Easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken uses only 4 ingredients and is so simple to make! You can even cook from frozen for a healthy meal prep recipe! Paleo, keto whole30, and perfect for adding to soups, salads or with veggies.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
I debated calling this recipe ‘stupid easy instant pot chicken’ because it’s THAT simple – but really.. this recipe is stupid easy.
Whether you’re an instant pot pro or newbie – I promise you can totally handle this and will love the perfectly juicy, delicious shredded chicken it makes!
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Video
I don’t know if it’s the high pressure, or the fact that you can’t really see whats going on in the pot… but it is intimidating!
When I finally got the courage to fire up the instant pot, I figured I’d ease into it with something simple like shredded chicken. Can’t mess that up, right? Especially when you only need 4 ingredients!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Shredded Chicken:
It came out so good on the first try, that I wound up making it almost every week to use in different recipes. It goes with/in anything! Plus, it literally takes under 20 minutes, and makes the most perfect, juicy shredded chicken. You gotta try it!
How to make instant pot shredded chicken:
Set to Sealing, Pressure Cook or Poultry for 14 minutes.
When finished – either naturally release pressure or manually release pressure, shred chicken + enjoy!
How to shred instant pot chicken
You can shred your chicken with forks or with a mixer.
With Forks: You can shred this chicken simply by pulling apart with two forks. It will be super tender.
With a mixer: My favorite way to shred chicken is by using a mixer. I toss the cooked chicken into my KitchenAid Mixer with the paddle attachment and give it a few whirls. That’s all it takes!
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken from Frozen:
You can make this recipe using frozen chicken breasts. Simply add 4 extra minutes to your cook time for a total of 18 minutes and 1/4 cup of extra broth.
What kind of chicken can you use?
I prefer to use chicken breasts but you can use boneless chicken thighs or chicken tenders too! Both come out delicious using this method.
You can use bone in chicken thighs or drumsticks too, add one minute to your cook time.
Substitutions for this shredded chicken recipe:
This shredded chicken recipe is pretty versatile – here are some of the ways you can customize it.
- Broth – You can use any kind of broth in this recipe (veggie or beef will work) or you can just use water.
- Salt/Pepper– You don’t have to add salt/pepper to this. You can leave the chicken plain and season as you eat, or you can add other spices to it! We have done this with Italian seasoning and it was delicious!
- Meat – Chicken breasts, thighs, or tenders will all work in this recipe!
- 2 lbs – Increase your cook time by 1 minutes. For 3 lbs, increase your cook time by 2 minutes
- Seasoning – You can use any seasonings on this. We like to use our Healthy Taco Seasoning on it, but any spice mix will do!
- Tomatoes – I like to add 1/4 salsa or crushed tomatoes to the pot for flavor.
- Crockpot – You can cook chicken in the crockpot on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
Can you overcook chicken in an Instant Pot?
Typically it’s very easy to overcook chicken, but in the instant pot it is difficult to do. Pressure cooking really locks in the flavor and moisture of chicken. I wouldn’t cook 1 lb of chicken past 20 minutes in the pressure cooker, but if you do, it probably won’t even be over cooked.
How long do I cook chicken in an Instant Pot?
I cook 1 lb of chicken in the instant pot for 14 minutes on high pressure. If the chicken is frozen I do 18 minutes on high pressure. For each pound of chicken, I increase cook time by 1-2 minutes.
Why is my chicken dry in an Instant Pot?
If your instant pot chicken is dry, you may have over cooked it. Don’t worry – you can fix this! Stir your cooked chicken with 1/2 cup of chicken broth and store it with the excess broth. The chicken will absorb the liquid and get a more moist texture. Next time, try cooking your chicken for 14 minutes on high pressure
Storing Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Storing: This chicken will last for 4 days in your refrigerator in an airtight container. We like to store it with the broth leftover from cooking to keep the chicken moist.
Freezing: I have frozen this shredded chicken in small bags or containers. When ready to defrost, simply take out the night before and let it defrost in the refrigerator overnight or simply heat from frozen in the microwave or in a pan. The chicken should last 2-3 months in the freezer.
How to use Instant Pot Shredded Chicken:
Here are some instant pot shredded chicken ideas for you! This chicken is so versatile, it really goes with anything!
- We love adding this chicken in soups, salads, or just plain on it’s own. It’s great for meal prepping and serving with Crispy Smashed Potatoes and Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- Chicken Quinoa Veggie Power Bowls
- Lemon Chicken Soup
- Whole30 Greek Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bake
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
Easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Place chicken breasts in instant pot base. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour broth into base.
- Cover the instant pot and set to Poultry OR Pressure Cook. Set to Normal, High Pressure for 14 minutes. (If frozen, do 18 minutes). Make sure your pot is set to sealing, not venting.
- Allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure + cook. (It should take about 5 minutes to come to pressure)
- Once it is finished cooking, manually release pressure or naturally release the pressure.
- Remove chicken from instant pot and place in separate bowl. There will be extra liquid in the instant pot. You can use this in soups, as cooking stock or discard.
- Shred chicken apart with forks + enjoy! (Note: chicken can also be shredded by placing in mixer on low speed!)
- Broth - You can use any kind of broth in this recipe (veggie or beef will work) or you can just use water.
- Salt/Pepper- You don't have to add salt/pepper to this. You can leave the chicken plain and season as you eat, or you can add other spices to it! We have done this with Italian seasoning and it was delicious!