This Whole30 Chicken Fajitas Recipe is the perfect healthy, low carb dinner. Fresh lettuce wraps are loaded with veggies, lean chicken and guacamole for a simple gluten free, paleo fajitas dinner that is ready in under 30 minutes. This post is sponsored by my friends at Vital Proteins. I’m loving their new Bone Broth Collagen!
THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS.“AFFILIATE” MEANS THAT WE MAKE A LITTLE BIT OF MONEY IF YOU CLICK ON AND PURCHASE THE PRODUCTS THAT ARE LINKED. WE APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT! The photos for this post were updated in May of 2018.
Is Fajita Friday a thing? If not I think we should make it one. Cause Taco Tuesday has NOTHING on these Whole30 Chicken Fajitas. They’re basically my new favorite dinner. (And don’t worry, even if you’re not doing a Whole30 this is a delicious paleo chicken fajitas recipe that regardless of your diet anyone will love!)
You guys probably already know this from my last post (Remember those Whole30 Chocolate Coconut Bites?) but I did a mini Whole30 a few weeks ago. I was feeling pretty junky, and knew I needed to do something to figure out what was going on.
I haven’t completely cracked the code on what bothers me – but I have a good hunch that it’s dairy. We’ll see. I’ll be doing a Pinner test in a few weeks – so that will help with nailing down my food sensitivities.
Either way, I’d say about 90% of our meals are Whole30 friendly already. We don’t eat a ton of grains/gluten (Tyler eats more than I do) and we try to minimize our sugar intake (with the exception of an occasional square of dark chocolate after dinner. We do, however – add cheese to a lot of things. A little sprinkle of Parmesan goes a long way, but we had to give it up for a bit.
I was okay with letting go of some of my favorite things for a few weeks.. but one thing I was NOT going to give up was Mexican food. No joke – we eat Mexican food (usually tacos) at least once a week. We keep it pretty simple with a whole wheat tortilla, ground turkey, guac, cheddar cheese, salsa and our own healthy taco seasoning.
But tortillas and cheddar cheese aren’t Whole30 friendly.. and neither are your traditional fajitas. When you think of fajitas, you probably think of your traditional tortilla, refried beans, maybe some cheddar cheese and sour cream.. All things that are delicious, but not Whole30 friendly. I’ve found there are a few simple swaps to make Whole30 fajitas
How to Make Whole30 Fajitas
- Improvise friends. You gotta’ improvise.
- Swap tortillas for lettuce wraps– I’m normally not one for lettuce wraps because I find that they’re usually super messy and just can’t hold up. But Tyler’s dad gave us some of this amazing lettuce that he grew in his garden, so it was perfect for subbing on the tortilla front.
- Find Whole30 approved salsas to top your fajitas so you don’t miss the cheese and beans– This Pineapple Mango Salsa (Whole Foods Copycat) is a great topping to tacos or fajitas. So is guacamole! Both are so full of flavor you won’t even miss the cheese!
- Load up on spices! Great spices can make anything taste good! This Whole30 fajita seasoning recipe is easy and made with spices you have in your pantry. I blended a mix of my favorite spices and Vital Proteins Bone Broth Collagen to create the perfect flavor packed dish. When the spices mix with the moisture of the veggies you have this yummy paleo/whole30 fajita sauce that is DELICIOUS!
Whole30 Chicken Fajitas
This Whole30 Chicken Fajitas Recipe is the perfect healthy, low carb dinner. Fresh lettuce wraps are loaded with veggies, lean chicken and guacamole for a simple gluten free, paleo dinner that is ready in under 30 minutes.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cleaned pounded + cut into ½ inch thick strips
- 2 cups bell peppers, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup onion, cut in thin slices (approx 1 small onion)
- 2 stalks romaine lettuce (enough for 10-12 lettuce pieces)
- 2 tbsp Vital Proteins Bone Broth Collagen
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Optional: Fresh salsa, guacamole for topping
In a pan, heat olive oil. Add chicken to the pan and cook on medium high heat until chicken starts to brown, approximately 15 minutes
While chicken is cooking, whisk together all spices + Vital Proteins Bone Broth Collagen and set aside. Slice peppers/onions.
Once chicken has cooked, add peppers, onions + spices to the cooked chicken/onions. Reduce heat to medium and cover the pan. Stir occasionally, cooking until peppers/onions start to soften, approximately 5 minutes.
Serve mixture in romaine lettuce wraps + top with guacamole/fresh salsa.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 288 Fat: 13g, Carbs: 13g, Protein: 34 g
This Bone Broth Collagen added SO much flavor to the dish. I thought my normal spice mix was pretty delicious, but this took it to a whole new level. It also added in an extra 9 grams of protein which is pretty crazy! In addition to learning that fresh produce + great spices are key to a successful Whole30, I also learned that you need a TON of protein to keep you full. Having that extra boost was awesome.
If you didn’t know, all of Vital Proteins products are Whole30 friendly. I put the regular collagen peptides in my coffee every day, but this Bone Broth Collagen is a great thing to have on hand for a snack, or to add extra flavor to dishes!
You can get the nutrition facts for this recipe here.
Looking for other Whole30 dinners? Try these!