This Healthy Zucchini Tomato Bake recipe is an easy way to use up all your summer vegetables. Fresh, healthy and full of flavor- it’s the perfect side dish!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
Is there anything better than sweet tomatoes, fresh zucchini and melty cheese? Nope! And this Healthy Zucchini Tomato Bake is just that!
This low carb veggie side dish is easy, delicious and quick to make!
Years ago Tyler’s mom made a variation of this Healthy Zucchini Tomato Bake and I’ve loved it as a side dish ever since!
It’s the perfect way to use up summer produce. We always have an abundance of squash and tomatoes, and it’s so quick to slice them up and bake them with a little bit of parmesan cheese!
If you’re looking for other healthy zucchini recipes – check out these 30 Healthy Zucchini Recipes!
Truthfully this is one of the easiest dishes that you will ever make.
How to make Healthy Zucchini Tomato Bake:
This vegetable bake is SO easy to make.
First – slice your zucchini + tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick. Then, layer zucchini + tomatoes in a pan. You can make a pattern like I did, or just toss them in there!
Mix together your parmesan cheese, olive oil and herbs. Drizzle over veggies. Bake in the oven and you’re done!
It’s seriously so delicious and simple!
If your garden is over flowing, you just need a quick summer side dish, or you’re looking for an easy way to get in veggies this winter – this Healthy Zucchini Tomato Bake recipe for you!
Things we used to make this Healthy Zucchini Tomato Bake:
Substitutions for this zucchini tomato bake recipe:
Veggies: You can use all green or all yellow squash in this recipe. You can also add chopped onion.
Chopped Veggies: You can chop all of the vegetables in pieces and mix them up in a bowl if you don’t want to arrange them. Chop in 1 inch cubes.
Fresh Basil: If you don’t have fresh basil, you can substitute 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
Mozzarella: We like to add 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella to this recipe for even more cheesiness!
Vegan: To make this vegan use vegan parmesan, or omit cheese completely
Breadcrumbs: This is delicious with 1/8 cup of panko breadcrumbs sprinkled on top!
Making ahead: You can make this up to 24 hours in advance and bake when you’re ready to eat.
Storing: You can store this in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
Freezing: We don’t recommend freezing this dish. Frozen veggies can get very watery.
Other healthy side dish recipes:
- Healthy Lemon Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
- Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Harvest Quinoa and Brown Rice Salad
Healthy Zucchini Tomato Bake
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a pie dish or 8x8 baking dish with oil
- Slice the tomato and squash into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Layer the squash and tomato in a pattern, side by side until the pan is full
- Whisk together chopped basil, olive oil, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Pour it over vegetable mixture until covered.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until vegetables are slightly tender. If you like your vegetables cooked well, keep the dish in the oven for an extra 5-10 minutes.
- Optional: Top with additional parmesan and optional hot pepper flakes
- You can use all green or all yellow squash in this recipe
- You can chop all of the vegetables in pieces and mix them up in a bowl if you don't want to arrange them. Chop in 1 inch cubes.