mentioned toppings!
Crock Pot Chicken Fajita FAQ
No, you can’t use frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot. This is a major food safety issue. If chicken is not entirely thawed it may not cook thoroughly. If you want to use frozen chicken to make shredded chicken, we love this instant pot recipe.
Chicken fajitas are done when the internal temperature of the fajitas has reached 165 degrees.
The best way to ensure your fajitas are tender is to pound the chicken before you cook it. This helps your chicken fajitas stay nice and tender!
Other healthy dinner recipes:
Looking for other easy meals? Check out these 40+ Healthy Dinner Recipes. Click here to grab our free healthy 30 minute dinners cookbook.
Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas
- 1 10 oz can of Rotel
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3 cups bell pepper cut in strips
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup taco seasoning low sodium
- limes for serving
- In a 6-8 quart crockpot, mix Rotel, honey, and garlic.
- Place onion, red pepper, yellow pepper, and green pepper into the crockpot over the Rotel mixture.
- Layer chicken over peppers and coat with taco seasoning.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. The chicken’s internal temperature should be at least 165 degrees and easy to break apart.
- Using forks or a shredding tool, shred the chicken and mix with peppers and Rotel mixture.
- Serve warm on soft tortillas or by itself with limes for fresh lime juice.
Leave a Review