This Crustless Chicken Pot Pie Recipe is so easy to make! Loaded with tender chicken and veggies – this is the perfect one pot meal!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
When you want cozy comfort food, but you’re in a hurry – Crustless Chicken Pot Pie is for you! Unlike other pot pies that are high in fat or made with creamy soup, this crustless chicken pot pie is easily made gluten free and made with wholesome ingredients!
Chicken Pot Pie crust can be a pain to roll out, but this is a hearty meal that has all the flavors of chicken pot pie with way less work (and only one pot to clean!)
Chicken Pot Pie
why we love Chicken Pot Pie with no Crust
There is a lot to love about this gluten free chicken pot pie recipe. It’s one of our favorite healthy dinners because it’s:
- Easy to make – Rolling out chicken pot pie crust can be a pain, but this recipe has no pie crust!
- Simple Ingredients – This recipe is made with the most basic ingredients, chicken, frozen veggies, and some pantry staples are all you need!
- Perfect cold weather food – There’s nothing better than cozying up with a big plate of warm chicken and veggies on a cold day!
Ingredients for Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie
For this crustless chicken pot pie you’ll need:
- olive oil
- chicken breasts
- onion, garlic
- carrots, celery
- whole wheat flour or tapioca flour
- chicken broth
- frozen peas and corn
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
Ingredients for gluten free chicken pot pie
How to Make Gluten Free Chicken Casserole
- Heat olive oil over medium heat; add chicken and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, and celery, and saute for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add spices, flour, and chicken broth to the chicken/veggies and bring the pot to a low simmer while stirring.
- Once boiling, add in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens.
- Stir in frozen peas and corn until coated.
How to Make Thick Pot Pie Filling Gluten Free
The key to making thick pot pie filling gluten free is tapioca flour! It’s the perfect substitute for regular flour to make a thick pot pie filling.
Some people use xantham gum, but I find this gives a gummy texture.
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR CRUSTLESS CHICKEN POT PIE
Chicken Breasts: You can substitute with boneless chicken thighs or chicken tenders.
Dried Spices: Feel free to use more or less dried spices!
Flour: You can use white all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, or tapicoa flour to make this recipe gluten free. All can be used interchangeably, for the same amount.
Milk: I like making this recipe with whole milk, but you can also use non dairy milk.
Vegetables: Feel free to add more veggies to this recipe. If they are frozen, just make sure they are defrosted and drained. Spinach or green beans would be delicious additions!
Serving Suggestions For Chicken Pot Pie Filling
This crustless chicken pot pie is a complete meal in itself, but you could also serve it with:
- with bread or toast
- over roasted veggies like Green Beans Almondine, Garlic Brussels Sprouts, Honey Thyme Garlic Carrots, Roasted Asparagus
Crustless Chicken Pot Recipe FAQ
If your filling is water, it likely hasn’t simmered long enough, you forgot to add the flour, or the frozen veggies weren’t defrosted and drained before adding to the mixture.
In this crustless chicken pot pie recipe, carrots, celery, peas, and corn are included, and for extra veggies, try spinach or green beans!
You can freeze pot pie filling! We like these containers for freezing!
How to Store Chicken Pot Pie
Storing: This will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
Freezing: You can freeze this recipe for up to 3 months. We like these containers for freezing!
If you need more freezer friendly recipes check out our Fill Your Freezer Ebook with 22 easy freezer meals!
Reheating: You can reheat this recipe in the microwave, on the stovetop in a greased pan.
Other healthy chicken dinner recipes:
Looking for other easy meals? Check out these 40+ Healthy Dinner Recipes. Click here to grab our free healthy 30 minute dinners cookbook.
Crustless Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken breasts cubed in nickel sized squares
- 1/2 cup onion diced finely
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic minced about 3 cloves
- 2 cups carrots cut in small circles
- ¾ cup celery diced finely about 3 stalks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour or tapioca flour for gluten free
- 1.5 cups chicken broth low or no salt
- 1.5 cup milk regular or nondairy-room temperature
- 1.5 cup frozen peas defrosted + drained of liquid
- 1.5 cup frozen corn defrosted + drained of liquid
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add cubed chicken to the pot and cook for 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add spices, flour and chicken broth to the chicken/veggies. Bring the pot to a low simmer while stirring. The mixture should start to bubble and will start to thicken.
- Once bubbling, add in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens.
- Stir in frozen peas and corn until coated.
- Serve as is or over cooked rice.