Easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken is made with only 4 ingredients and so simple. Paleo, whole30, and perfect for adding to soups, salads or with veggies.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
I debated calling this recipe ‘stupid easy instant pot chicken’ because it’s THAT simple – but really.. this recipe is stupid easy.
Whether you’re an instant pot pro or newbie – I promise you can totally handle this and will love the perfectly juicy, delicious shredded chicken it makes!
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Video
I’m not going to lie – the instant pot scared me for a while. I got it as a gift and left it in the box for a few weeks because I was too nervous to break it open.
I don’t know if it’s the high pressure, or the fact that you can’t really see whats going on in the pot… but it is intimidating!
When I finally got the courage to fire up the instant pot, I figured I’d ease into it with something simple like shredded chicken. Can’t mess that up, right? Especially when you only need 4 ingredients!
It came out so good on the first try, that I wound up making it almost every week to use in different recipes. It goes with/in anything! Plus, it literally takes under 20 minutes, and makes the most perfect, juicy shredded chicken. You gotta try it!
How to make instant pot shredded chicken:
- Add chicken, broth + spices to the instant pot
- Set to Manual for 14 minutes.
- Manually release pressure, shred chicken + enjoy!
How to shred instant pot chicken
You can shred your chicken with forks or with a mixer.
- With Forks: You can shred this chicken simply by pulling apart with two forks. It will be super tender.
- With a mixer: My favorite way to shred chicken is by using a mixer. I toss the cooked chicken into my KitchenAid Mixer with the paddle attachment and give it a few whirls. That’s all it takes!
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken from Frozen:
You can make this recipe using frozen chicken breasts. Simply add 4 extra minutes to your cook time for a total of 18 minutes and 1/4 cup of extra broth.
What kind of chicken can you use?
I prefer to use chicken breasts but you can use thighs or tenders too! Both come out delicious using this method.
Substitutions for this recipe:
- Broth – You can use any kind of broth in this recipe (veggie or beef will work) or you can just use water.
- Salt/Pepper– You don’t have to add salt/pepper to this. You can leave the chicken plain and season as you eat, or you can add other spices to it! We have done this with Italian seasoning and it was delicious!
How to use Instant Pot Shredded Chicken:
- We love adding this chicken in soups, salads, or just plain on it’s own. It’s great for meal prepping!
- Chicken Quinoa Veggie Power Bowls
- Paleo Buffalo Chicken Nachos
- Whole30 Greek Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bake
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
Easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Place chicken breasts in instant pot base. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour broth into base.
- Cover the instant pot and set to Poultry OR Manual. Set to Normal, High Pressure for 14 minutes. (If frozen, do 18 minutes). Make sure your pot is set to sealing, not venting.
- Allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure + cook.
- Once it is finished cooking, manually release pressure.
- Remove chicken from instant pot and place in separate bowl. There will be extra liquid in the instant pot. You can use this in soups or as cooking stock or discard.
- Shred chicken apart with forks + enjoy! (Note: chicken can also be shredded by placing in mixer on low!)
- Broth - You can use any kind of broth in this recipe (veggie or beef will work) or you can just use water.
- Salt/Pepper- You don't have to add salt/pepper to this. You can leave the chicken plain and season as you eat, or you can add other spices to it! We have done this with Italian seasoning and it was delicious!