This Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe is the perfect light dinner. Learn how to make chicken pot pie in under an hour for a delicious meal!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
Chicken Pot Pie is such a classic comfort food that is perfect for a chilly day!
We love taking dinners that typically are a little more on the unhealthy side and lightening them up and loading them with veggies.
This pot pie is just as delicious as your traditional recipe and even has a perfectly flaky crust!
Why we love this Healthy Pot Pie Recipe
This is such an easy and delicious meal and we love it for so many reasons:
- Hearty & delicious – This chicken pot pie is loaded with veggies and is so filling!
- Tastes like the ‘real’ thing – You won’t be able to tell that this pot pie is healthy because it’s so creamy.
- Perfect cold weather food – There’s nothing better than cozying up with a big plate of warm chicken and veggies with delicious crust on a cold day!
- Lower in calories/carbs – This chicken pot pie only has a crust on the top, which gives it that classic taste and texture while keeping it lower in calories/carbs!
Light Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
To make this pie crust you will need:
For the filling, you will need:
- cooked chicken
- carrots, celery, onion, garlic
- whole wheat flour
- chicken broth
- milk of choice
- frozen peas, frozen corn
- olive oil
- dried thyme + dried rosemary
- salt and pepper
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded substitutions box.
Is Chicken Pot Pie Healthy?
Typically it’s not because most recipes are loaded with butter, cream, and condensed soups.
Our recipe is healthier because it is veggie loaded and made with lean protein!
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
- In a pan, heat olive oil. Sauté onion, garlic, carrots, and celery until tender
- Add spices, flour, and chicken broth, bring to a boil while stirring.
- Once boiling, add in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens.
- Stir in cooked chicken, frozen peas, and corn.
- Pour your filling into a greased 9-inch pie plate.
- Preheat your oven to 375°.
- Make your crust. Cover your filling with the crust and poke a hole in the center.
- Bake the pot pie at 375° for 35 mins. You should have a golden brown crust. Allow it to cool for 5 minutes and enjoy.
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR HEALTHY CHICKEN POT PIE
Gluten Free/Whole Wheat Flour: I haven’t tried making this recipe with anything but whole wheat flour. I think regular white flour or gluten free 1:1 flour would work but can’t be sure without trying it.
Butter: We don’t recommend substituting butter. It really helps give this crust a nice texture and taste. Without it, you will be left with a very dry crust.
Chicken: There are lots of different ways you can cook the chicken for this. We like using leftover chicken from a rotisserie chicken, Whole Roasted Chicken, or Crockpot Shredded Chicken Recipe. This recipe is definitely better when made with a mix of light and dark meat that you can get from a whole chicken.
Spices: Feel free to add more or less dried spices to taste.
Vegetables: Feel free to add more veggies to this recipe. If they are frozen, just make sure they are defrosted and drained.
How do you thicken Chicken Pot Pie filling?
This recipe’s filling naturally thickens when it cooks on the stove and you add the milk and flour.
Cornstarch can also be used for thickening the filling. Mix together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2-3 tablespoons of warm water to create a slurry. Stir into your veggie/chicken mixture over low heat until it thickens.
Individual Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Variation
We don’t recommend making this chicken pot pie in individual ramekins. It’s meant to be made in one large dish.
However, you can follow the recipe as is and place the filling in individual ramekins. Cut out the crust using a circle cutter and top as you normally would a pie.
The individual portions may cook quicker, so check them after 20 minutes.
Can this Healthy Pot Pie Recipe be made ahead?
Yes, this healthy pot pie recipe can be made ahead. Make your filling and crust as written in the recipe. Assemble the pie, cover with foil and leave in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before baking.
When ready to bake, remove it from the refrigerator 1 hour before putting it in the oven and set it on the counter. You never want to put a cold dish in a hot oven because it can crack.
Storing and Reheating Healthy Chicken Pot Pie
This chicken pot pie stores & reheats very well!
Storing: You can store this chicken pot pie in the refrigerator for up to 3 days
Does this recipe freeze well? Yes, you can freeze chicken pot pie.
Bake Ahead: You can bake the pot pie ahead of time and freeze cooked.
Freeze Raw: You can also assemble the pot pie and leave the crust unbaked. We recommend freezing in a disposable metal pie plate because glass plates can crack
Reheating: We like to reheat this chicken pot pie in the microwave. You can also reheat it in the oven.
If reheating from frozen:
If already baked: Thaw the night before In the refrigerator. Reheat In the oven at 375 for 5-10 minutes,
Bake from frozen: Bake the pot pie from frozen at 350 for 1 hour.
What to serve with Chicken Pot Pie?
This chicken pot pie is a complete meal in itself, but you could also serve it with:
- Green Beans Almondine
- Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Honey Thyme Garlic Carrots
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
How to cook chicken:
You have a few options for shredded chicken.
- Cook in Instant Pot: Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Cook in Crock Pot: Crockpot Shredded Chicken
- Roast a Whole Chicken & Shred- Try our Oven Roasted Chicken or Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it up
Any method will work!
Healthy Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion diced finely
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced -about 3 cloves
- 1 1/2 cups carrots cut in small circles
- ½ cup celery diced finely about 2 stalks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth low or no salt
- 1 cup milk regular or nondairy
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped or shredded. About 3/4 lb raw or 2 breasts
- 1 cup frozen peas defrosted + drained of liquid
- 1 cup frozen corn defrosted + drained of liquid
- Add spices, flour and chicken broth, bring to a boil while stirring.
- Once boiling, add in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens.
- Stir in cooked chicken, frozen peas and corn.
- Pour your filling into a greased 9 inch pie plate.
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- Roll your dough into a round ball and press flat. Place the dough on a floured surface or place between 2 sheets of wax paper and roll until it is large enough to cover your pie plate. Cover your pot pie filling with the crust and poke a hole in the center.
- Bake the pot pie at 375 for 35 mins. Allow it to cool for 5 minutes and enjoy.